Has hastak accidentally removed the need for mp?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The13Primes, Sep 4, 2020.

1. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    With the push for accuracy in the mainline for both g1 and BW had hasbro accidentally made ‘mini mp’ and ‘removed’ the need for an mp line?

as mp prices increase mainline accuracy to the source material also increases. At the rate it’s going the mp line might become more of an afterthought when you can get an accurate cast and pay less

• Like Like x 14
  2. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I would say yes.

• Like Like x 5
  3. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Not for me. I'm still an MP whore first and foremost :D 

• Like Like x 9
  4. chaosanderson

chaosanderson Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say accidentally.... I think they are just responding to what fans want.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I think as the MP's budget has expanded it's allowed them to push the envelope in engineering and articulation. CHUG is very much an MP-lite, reminiscent of MP-10 Optimus Prime and MP-12 Sideswipe, but you only need to get a modern MP in-hand to realise how much more expressive they are.

• Like Like x 12
  6. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The Masterpiece line has a different focus than the main retail line. The main line is limited by playability. Would someone who bought an MP-44 easily replace it with Earthrise Prime? People recently shelled out $600 for a Masterpiece-level Unicron when the Energon and its recolors are available for much less and are passable versions. Some people may leave the MP line due to its rising cost, but there’s still a market for it. MPs are bought as display pieces. You can’t get the same awe from the Siege/Earthrise equivalent... maybe the upcoming Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, there are tiers of collectors so there are tiers of collectibles. Masterpiece as it was in the beginning was more affordable but couldn't reach the extreme animation accuracy and posability that was desired. There was a small niche at the top of the market that wasn't being served. So Takara raised the complexity and the prices to reach that top level of consumers. At the same time, this created an opening in the lower tiers for a larger number of collectors who either didn't want, didn't care about or couldn't afford what the new Masterpieces now offered, but still wanted better than what the mainlines were offering. So Hasbro is now serving that market. It's the best of all worlds. Masterpiece won't be going away just because the mainlines have gotten better. It will continue to reach for new heights and serve as the top tier for Transformers collectibles.

• Like Like x 8
  8. ADavis

ADavis Well-Known Member

For me it has. Lately Siege and Earthrise have been producing figures I started calling “90 percents”. Almost as good as a masterpiece but at a significant amount less expensive. Examples of this are ER Prime siege Sideswipe and even ER Grapple. Not quite perfect, but worth the price.

Heck I would even argue that ER Arcee is a better version than the MP because of this. I can excuse the flaws of the $20 figure(backpack, feet, etc.) a lot easier than the flaws of a $120 one.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

Nah. Figma and figuarts exist along with the black series and marvel legends line.
    MP line will be fine.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

The biggest difference to me is the level of detail and engineering. The mainline is getting better and better, but there are still a lot more gaps and compromises. That being said, the MP I own are transformed once or twice a year and left on display. I transform the mainline ones quite a bit.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mardroid

Mardroid Well-Known Member

I used to stick mainly with MP, although I didn't buy all that many figures, partly due to expence and because I only had a few in mind anyway.

Also while I am largely happy with the figures I bought, I didn't really think they were worth the price in hand. I.e. for the price I'd really expect the figure to be near perfect, and while they largely are better than the figures of cheaper lines, they do still have their issues.

I did find some of the transformation overly complicated too, although I appreciate it may need to be for both modes to look really good.

Since the Earthrise line had arrived I've mainly focused on those, along with some Seige. They're far from perfect too but you expect that for the lower price, and they do largely look very good. (Ironically as they're lower priced, I probably bought more and may have ended up spending more than if I'd stuck with MP.)

I did plan on sticking with MP for the dinobots (albeit they'd largely be third party equivalents since only Grimlock is available from Hasbro and Takara) . I already have the Hasbro Grimlock and Gigapower Slag. But now I've seen posts stating there will be some G1in the studio line! If it's only Grimlock I will likely pass but if they produce the rest and they're at least Voyager sized (preferably leader) I will seriously consider them.

I do have the Power of the Primes dinobots and they're not bad but mainly deluxe sized and a bit weedy looking in robot mode, aside from the Voyager Grimlock. It's his dino mode that suffers.

I think MP still has it's place but I'll admit I likely wouldn't have bought MP10 Optimus if Earthrise Optimus had come out earlier. I'm glad I did though. He's really good, but Earthrise is good enough, although the base/trailer could have been better.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    No. MP has never been a priority for me, so the last two lines haven't really affected my MP collecting -it's always been the occasional favorite character.

And I'm actually glad that Hasbro hasn't taken CHUG "accuracy" to the extreme we see in MP - the "straight out of the cartoon" look of recent MP has basically killed the line for me. Meanwhile, Siege & ER are still going for a good mix - cartoon look mixed with toy detail - and it works.

