Has the CGI quality gone down hill?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by electronic456, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

This
    The collors are weirder innaoe and tlk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, the CGI in TLK was on par with DOTM's.

3. MrRoy

MrRoy Well-Known Member

If you watch the first movie, the robots looked better, moved better, or at least how/what we expect them to. In the following movies, too much reflection and it is inconsistent with the surrounding environment.

There was a big jump from 1 to 2 and it continued in that direction ever since.

4. Toad84

Toad84 Well-Known Member

I have always wondered why they didnt do mocap suits.

I mean you could not do it for everything such as Optimus vs the Driller, but for like walking along side a person or one-on-one fights they definitely could have.

5. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

This is pretty much the case, more then the CG being bad in of itself. In fact this is kind of a problem with movies in general as kind of a weird backlash to the whole "Gritty" look that a lot of movie buffs seem to take issue with.

6. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

the transformations in 5 are laughable compared to the first 4 films in my opinion...4 had some meh ones but some of them were outstanding (lockdown's, grimlock for example)..not a single transformation stands out or lasts longer than 1, 1.5 seconds...also the last knight has the least amount of transformations by far

i wonder if the modern day cgi has anything to do with avatar & this whole 3d craze? avatar looked very cartoony & it seems like everything since then, for the most part, has followed suit

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah the CGI might look a bit worse but at the same time I think the "cartoony" look helps the CGI characters pop out better...I dunno it's weird lol

In TLK some of the bots' expressions were animated really damn well (Optimus comes to mind, as well as Crosshairs when Cogman breaks his finger)

8. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    I thought TLK CGI was better than AOE.

9. Toad84

Toad84 Well-Known Member

I dont know if it was CGI or not but Lockdowns grenade is still one of the coolest scenes in the entire series.

10. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Stills of TF1 look great, but the motion is dated and much of the action involving robots was heavily shadowed. The surface detail was way lower.

RotF has brilliant CG in the Forest battle and the opening chase scene, but the rest was very rough. Notable in particular is the last fight with Prime and the Fallen (after Prime is rebuilt, the battle before is mostly fine). It's very... off. But RotF was a troubled movie.

DoTM had all around excellent CG. Probably the best of the series.

AoE tried a whole new approach to robot design (more human proportions, less kibble, actual faces. Many scenes worked, but some scenes just didn't. The drone army was VERY rough at the end in particular. Part of Prime's final fight with Lockdown was rough. But the Galvatron vs Prime fight and the debut of the dinobots was simply awesome.

TLK had probably by far the most comprehensive use of artificial environments. The CG was nearly as good as DoTM... in some places radically better.

It's worth stating that ILM doesn't necessarily mean "ILM California". It can easily mean "CHinese content farm contracted by ILM">

11. pjeung

pjeung Active Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I thought cgi was top notch in tlk. Transformations may have lacked in detail, but we got a good amount of them.