Has the fan base been spoiled with the Masterpiece rage and unlicensed bots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jame5y, May 13, 2015.

1. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

I see day in day out on these boards people getting more and more opinionated about some of the toys TT and hasbro are bringing out and is asked this question on the ultra Magnus thread.

It seems that as a fandom, there is a real sense that we've been spoilt by the masterpiece range and 3p toys - it would be great to hear what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Are we now just feeling more entitled?

Or has the quality of official toys become just that bad?

2. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Without a doubt this Fanbase has been spoiled.

3. chaosanderson

chaosanderson Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel that Masterpiece has spoiled me yes, Without the masterpiece line I would probably be very very pleased with the Leader Megatron tank but as it is I just did not care for it. There have been a couple toys that I have liked the look of and honestly the Combiner wars series has been doing mostly great figures but... meh. I just am not as excited, to the point that I am not planning on picking up anything from Generations this year.

4. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

They created an adult collector targeted product line. This has in turn somewhat diminished adult collector interest in the child focused toy lines. This is nothing unusual and a number of toy makers experience the same thing.

5. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I think it has for real. Nit picking is at an all time high. The fact that the companies listen to the fans input just enables the entitled feeling the fans get. Not to mention the upgrade kits lol.

6. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    I think the increasing age of Transformers fans has, and toy collectors in general has demanded figures aimed more at this demographic. They are just doing they're best to give the fans what we want/will buy, just like they always have.

7. Brawl UK

Brawl UK Well-Known Member

As a child I didn't get some of the TFs I dearly wanted at the time.

As an adult, with the MP range predominantly dedicated to G1 fans who have grown up and can now afford such representations of bots once loved, I can relive my childhood all over again. Sure MPs are more expensive but then they're more articulated and representative of the G1 cartoon Universe.

I never really cared very much for the other lines to be honest (well perhaps Binaltech) but Combiner Wars does peak my interest - although I'm rather selective in what I purchase so as not to get carried away.

8. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Compared to GI Joe fans, we are extremely lucky. And while the quality of retail tf toys have declined over the years, just look at the other non-tf figures on the pegs that are right next to the tf ones... you'll see figures that cost even more, that are made up of less pieces and paint apps, and smaller sizes. The economy and other factors affect everyone.

The 3rd party world has grown significantly bigger each year. And fans are very adamant about the figures looking as screen accurate as possible to the source material. The more screen accurate they are, the more they are infringing on Hasbro's properties, a company that has been very lenient about these unofficial tf figures so far.

9. drgatz

drgatz Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Seems like both to me.

On the one hand, your standard retail generations/RID 2015 toys have some great ideas in them, solid (oftentimes very creative) engineering, and they're a lot of fun to mess with, but I can't help but notice a reduction in the paint apps and occasionally plastic quality if you compared it to say, unicron trilogy or RID era stuff. It isn't some giant spiral of doom as far as the quality, but it's occasionally noticeable. That being said, there's a segment of the fandom that have no idea how to adjust their expectations to the price point they're paying, and are thus regularly disappointed and jaded-- and then have to complain to the world about it. And then 3 posts later relay to us how their opinion matters, they're entitled to complain because they paid X dollars, everybody else is a white knight, etc etc etc.

In some ways this is worsened by the development of a relatively new tier of collector-oriented figure: MP, 3rd party emulation of MP, etc. Mass retail stuff pales in comparison to it-- for good reason since they're often 3-4x the price. And as I mentioned before, there's a vocal segment of folks who simply CANNOT adjust their expectations from one to another. In fact, many have created a sub-level of entitlement where even within this tier, it STILL doesn't meet their lofty expectations.

Figures will vacillate back and forth between home runs and minor whiffs, whatever tier of Transformer. But our perchance for hyperbole, superlatives, and progressively irrational levels of entitlement will always accentuate the best (and worst) that we see.

Anyway this post sounds like me griping too much about a likely SMALL segment of the fandom-- which often does admittedly irk the crap out of me. And I'm aware I really don't have to read those posts when I'm trying to find the more pertinent stuff (how do you fix this issue, what features to look out for, what's a good value, etc.) But you asked for an opinion, and now you got a long blithering one. I still dig this hobby regardless.

