Hasbro announces First Hascon for 2017 & New Fan Club

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Inciteful, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Yeah this just sounds like all kinds of crap. So more expensive than even Botcon had been for far less and in a much more obscure area. Don't get me wrong, I went in '07. I have no desire to attend but I am curious from those who do what it's like, I just see nothing appealing about this other than if you're big into autographs or live close enough that it's a short drive and have kids.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There isn't much I'm interested in. It'll be interesting to see if this show is successful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TCJJ

TCJJ 117% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Geez, that's quite a jump in price between adults and children.

I'm still not sold on the idea of HasCon though. I don't it's BAD but I feel like the Transformers brand stands on its own better than most of Hasbro's IPs, and if it doesn't dominate HasCon (which I'm pretty confident it will), I'll be surprised. I feel like a new, official Transformers-focused convention is inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF Hasbro? A booth for $1,000 and all you get is a 6ft. table, 2 chairs, an ID sign, and ad on the webpage and 4 badges??? And, if I'm reading it right, for $2,500 you get twice the space, still only 1 6ft. table, the same sign, the same webpage ad and 2 extra badges? That's 2 and a half times the cost for less than half an upgrade? These guys make FP look like genius business folk by comparison.

A typical Botcon would give us 3 tables, 2 chairs, 2 badges and an exclusive figure with the same amount of space for less than half of that price. I could double all of that and still spend less than that at Hascon apparently.

Good luck to those Dealers daring enough to go for this. I wish I could join you, but I don't like to lose money and I don't see how this could be profitable for me.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    HasCon is the next failure. We will have to wait for the next BotCon, it's been awhile and it might be awhile.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SG Unicron

SG Unicron Well-Known Member

Thank you Hasbro, for giving me another reason not to attend.

• Like Like x 1
  7. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    I was really wanting to go... really hoping that it would give us a reason for not allowing for a stand-alone Transformers convention in addition to this one (like MLP and GIJoe will have for a couple years).
    I still have a lot of thinking to do, but it isn't looking likely now.
    If this becomes an annual thing, and the only thing for Transformers Brand team interaction, reveals and convention exclusives, I don't want to regret missing one (like I did when I missed BotCon 2006)... but the expense for someone like me to attend, I need it to have more value than maybe two or three Transformers panels (compared to two or three full days at BotCon), and a location that is worth spending a couple days exploring, preferably with a friend or two.
    There isn't even mention or hint of a Hasbro HQ tour either... which would be a motivating factor, as it would be hard to put a price on that experience.

The other frustrating factor for me to consider is that all of the things the US$600 + tax VIP package pays for, are not guaranteed. If by chance they sell tickets really well to fans of other Brands being featured, you could be paying all that money and not get VIP seating at any of your desired panels (only 50 seats available, and you have to line up 40 minutes beforehand, which could prevent you doing other things)... the Evening events are only available to the first people who line up until they reach capacity... same with the Green Screen experience. At least FunPub only sold a limited number of VIP and Golden Tickets, and made sure they catered to that number.
    It just makes it even more risky for me to spend several thousand dollars to go to a Convention, and not be guaranteed access to the small number of things I would want to attend.
    A lot to think about.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    According to their own site, the booths are not being sold with any reference to location. You are specifically promised the size of your space and a number of tables, chairs, and dealer badges. Which numbers do no not scale in line with the cost of the space. You actually pay more and get less in terms of tables, badges, and chairs as you go up.

I would almost bet money on it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    It feels like they got the lawyers to organise their convention. :/

• Like Like x 3
  10. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

BotCon was fantastic because BotCon had charm. It had a lively group who loved Transformers, new toy reveals, and many exclusives. But each year there was a story that went along with it and made us feel hype and emotion.

Those may seem bias and maybe it is, but this doesn't have that charm. Do i want a convention for all of Hasbro's brands, yes it seems like in idea but current day Hasbro's are to afraid to take the slightest risk that will cost them money. Sure the reveals will be there for more than just TF but after that we already run into problems. Hasbro sees their brands as profit but the team at BotCon actually cared. Hasbro on their own will be like, "and this is Titans Return Trypticon" then they'll go on a long motionless and scripted monologue. The story is gone with no comics and I don't see any hints of exclusives. Nothing is guaranteed even if u pay for VIP, which is just to warn u "dude, don't pay for this, cause it's not worth it anyway, bur you may not even get it."
    They would've made BotCon except for TF, MLP, G.i Joe, Etc but the risk to their wallets was too big.

