Hasbro Applies For A Brand New Anti-Theft, Anti-Tamper Packaging Patent

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    tenor.gif
    ...I don't think they are comparable?

2. octobotimus

octobotimus Lost in space

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Think they are, a giant square block is forced into the engineering just to attach it to the box. Actually your right this patent is way worse :confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matt Random

Matt Random Well-Known Member

Especially if the directive is something that came from up the management change. Although, this seems like the usual matter of patenting before someone else does so that you don't run into issues if you ever decide to do it. I can't really see Hasbro using this over the various types of ties.

I think the upper end Transformers lines will go for windowless boxes as opposed to open windows. It just seems safer for a toy with lots of moving parts. But, let me tell you, I triple check the tape and compare it to the others on the shelve anytime I buy something that's in a windowless box. The open window packages seem best suited for the youngling focused lines since it allows them to touch the toy which creates a connection and results in a bigger outburst when mommy and daddy say no.

4. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know, it's a proposed physical application to the figure to prevent sales being hurt. In the case of rubsigns it was lost sales to parents buying the wrong transforming robot toy. In the case of this it's lost sales to TikTok buttholes encouraging people to steal parts of toys in open packaging or cheap scumbags getting their money back with a toy swap.

5. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Has likely offended u. Sorry!

1) The head theft thing is perplexing. There's a bizarre new trend of stealing figure heads. Marvel's Vulture is seldom found with a head. I dont know what the trend is or where it originated, but it's becoming a serious thing. If u think Generations TFs will be immune to this... :rolleyes2 

2) You know a great solution to that closed box prob? PROPRIETARY TAPE. Yeah, back before "costs went up and our CEOs get auto pay raises regardless of sales", some companies did special tape on boxes. If that tape is cut, it's rather hard for a scammer to get ahold of the branded tape to reseal the box!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Venomus Rodimus

Venomus Rodimus REDisPOWER

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    No comment.

7. firmpulse

firmpulse milliradian practitioner

This is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard.

8. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    that was literally RID15, except they were crappy app stickers that went defunct before the toyline did

9. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    meh. Doesn't affect me. I'm not worried.

10. Chareos

Chareos Needs New Omnibots

News Credits:
    This post made it worth reading this thread

• Like Like x 3
  11. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

No need to indent or better yet, based on my suggestion, the rub sign need not be ubiquitous but in a part that can be seen like under a panel to be seen during transformation (like those embossed serial numbers of recent figs) :ev: 

12. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like the article is misleading and/or mistitled then? It seems like this isn't so much for anti-theft purposes. I'm not sure how that conclusion was reached anyway, if you're stealing why would you need a way to re-attach?

13. cybeast

cybeast Not Spinister, But Punster

Imo, Rubsigns could at least be incorporated into the TF's "disguise", since there's no way to know if it's an Autobot or Decepticon (assuming the rubsign also cleverly being placed and reveal the symbol)

Compared to a little plastic tab that does nothing, and you push it INSIDE and PERMANENTLY after buying and opening the toys.

14. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    It's because of Tik Tok. Started with LeBron James figures and spread.

15. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    Not entirely true. You patent ideas you have because once you have them and start developing them there's a risk someone beats you to market.

Don't companies like Nintendo have patents for tech that never actually happened? Like that pulse sensor?

• Like Like x 1
  16. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stupid idea. There is no way the incorporation of this "feature" can avoid diminishing the aesthetic of the product.

17. octobotimus

octobotimus Lost in space

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, but I’ve also seen companies patent ideas for something in games that tracks your spending and tries to incentivize you with players and difficulties to try and get you to spend cash. At the time they said they had no plans on using it. Then mysteriously people noticed it was starting to creep into certain games.

18. Cykill 1

Cykill 1 Well-Known Member

Looks like Hasbro is going the way of what they do for large diecast cars.  If you wanted the toy, you had to remove a million screws to take out before you got to fully take the toy out of the packaging.  You also had to have the right screwdriver(s) too.  For anti-theft, I think that is more a store issue than Hasbro.  The stores could just put them behind a glass cabinet where you have to have an employee come and unlock the cabinet so you could obtain the item.  Also, I doubt that stores will obtain a lot of those spider devices for toys.  

19. cybeast

cybeast Not Spinister, But Punster

Imagine buying one of the toys with this, then the tab broke either due to weak mold or anything.

You're then left with an unwanted hole because they "forced" you to buy the toys with this... thing

:p 

20. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Stocking them behind glass doesn't stop people from taking the toy home, swapping it, and then returning it.

Spider wraps also do very little to stop actual theft, too, people who are going to steal just take the whole thing and remove the wrap later. Plus they're a MISB collector's worst nightmare.

No, if they're going to stop swapping and parts theft (which everyone agrees is bad), it has to be with packaging design. This may not be the best method, but it shows that they're working on it.