Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by stevej, Nov 11, 2016.

?

Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

1. No, keep it coming! I want them to look like they stepped off the screen!

69 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No, but I prefered the earlier figures that featured additional detailing

60 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. I don't mind either way

44 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. Yes, but I'll still buy them over 3rd party items

28 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Yes and it's actually made me give up on the official line in favour of 3rd party

47 vote(s)
    18.1%
  6. None of the above (detail your thoughts in your response)

11 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Oh I remember this. Now its been bumped back up I've changed my vote from "Yes, but I still buy them over 3rd Party" to "Yes and it's actually made me give up on the official line in favour of 3rd party". Since I original voted both MP-44 and MP-45 have been announced along with a number of plus edition effectively retconning the line to this ultra cartoon accurate and aesthetic. In addition to that prices have rocketed. Now its not all bad, the improvements in articulation and engineering are welcome and TT's commitment to the Beast Wars MP and their incredible sculpts and paint jobs has kept me buying official but I now feel like I'm done with G1 MPs and have started picking up 3rd party figures instead.

Personally I think across the board (Including Beast Wars) it's TT's very literal and specific commitment to toon accuracy that is off-putting to me. I watched a fair bit of the cartoons as a kid and adult and read the comics but when I did I never felt that any of it represented the definitive vision of the characters. Even then I knew they were representations or artistic impressions of these characters and it was up to interpretation by the artist and the viewer. My mind always filled in the blanks and I feel that used to be the approach TT took and an approach some 3rd Parties still adopt.

Anyway its an old topic that maybe doesn't need to resurface. TT seem very much committed now and we must act accordingly and do what makes us happy. If it means buying less of their product then hopefully that sends a message...unlikely but worth a try ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's funny the changes in one's opinion a couple of years can bring. In November 2016 I was lamenting an apparent shift away from real-world details in the vehicle modes, the lack of taillights on the Fuso trucks and side mirrors on the Nissan vans. But then the next year we got Sunstreaker, with all the details intact (inaccurate paint on the windows, but Cordon got it right), and I guess I started to get on Takara's new wavelength and see what they were going for, and why. Now I've got the new Optimus and Bumblebee figures on preorder and can't wait to get them in hand, and I feel really positive about what Hound's vehicle mode is going to look like.

And again, what I imagined in my head turned out to not be what I wanted. 36+ came out, with his chrome and his toy-accurate detailing, and I passed on it, preferring the original deco. Somehow 36+ looked too busy to me. I guess I like living in the Bizarro world. :crazy: 

• Like Like x 2
  3. george tremarco

george tremarco Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's killed my interest in the line stone dead. I've never held the cartoon models up on any sort of pedestal. Even as a kid, in my imagination, I always knew these characters could look so much better. I always envisioned a blend of cartoon, G1 toys (with the 'fake' details their decal stickers crudely hinted at), all the strange and different interpretations we saw in the early Marvel comics - and how they might possibly look in a live action film one day. There was so much more to draw from than the cartoon show.

For a time, the MP line gave me exactly what I wanted: A blend of realism and detail which, simply put, made these things look cool as fuck on my shelves. Now? They're not for me. Shockwave was my last purchase and I have him positioned as far away from MP Soundwave as possible to not draw attention to how bland he looks.

Consistent cartoon accuracy isn't even possible anyway. Some characters are always going to unintentionally look far too detailed by virtue of panel lines and other transformation related parts, so I don't really see the point in pushing for it so hard.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    As a kid I wasn't thinking about meta questions like the definitive interpretation of a character in 3D, I just enjoyed the cartoon and the toys we had.
    But as an adult I think it sucks that we are getting a Blackarachnia MP and the spider mode looks like someone stepped on it.

5. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

Well, as an outsider to MP in general, I don’t see an issue, the more cartoon accurate figures do look wonderful in bot mode, and there are other options for those who don’t like the cartoon accuracy. If it sells well and people like it I don’t see an issue. But eh, I don’t collect mps so I probably have a weird point of view

• Like Like x 1
  6. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I went with “none of the above”. MP is a mixed bag. Toon accuracy works for some...but not for others. MP36 Megs is a miracle of design and nails his awesome toon bot mode while achieving a realistic alt mode. Inferno hits the same nails...unfortunately, they should have steered away from such a toon-accurate bloated bot mode (my opinion). I prefer the 3P Backdraft figure, in this case.

I have to ask myself, “What makes a figure a Masterpiece?”. The original goal of making the best representation of a character sounds like a good idea. The issue then becomes what aspects of the character (be they toy or media based) need to be present in order to make that happen...in addition to minimizing sacrifices to one mode in order to perfect another. Very subjective topic. No simple solutions. The debate will rage on.