Hopefully, they go to SDCC and have a good lineup of new stuff for TLK, TR, RID CF and even RB. Cause this is gonna be a commercial failure. I could use the bathroom and claim to have gone to HasCon. It's flushing money down the toilet and then burning it.

Also and maybe I'm overthinking this, but that G1 style OP is animated similarly to the one from those NYTF slides showing G1 characters. And unlike past convention advertisements, no RID anywhere. Perhaps the end is near?

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    Wow I love how it says you can't bring your own item to get signed WTF!!!! How all you botcon haters feel now lol

• Like Like x 3
  12. Doc Pirahna

Doc Pirahna Well-Known Member

I never got to go to a BotCon since it was usually too far to justify. I thought this might be a good opportunity but this just sounds… sterile. It just doesn't sound like they quite get it.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Hooper_X

Hooper_X pro wrestling, anti fascism

Huh. $600 is steep. That being said, I wonder if TF fans are really the core audience here - the only SUPER SPECIAL FAN PACKS are for Magic and D&D, and of those two, the Magic pack is the one that sounds vaguely worth it (I don't even play MTG, but if one of the exclusives is an official Transformers card, that's pretty rad).

The D&D stuff sounds like the existing Adventurers League program, with a guaranteed session seat all weekend. If you're a hardcore AL player, that might be cool, as they do convention specials where your PC can basically get "exclusive" gear they can then use at all future AL games.

That being said, the entire TF contingent being Cullen and Welker is, well, okay.

I also wouldn't mind getting to see Stan Lee. Dude's 92. You ain't gonna get many more chances to shake his hand and then yell at him for ripping off Kirby and Ditko.

14. Hooper_X

Hooper_X pro wrestling, anti fascism

For what it's worth, NERF and Play-Doh consistently outsell Transformers, and M:TG is easily Hasbro's most profitable franchise as far as expenses/revenue. All it is is cardboard. You need a team of game designers to keep play fresh, and the rest is either freelancers (art and copy) or volunteers (tournament organizers, play testers).

There's a REASON this early announcement went hard on Magic/D&D. Hell, I'M tempted by the D&D stuff and I don't even play 5e.

I'm interested to see what happens, honestly - how many parents/families are they gonna snag with this pricing PLUS the expense of going to Rhode Island?

(There's clearly more stuff coming - "hall if fame dinners", etc)

Also, wondering how a theroretical 3p ban would extend to other franchises - could I bring earlier-edition D&D books to sell? TSR-era? What about d20 system books? Pathfinder? Shadowrun?

15. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Well, I'm happy I'm going to NYCC.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Prediction: Hascon is going to bomb so hard that the UN is going to list it as a weapon of WMD and ban them from holding another.

Seriously though, this kind of thing was either going to be a complete success or bomb, and right now, it\'s leaning towards bomb. I may be wrong of course and underestimating the fantacism of the MTG crowd(I know it\'s super big.), but DND Geeks go for Dragon Con, and other events. The pricing on this seems a little high, and I just don\'t have the faith in them being able to run a convention right. I hope they prove me wrong though.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My biggest worry about this is that one of the two unknown boxed sets will be a Hascon exclusive (and the other a SDCC exclusive). That could make it difficult for people to complete their clones.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CowardlyZebra

CowardlyZebra Autobot Meme Dealer

Iam probably going to go considering its a 10 minute drive from where i live. Hopefully the MLP shit will be far from the Transformers stuff though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 The Machine Wars Guy

News Credits:
    That seems kind of... greedy.

I wanted to give Hasbro the benefit of doubt but with that rule it's now clear to me that this is nothing more than a cash grab.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Remember, TFCON USA is the same month too, and it\'s a lot cheaper to attend.  Plus it\'s TRANSFORMERS focused.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.