Hasbro and Amazon Announce "Frustration Free Packaging"

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by NBE77, Sep 19, 2019.

1. autoclave

autoclave Banned

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Keep in mind the tfcc ramjet paint scraping fiasco due to the box lid rubbing on the top of the tf figure.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    - once online has decimated the majority of retail sales, Hasbro might start offering these on storeshelves with simple card slip covers over the brown boxes. They'd have to take precautions to deter product switching, but it could be done. The competition will probably have gone down the same route by that stage, and retailers won't have the leverage to demand otherwise.

3. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Terrific concept!
    Go Hasbro!

4. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    This is no doubt (in part) to cut costs. I’m totally on board because (a) I prefer the simple Selects like packaging; (b) I take figures out and generally don’t keep packaging; and (c) anything that reduces environmental impact is a plus to me.

However, there’s a massive difference between a big doll made of soft plastic and a complex transformer, so they’d better get it right if they want to use it for Transformers. And yes, it’s not a good development for those who care about packaging/artwork.

• Like Like x 3
  5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Note that they didn't show how the doll was secured in the "frustration free" package. They just glossed right over that. The guy already seemed like a dumbass having a hard time cutting an inch of tape on the standard box, yet, somehow, he had no problem slicing all the way across the Amazon box. He also did not know about scissors apparently.

Also, 1984 called. It's called styrofoam. Right now, I pack shipping boxes with biodegradable starch-based peanuts. Why not make "styrofoam" out of those?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  6. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    It means no such thing. All of that packaging art can easily be shifted to a collector card inside the package, much like during Prime Wars.

And we already have "Frustration Free Packaging" Transformers. They're called the Select Series.

As you pointed out, Select Series is practically this already.

Easy: You seal the cardboard box with a sticker denoting what's inside. Much like FunPub did with TFSS and the Select Series do with the label. LEGO already has this. Taped lids have a seal that can easily denote something that's already been opened.

Hell, if you're worried about "product switching" you put the barcode on the brown box and a window in the slip cover. Just like DVDs have done for years. That way it doesn't matter what cover you put on it...the product is what gets scanned.

Would work online and at retail. Take a fairly non-descript brown box and slap a printed label with the brand and some artwork denoting what's inside. The only way in to the box is to break a seal that clearly denotes what's inside.

That way anyone can tell if something has been opened, and if there's a slip cover they can easy check the inner box to ensure there hasn't been a swap.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Wait... This is something the senior vice president does?

Whatever...
    I'm just glad they're at least trying.
    I'm all for reducing packaging waste. Even if it means the company gets to save money :eek: 

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  8. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rational, responsible me: I think this is great and really in no way hinders my enjoyment of these products. Besides, I really do despise those little elastic bands they use now. Being better for the environment in theory makes it even better.

Selfish me: I miss heavy cardboard thickness boxes with gaudy metallic lettering on big unnecessary flaps that stick up. And I miss literal styrofoam, the squeaking sound it made, the feel of lifting G1 toys out of huge carved bricks of the stuff that are far larger than they need to be for the product, oh yeah. Bring it back, gimme gimme.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    What I've liked about transformers packaging:

1 art
    2 product photos of all modes
    3 character fiction

#3 has been on a decline for a long time, #1 can be solved by cards inside the packaging, but #2 may suffer from this...

And since the instructions aren't always the best, sometimes those product photos are the only was to know where panels belong

• Like Like x 3
  10. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Less frustration with disposal of boxes. Cool.

• Like Like x 2
  11. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I'd worry about that, but then TFW, TFWiki, and countless reviewers also already exist.

I've used Peaugh's videos as a guide more than I've read instructions.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    Looking at the selects boxes I'm warming up to this idea... if they get rid of the printing on the inside of the box I can even reuse the box for sending out gifts or Ebay items

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I might actually start throwing the packaging away instead of saving everything.

14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Very true. At this time Hasbro might as well chug the instructions and establish a deal with experienced reviewers.

15. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    It's going to make it so much easier now to not only steal toys, but now when swappers (the people that buy the toy then swap it out and return some other toy for a "free" toy) swap the toys you'll never know they did it til you get it home and bam. you got a completely different toy than advertised. Toy Swappers are going to looooooooooooooooooove this. They already get away with it enough as it is in most stores. (which pisses me off to no end)

• Like Like x 1
  16. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I'm guessing you don't actually know what Styrofoam is?

"Styrofoam is a trademarked brand of closed-cell extruded polystyrene foam (XPS), commonly called "Blue Board" manufactured as foam continuous building insulation board used in walls, roofs, and foundations as thermal insulation and water barrier."

aka Styrofoam is Styrofoam.

17. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

i like the idea, my only concern is storing things back in the box at least with the box example they showed, it looks like they would rattle around when putting them back in

18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I know exactly what Styrofoam is. I was describing how it was used and suggesting it could be replaced with a biodegradable starch-based formula. That's why it was in quotes.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would think this fandom could get behind the idea of 3rd party styrofoam.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    Yes! Plus, I found the old Styrofoam trays pretty frustration free compared to modern plastic and ties.

• Like Like x 4