Hasbro And DC Comics Settle Bumblebee Trademark Dispute

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by pie125, Aug 15, 2018.

1. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I'm having a bit of trouble parsing your response. Are you asking a question? If so, I don't know the answer vis-a-vis merchandising, but I expect that the character rights are held, without conflict, by each company. As to merchandising, at least part of the answer would depend on whether or not the concept has ever been challenged in court. Someone else more knowledgable about the cases regarding "Enchantress" characters would have to weigh in.

2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

That's exactly my point.

Sueing someone for using the word Bumblebee has nothing to do with protecting brand or product names, it's just speech regulation. I know animals are unable to own property which is why I was pointing out how rediculous the idea of a law suit over the name Bumblebee is. You're the one with the wild fantasies if you think that the word Bumblebee on it's own is a valid Trade Mark.

It's weird how you claim I have no idea what I'm talking about and claim I'm wrong while repeating exactly the same thing. If I'm wrong then feel free to correct me but so far you're just supporting that everything I've said is true.

3. Esquilax79

Esquilax79 Decepticon Cassette

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Riiiiiight? I didn't even know she existed until the Young Justice cartoon a few years back.

It's still stupid. Glad this didn't tank the movie.

4. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    The movie, itself, was never in jeopardy. Worst case scenario, it could have meant having to call the movie and the toys associated with it by another name. But even the character of Bumblebee himself would have been untouched, and still able to be called that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Esquilax79

Esquilax79 Decepticon Cassette

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    "Autobot Bumblebee" everywhere!!!

6. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    That wouldn't have cut it, I imagine. The prefix is usually used to strengthen a mark that hasn't yet been claimed elsewhere. In the "worst case scenario" I cited, one would have to assume that the mark was claimed by DC, or at least not by Hasbro.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I submit for the sake of argument that no one in the world ever confused the Transformer Bumblebee with the DC Hero Bumblebee.
    Ever.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DeletedUser_117894

DeletedUser_117894 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going to upload your comments in a nice video. My friends will enjoy it. Thanks for playing.

• Like Like x 2
  9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Glad this is settled, while on the surface it looked silly as hell for hasbro to sue over they had to protect their trademark.

Now as i see it there are 2 likely agreements and one rather unlikely one:

first the likely ones

1. as per a secret agreement DC's Bumblebee from now on will use a descriptor such as DC's, Teen Titan or etc.

2. Hasbro and DC agreed there is unlikely to be no confusion and dropped the legal action. This is less likely than the above but not out of the realm of reasonable possibility.

and the less likely, as in i could not see this happening.

Hasbro agrees DC had prior rights to the Bumblebee name and surrenders the trademark and has to use Autobot Bumblebee from here on out.

This is very unlikely given the movie and is merchandising is already set to go and it would cost tens millions of dollars to rebrand everything.

The only thing i am truly sure of is in settlements like this each side agrees to pay their own legal fees.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Snowflake Melter

News Credits:
    Heh, my favorite part about this so-called update and article is how no one actually knows how this was settled, what the settlement was, how everyone official approached for comment were basically like "fuck off", and how absolutely nothing worth citing is present anywhere other than an ambiguous "it's over now" conclusion... yet people are debating the legal relevance of the lawsuit even happening in the first place.

Hilarious.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Go right ahead, as long as you don't leave out the part where you insist it's possible Trade Mark common words without using any sort of other describers to differentiate them from their common meaning. In other words according to your argument, we can no longer refer to flying yellow and black striped stinging insects as Bumblebees because supposedly Hasbro or DC own that word according to YOU.

You claim I'm wrong, I asked you to show me how I'm wrong and you came back with this nonsense about how you're going to try to imbarass me to your friend who I can only assume also believes that common words can be trade marked. Honestly you're only going to embarrass yourself.

You told me in a earlier post to read a book. I suggest you read about the public domain and fair use laws which is where common words like Bumblebee reside.

Also I've seen two different threads on this same nonexistent issue and they really should both be locked. There's nothing to really discuss in such a topic except how rediculous it is for anyone to think that anyone can actually trade mark the word Bumblebee. As someone else pointed out no one seems to know anything about the supposed settlement other than it's over now. Usually a real law suit news article would include more detail but we got nothing here. You know why? Because it never even happened, the entire story is obviously fake. If Hasbro actually tried to sue DC over the use of the word Bumblebee and it some how managed to make it in front of a judge they'd just rule, it's a common word protected under fair use became it's a common word in the public domain, neither company can ever claim to own the word.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  12. MINDVVIPE

MINDVVIPE "The powers of darkness..."

From a nerdy "realistic" pov, I would have been fine if Bb's name got retconned into being just "Bee". I mean, how the eff did bumblebee get into Cybertronian vocab. And before you comment on the fact that many other names use human words, I could say that those are just translations from Cybertonian equivalent words for the most part. Bumblebee is extremely human specific.

That said, I'm sure there are probably other examples where it is extremely human specific. Beast wars has it's share im sure.

13. DeletedUser_117894

News Credits:
    You'd have to be dumber than a bumblebee to type this. Just filed a trademark for "SaberPrime" just to piss you off.

14. Tman978

Tman978 CHILL REVIEWER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yay......Is this a yay moment?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Took them long enough!

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Whole thing is stupid.

No one has the right to solely own that word, and everyone should have the right to say or use it.

Good thing his name isn't "Oxygen" or Hasbro would try & trademark air itself.

17. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    :rolleyes: 

18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I'm glad you agree, so then what the heck are we even arguing about. Lol

Also good luck with that... not the fileing for a Trade Mark part, that's totally possible, but the pissing me off part. I don't get pissed off that easily. It's a profile name I created for a forum where we talk about toys and cartoons made for kids. It's not worth getting upset over. Lol

This is really the funniest comment I ever read, can't prove me wrong, resort to name calling and empty threats. Have fun with your childish temper tantrum. Let me know when you learn to communicate like an adult.

19. DeletedUser_117894

News Credits:
    Says the guy who thinks Trademark laws ban you from calling things other things, goes on rants about suing bees, and claims links and comments he hasn't read agree with him and assumes he knows things that he doesn't know and are self evidenctly untrue.

• Like Like x 3
  20. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, they dug her out for that failed toyline