Hasbro acquires Power Rangers for $500 Million. Bring on Megazord vs Predaking!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by allew, May 1, 2018.

1. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

Yeah but you can tell you licence holders what to do with it, or risk losing it, they wanted to kill off Bumblebee in the original ongoing but Hasbro blocked it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Even imagining Hasbro cared or even noticed the names of the people writing and drawing the BOOM comics, telling IDW who to hire is a silly, meaningless idea that accomplishes nothing. IDW can't force anyone to work for them. And if Hasbro gave half a crap who was working on the books, they'd already have been telling IDW NOT to hire a lot of the people who have already written and drawn many of the Hasbro property books over the past decade. Quick, IDW-- hire Alan Moore to write Transformers or we will take away the license! lol

3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That's not really the same thing.

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Hello! I am the (Former) webmaster of TokuNation, our sister site that covers Power Rangers :)  I am deeply enriched in all of this stuff, so let me try and assist with answering some questions and clarifying some facts.

- By end of this quarter (May-July) this deal will finalize. That means Power Rangers, in its entirety, will be the intellectual property of Hasbro. Let me say that again - Hasbro is the 100% owner of Transformers ... and now are the 100% owner of Power Rangers. Let that sink in for a few minutes.
    - All current license deals with Saban Brands are grandfathered in to Hasbro. Once Hasbro is the 100% owner, they can do what they please but will have to pay penalties for voiding contracts/deals/etc.
    - "Now Power Rangers toys will be crap!" - say people who've never held a Power Rangers toy lately in their hands. Bandai America literally tried to sell a giant, hollow parts-forming Megazord (Lion Fire Fortress Zord), with the only paint being in two spots (the rest simply mold-colored plastic), for $100 at Toys'R'Us. Before liquidation, it was selling for $20. Well, at least it was priced that low, don't know if it was selling.
    - Saban Brands didn't buy back "Transformers Robots in Disguise 2001" from Disney. Thus, this isn't part of the deal. That is still owned by Disney.
    - Digimon rights belong with Toei. The rights that Saban Brands held expired and were not renewed because Digimon Fusion was a complete and total disaster, both show and toy wise. Ironically, Digimon Tri is a smash hit. Go figure.
    - BOOM! Studios is the current license holder for Power Rangers comics. It's speculated their license runs through March 2019.
    - BOOM! Studios is a very progressive, very positive-energy place to work. Where IDW Publishing has lately felt like they make splashes just so they can say they make waves, BOOM! Studios quietly goes about their business creating amazing pieces of work that resonate with larger and larger amounts of audiences. They aren't trying to be Marvel or DC, and it shows .... Power Rangers comics perform better in terms of sales/orders than any single title of IDW Publishing.
    - We don't know anything about the deal, if the deal still exists, with Toei and Super Sentai. Some are speculating that Hasbro will negotiate with Toei later this year and that Beast Morphers, which is Go-Busters which Saban had the rights to already, was chosen while Hasbro worked on a new deal with Toei. Obviously, only Hasbro, Toei, and Saban know that for sure and no one is sharing

I, for one, am so excited about this. If and when Saban Brands is out of the picture entirely, I will share some stories of just how difficult people had working with them to create Power Rangers content whether it be toys, comics, etc. Let's just say ... Saban would nitpick lines of dialogue in a comic, how a character was drawn, an expression on their face ... yet can't be bothered to double check that they didn't accidentally let any non-Power Rangers Super Sentai heroes show up in their marketing material.

• Like Like x 11
  5. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

The cheap hollow plastic syndrome is not only strong in Hasbro, it is also strong in Bandai America. Current Power Rangers are as bad as current Transformers, some of them are even worse.

This is not a great news , talking about toys, both companies have big quality issues but it can be a great opportunity for new xover stories , the current Hasbro Universe, that would be awesome!

6. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So which version of My Pet Monster do you guys think Hasbro might use for fiction? The Live-Action direct to video one or the cartoon one?