And the flaws in CHUG are more forgivable at retail pricepoint. I got ER Prime for $50. Bought the Reprolabels, Nonnef trailer upgrade set, and a set of paint markers to paint the eyes yellow, and got a near-perfect Prime for far less than the starting price for the MP, which is hampered by bad knees, over-complicated transformation that scrapes its own paint, and an overall poor look due to the slavish adherence to the cartoon look. Sure, I could do the knee fix and paint the truck stripe and make the face the proper silver and all that, but why bother when I got a better Prime for about $120?

So really for me, it's that CHUG has remained a good value, while MP has gone down the drain in look, QC and overall bang for buck.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Siege & ER have increased the quality of figures so much from previous lines all the way back to Dark Of The Moon. I got rid of most of my MPs because they're not as fun to pick up and fiddle with as a mainline figure and they're so bloody expensive for what they are.

A few weeks ago I Looked at my Fans Toys Skyfire and decidd I wanted the $450 I could easily flip him for and buy the Hasbro Commander Class Jetfire for a quarter of the price which is almost the same size and doesn't make me worry that I could break something. MPs are pretty but they aren't very fun.

After recently acquiring an MP Road Rage in a trade, my first MP since Ultra Magnus, I was kinda shocked that it's basically no better than, say, your average Revenge Of The Fallen figure. Between parts count, materials, general design, MP cars are basically overpriced. And with the aggressively lavish adherence to a cartoon that was badly drawn and extremely simplified from the toys it was made to promote they end up far more complex than needed yet somehow look worse because of it. MP Megatron's weird seam-lines in his crotch. MP-44's panels and lines everywhere with it's huge backpack. MP-Bee 2.0 or Sunstreaker. Just somany folded up panels everywhere and fake parts galore.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Haslab Unicron isn't "Masterpiece-level", it's a chug figure and designed as such.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Not really? Starscream hasn’t seen any big improvements aside from a wing and ankle joint for 12 years, we still have pretty awful Fembots and to this day a Megatron that is extremely mediocre at best.

MP can still live.

16. xKAINxCAINx

xKAINxCAINx Goonies Never Die!

I would say they didn’t get rid of the need because it’s a different market for collectors. However for me the Earthrise/Siege has been so good that I sold 99% of my entire mp collection recently and starting collecting Earthrise/Siege. The quality Hasbro has put into them impressed me so much that I figured I could still enjoy collecting and for far cheaper. The figures that made me want to switch lines were Hoist and Cliffjumper :) 

• Like Like x 2
  17. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can buy most of the Kingdom Beasts for the price of MP Dinobot. There's just more bang for your buck.

• Like Like x 3
  18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    MP and retail are literally apples and oranges. In Japan, toylines generally have a pretty expensive, premium collectors line. Like Metal Build for Gundam, the Yamato Valks for Macross, Chogokin DX for super robo stuff, etc. Masterpiece is literally that for the Japanese audience.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Chareos

Chareos Needs New Omnibots

News Credits:
    It removed the need for me getting MPs certainly

• Like Like x 5
  20. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Limited by playability? I think that's backwards. MP is limited by its placement as "collectables". CHUG has far more value for the buck - solid altmodes, fun, intuitive transformations, and an overall higher quality look. And playability just adds to the value. I transform CHUG and even older MP all the time. My MP36+ has never seen gun mode, because I'm petrified of scratching the chrome.

So much wrong here. First, your assumption that "top tier" collectors by definition want "extreme animation accuracy". The discussions here should tell you that there are a lot of collectors who loved MP at the beginning, or in the early post MP10 period, who loved the greater detail of the earlier figures. I might have considered MP44, if it hadn't been for the grey face (that should have been silver), the lack of truck mode silver stripe, the low detail trailer stripe, the rather soft-looking face sculpt - in short, the dramatic decrease in the paint and sculpt detailing of the figure in service of "show accuracy".

And feeling that current MPs are not worth the money does not mean those collectors aren't "top tier." Simply that they don't feel Takara is producing product worth the asking price. While complexity may have gone up (which is not inherently a positive) and posability (I'll give you that), the quality has gone down while the prices have increased. Quality control is atrocious on current MP figures - Prime's knee issue is unacceptable on a $400+ figure, Hound disintegrating, often in the unopened package should not be happening. And with the increase in complexity, Takara couldn't come up with a better transformation for Bumblebee v2 than explosion backpack and those feet? Takara is charging more for lesser product.

I've sworn off official MP, because I expect better for the price Takara currently charges than they're willing to provide. If they're going to charge "top-tier" prices, I have a right to expect "top-tier" product. The recent crop of Masterpiece figures is anything but.

• Like Like x 6