Hasbro’s Leaked From Cybertron: Power Of The Primes Predaking

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Black Convoy, Jul 27, 2018.

1. opoptimus

opoptimus SUN WUKONG, not Son Goku.

News Credits:
    I've watched a lot of these "designer desk" type videos, and I'd like to be proven wrong, but it still looks to be what the Hasbro designers do is nothing more than“concept design”, or maybe "art direction". The concept design looks nothing like the final product because Hasbro had no clue how it'd all actually work. Same with the prototype, it was more for "concept proof" and more importantly costing purposes I guess. And I assume this is when the engineer comes in, not to actually do the design, but to work out plastic weight, parts count etc. to ensure profitability. Then based on all this Hasbro work out design guide lines and send to Takara where the actual magic takes place.

Oh btw I'm 99% sure those sketches are done by Shogo Hasui, not Hasblow. Shame he's not acknowledged at all.

John Warden actually does a good job acknowledging the TT designers, who imho are the real miracle workers, at conventions; anything too corporate, TT just fades into one of "our global partners".

• Like Like x 1
  2. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

That color prototype looks better than the finished one. 

• Like Like x 1
  3. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    New drinking game: everytime someone says 'hasblow' take a shot of heroin.

• Like Like x 8
  4. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    No, the concept design doesn't look like the final product because the concept design is just that: "Here's what a Predaking could look like." and then Hasbro and the rest of the team goes over it and points out issues (would assume the spikes being a potential hazard being one of those things.)

Why use drugs when the "Ignore" button is free and readily available?

• Like Like x 4
  5. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just like drugs. I'm not pretending to be good. Sad face.

• Like Like x 5
  6. opoptimus

News Credits:
    Look at Hasui's Predaking sketch, the spikes were still there, and at this point he'd already worked out the engineering and how everything works, just waiting to be all CADed up.

I'd assume you work out how the whole thing works before worrying about finer details like hand spikes.

7. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    You'd be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  8. opoptimus

News Credits:
    Obviously you don't care to elaborate but fine by me.

Back to my original point: I doubt Hasblow's design comes to even close to what the final thing looks like, or they'd put their sketches in the video.

9. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This is a lot of heroin to take in such a short period of time. Could we ease back on the h@$bl*w$?

• Like Like x 5
  10. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it’s the wrong size class. Not buying it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rated X

Rated X Banned

This thing was a total fail. Would have been so much better if it was released in normal CW scale and made Volcanicus the titan. I mean it would have been a sin to have large scale dinosaurs, right? 

• Like Like x 4
  12. misfire19d

misfire19d Not a writer. Not an illustrator. Just a fan.

Voyager sized Dinobots

WOULD.
    HAVE.
    BEEN.
    AWESOME!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They added another video.
    TRANSFORMERS

I get the feeling their Thursday "meetings" are about an hour of "PEW, PEW, PEW!"

• Like Like x 2
  14. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    There's nothing more to elaborate. Concept sketches frequently don't match the finished product because they're just that...concepts. It's in the goddamn name.

Why do you think the art for that Amazon Exclusive Blast-Off shows him with the wrong chest transformation? Or why the art for Inferno is based off the Onslaught version of the mold with a ladder drawn on? Or why the original Ultra Prime CW art includes a limb that is clearly an Aerialbot colored to look like Drag Strip to match the four Deluxes released with him in Wave 1?
    You should have your auto-correct looked at.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jacranky

jacranky Well-Known Member

The fact that  HasTak are even making these types of toys for 30+ year old characters, I\'m so happy and thankful. 

All you haters are gonna buy this anyway so stop complaining. Its also apples to oranges to compare what HasTak is doing vs. 3P as they need to reach a mass market (which 3P doesn\'t) and keep price points much lower than 3P. HasTak has shareholders they need to answer to and ensure their bottomline is growing or at least stable; 3P doesn\'t need to do that and if they shut down, no one will care. I think you will all care if HasTak shutdown because they\'re putting way too much money into making toys of these extremely old characters that kids today generally don\'t care about or even know, just so that this small band of message board posters are satisfied.

Anyone want to share any positive thoughts on this? I ordered it and can\'t wait for it. Sure, the concept designs are amazing but I think what we\'re getting is pretty damn great and I love that it scales with Devastator. I wish all of the combiners were this scale.

• Like Like x 4
  16. opoptimus

News Credits:
    All these examples you give are remolds which means the design had been finalized down to working CAD models. All Hasblow need was modify to generate concepts.

Again my original point was not that it wasn't a concept art, but the fact that Hasblow may have had very little consideration/input before handing all this to TT to do the actual design work. Otherwise surely they would've shown a concept art closer to what the final version than what looks like engineering based entirely on the G1 toy; hence back to my other point: Hasblow do the concept design, not the actual engineering.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  17. cynw32618

cynw32618 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah yes, 'hasblow'. For when someone chooses to have a mature, intelligent discussion and wants to be taken seriously.

18. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Could somebody, preferably UK based, call an ambulance? I’m fairly certain the next hit is going to be a bit rough.

• Like Like x 7
  19. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Are you five?

They're right up there on the maturity scale with the people who *still* write "Micro$oft."

Mine's sitting in my Stack on TFSource just waiting for me to either find Walgreens Wreck-Gar in the wild or for the TFS preorders to come in stock.

I'm very much looking forward to this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I’d say with a low production run like the titans have, hasbro needs to ensure that they are making the right decisions so that stores can sell them for a profit and not clearance them.they will want stores to buy the next Titan down the line. I didn’t buy devastator, so no I won’t be buying this anyway. Third parties already did this figure to death. But I probably would have bought it at chug scale. And it is a shame kids don’t know who these character are. It’s long past time to tell the g1 story again.

• Like Like x 1