7. shin03

shin03 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. As much crap we give hasbro for changes to the transformers line, the power Rangers Toys lately have been infinitely more terrible. Dollar store toys at masterpiece prices

• Like Like x 5
  8. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

I wonder if Hasbro will bring the Megazords into their US masterpiece line. They know it's money there. Who knows if they will start their own legacy line of figures to scale with marvel legends.

9. HeroJr

HeroJr Maximal

The first Power Rangers series came on television at a time when I had "outgrown" kids shows. TMNT was my cutoff, actually, as I was nine years old when Transformers debuted, so around thirteen or so when the Ninja Turtles came on the air. If MMPR came on in '93, then I was about eighteen and "too old" for such a silly show. Interestingly, I liked campy shows at that time, as I really enjoyed Pee Wee's Playhouse when it was on the air a few years earlier, and I liked reruns of Ultraman on the oddball channels, but MMPR just didn't click with me.

Now, as an adult with a elementary-aged child, I revisited Power Rangers to see if it would be something to watch with my daughter. I Googled for opinions on which series are entertaining and landed on Jungle Fury. I have watched fair amounts of Jungle Fury on Netflix and found it to usually manage the tightrope of not taking itself seriously while still moving story and characters along a little bit each episode. RJ, the spacey adult mentor for the gang, was an interesting tweak on the formula, while Casey really hit some believable notes as a whiny teenager who thinks he's more ready than he actually is. The fight choreography in Jungle Fury also struck me as more inventive than many snippets of Rangers I had seen. Just a few weeks ago, I started up another PR series: Dino Charge. While it is not quite as entertaining as Jungle Fury, I am finding that the acting has the right balance of earnest and silly. I like the dynamic, angular designs of the costumes and equipment. The fight choreography is pretty rote, however.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

News Credits:
    Oh boy, just when I thought I might be able to get my spending under control, I see this news. If Hasbro releases waves of marvel egends style power rangers with BAF villains then I’m screwed. My SHF Rangers are in desperate need of some foes to foil.
    Must haves are- Bones, King Sphinx, Eye Guy, Rita, Zedd and the whole moon gang, Scorpina and Goldar, Cardiatron (probably paired with Hatchasaurus,) Terror Toad, Ivan Ooze (of course) and everybody’s favourite, Pudgy Pig.
    It appears my unrelenting collecting days are far from over.

11. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ??? With the execption of the sales bump for #25 it pretty much performs similar to TMNT and has been out performed recently by the launch of Star Wars Adventures.

12. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    The first season of Dino Charge is rather good. Super Dino Charge kind of lost my interest...

13. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    There's been some bright spots. The Legacy Megazords are pretty darn good with only a few notable flaws (stickers on the first Megazord, issues with Thunder Megazord's knees, etc.). They aren't Masterpiece/Soul of Chogokin level figures...but you get a figure we SHOULD have been treated to 25 years ago versus what was offered back then.

And some of the main line Megazords in Dino Charge and Ninja Steel are decent...although you can tell the difference between those and the BoJ versions, for sure.

The ball drops are the recent Ninja Lion Fire Fortress and how the movie merchandise was handled. The lack of a transforming $50 movie megazord was appalling and the $100 oversized version lacked paint and barely holds together.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Considering megazord toys have sucked hard for the last decade or so, this couldn't make them any worse.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Uncle Yetibacca

Uncle Yetibacca Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for these details ^^. As I have said in my previous posts, as far as media goes, I'm more than positive that Hasbro will bring positive changes to Power Rangers... again, I hope for the first animated series (hopefully animated by Mir?). And whatever deal Hasbro comes up with Toei, perhaps it can even lead to a wholly original Power Rangers series not based on Super Sentai.