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We're not entitled or spoilt. We deserve Masterpiece level TF's at 2007 Classics prices available and in stock in every Walmart and Target, regardless of whether the figure came out last week or a decade ago. It's not like we're asking for them for free and hand delivered by Peter Cullen.

11. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I'm spoiled!

12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I don't see how Masterpiece would spoil anyone's opinion on any other figures. Masterpiece are larger, usually more expensive, high quality, collector oriented figures. If anyone is holding anything else up to those standards I'm sorry but they're idiots.

Most collectors know that the standards for toys need to be set by their own size class and price point not hold every single figure up to Masterpiece standards.

3rd party toys however I would agree with. Those are more to scale with normal figures but do tend to be higher quality. Of course those figures are also more expensive and I don't think they're mass produced quite as much as official releases. Meaning they're going for quality over quantity. Those can be compared to official toys but probably shouldn't be. I mean if Hasbro and Takara started making toys in that good of quality mass producing the figures like they do, official figures would suddenly be more expensive than the 3rd party toys and a lot of the toys wouldn't sell at all because most people can't afford 3rd party prices.

13. Skullhammer

Skullhammer Powermaster

When TF figures look better in both modes, sure people are spoiled. I would always prefer better G1 figures over new designed stuff...

14. RipTear

RipTear Banned

This is my first time collecting again since the original G1 line. I buy Generations. Figures come with less weapons, less accessories, and less extras. Not sure how that should spoil me.

Yeah, the figures themselves are mostly a ton better than the original stuff, but a lot of them feel naked in comparison. Where're the shoulder rockets for Mirage, Sideswipe, Red Alert, etc? Where was the weapons and accessories for Trailblazer and Hoist? I have to buy add-on kits to get those because Hasbro is cheap as fuck. Bombshell didn't even come with a gun - no weapon, no nothing.

And if you're that guy that read me calling Hasbro cheap as fuck and you feel that was somehow a personal attack against you, don't bother with your misguided, deranged response.

15. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    3rd party toys are tempting to adult collectors because they are more detailed to what we 'remember' them looking like. i say 'remember' because despite lack or articulation, our g1 toys were just awesome! so when we see them 'grown up' as the 3rd party companies present them its hard to pass.

but MP toys gives us the toy, but better engineered, so we get the look of our g1 toys but the character models of the g1 cartoon. so this too is tempting as a buy because its all about nostalgia.

as for being divided. no. were all buying transformers. just who makes them is where we differ.

16. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe? I only buy retail TFs so I wouldn't know of MP/3P's quality :lol 

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Personally I would rather them have less accessories then to have no place to put all those accessories. The reason they don't have as many weapons isn't because Hasbro is cheap. It's because they have to be able to store on the toy. G1 figures didn't really do this. Their extra parts were just thrown off to the side whenever you weren't using them... and then they'd get lost and you'd never see them again.

No Hasbro being cheap is when they include weapons that aren't actually integrated into the design of the figure. Meaning they're either just randomly stuck onto the vehicle mode where it makes no sense and looks ugly or tossed off the to the side whenever you're not using them never to be seen again.

If you want more accessories chances are, they're going to end up being randomly stuck onto the vehicle mode looking ugly as hell or tossed off to the side when you're not using them never to be seen again.

Is it weird that I'm ending every paragraph the same way?

18. RipTear

RipTear Banned

I own one 3rd party Transformer. Igear's Rager (Huffer). [​IMG]

Despite him falling an inch or so short of being a legends class figure, I still dig the shit out of him. Almost perfect.

19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Masterpiece ARE retail Transformers. They're actually produced by Hasbro and Takara. They're mass produced and sold in stores in the same section as all the other Transformers figures. The only real difference is that Masterpiece is a toy line that is specifically directed at Adult collectors... and a lot of the figures tend to be exclusive to Toys R Us... some times other stores get them as well but most of the time it's always Toys R Us. I only have two Masterpiece figures and well they both came from Wal Mart but they're the exceptions not the rule.

20. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Please refrain from bickering.
    There are always 2 sides to every coin...Agree to disagree and move on.

Please stay on topic, and treat each other respectfully.

Only gonna say it once.