Now, I love BOOM! Studios as a whole and their MMPR series, IDW has had the Transformers license for over a decade now, that's something to be proud of, so I wouldn't blame Hasbro for ending their partnership with IDW - as I really, REALLY don't want to say goodbye to BOOM's Rangers -. Hey, just last year SEGA ended theirs with Archie comics (which I as a Sonic fan mourn, since I loved it's continuity and the Freedom Fighters) and now we have Sonic at IDW. Anyway, I will actually start a petition to Hasbro so they let BOOM keep the license. (I know petitions barely succed just let me be)

Personally I would like the cartoon version, but I hope they use bits of other versions as well as their own ideas.

Even so, it has been more than well received by critics and fans. And of course Star Wars outperformed it, family friendly and Star Wars always equals big bucks. But as far as quality goes, BOOM! would be a very good place for Transformers and the other Hasbro franchises.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    One of my main questions will be accessibility to BoA's tooling and molds. Chances are, all new tooling designed exclusively for BoA over the past 25 years is going to be off-limits and any shared tooling with BoJ will need to be licensed. If you were hoping for any kind of reissue, it's going to be loaded with red tape and seemingly unlikely to ever see the light of day outside of Japan. :( 

• Like Like x 1
  17. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

I, for one, am happy about this news. The last several seasons have been pretty lackluster (though I personally didn't think Samurai was complete garbage, and I've heard good things about Dino Charge), and a change in ownership may be just what this franchise needed. I'll be looking forward to seeing what they'll do with the series in the years to come. I am wondering though, how (if at all) will this effect the upcoming Beast Morphers season?

• Like Like x 1
  18. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    watch wild force, time force, in space and lost galaxy for me are the best seasons also spd , dino thunder is basically a reboot of mighty morphy

• Like Like x 1
  19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    So why Megazord vs Predaking?
    What about Predaking connects him to Power rangers?

20. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Strike Coaltion

Thank you for your stroll down license lane, @Kickback, and I look forward to your oral history of Saban’s micromanaging and other misfortunes in their properties!

I’ve been contemplating reading the MMPR comics since I’ve seen io9 lavishing them with praise in the last year or two. And, while I still largely enjoy the IDW Transformers comics, I loved reading BOOM! Studios’ Cthulhu Wars comics years ago, so I’d be fine with them having license since they still manage some hits, all these years later. Though, I don’t actually think anything will change with the licensing for either.

However, if I may fantasize for a moment, Enki Bilal and Jean “Moebius” Giraud’s Transformers at Les Humanoïdes Associés would be splendid, too
    :p 

As for figures, I probably should’ve gotten the Super Minipla of Daizyujin and Dragon Caesar, but I’ve just noticed—after taking a peak at TokuNation—that the Shogun Zords and White Falcon Zord are on the way!

I think I stopped watching MMPR when Jetix was airing episodes, but I did watch Samurai Sentai Shinkenger as it aired at the same time I was giving some of the Kamen Riders a shot, Kiva, Decade and W and a peak back for 555 and Kabuto.

Super Minipla of the Thunder Zords and the Tiger Zord might’ve also been nice, but through all of those series, nothing is as simply iconic to me as the shuffling temple of the Shogun Falcon Megazord.

Now, I don’t think I also need Titanus, but the Shogun Zords might even be big enough that I could set them up as a small village for my Iron Factory Transformers. Though, I might also need a small plastic sushi stall for Spin Vulture/ Vortex to ply his wares, along side some tiny, LED paper lanterns and some itty bitty Sake bottles :oops: 

And, I was mostly kidding around about the inevitable cross continuity convergence, @Takao, and that’s why I said I didn’t think there was much of a chance at Transformers, or Sentai for that matter, in Super Robot Wars. Also, I had seen that SD Gundam G Generation for Switch had an English SEA release, so I’m hoping the same happens for the next SRW and I’ll import that for Switch from AmiAmi.

But, really, if we’re going to bring Bandai Namco in for games, I think From Software would be even better than Banpresto, though Monolight Soft would also be an interesting choice, if they could get some good voice actors :D