Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by stevej, Nov 11, 2016.

?

Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

1. No, keep it coming! I want them to look like they stepped off the screen!

69 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No, but I prefered the earlier figures that featured additional detailing

60 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. I don't mind either way

44 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. Yes, but I'll still buy them over 3rd party items

28 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Yes and it's actually made me give up on the official line in favour of 3rd party

47 vote(s)
    18.1%
  6. None of the above (detail your thoughts in your response)

11 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

When I first got into Masterpiece Transformers I bought Prowl. Then Sideswipe, MP10 and so on. I decided to collect these because I believed they would all be based on the design cues used on them. They all just fit together beautifully.
    I feel like lately the designs have been stepping off the course I had obviously mistakenly assumed they would stay on. Also I feel like the quality is becoming comprimised both in build and design, which is why my last 3 purchases have been 3rd party.
    I picked up MMC Sphinx and it's exactly what I had envisioned he would be like when I first began wondering where the Masterpiece line would go, the day I first got Prowl.
    Since then I have bought Cloud 9 Quakeblast and it's absolutely gorgeous. And to top it off, it cost less than it seemed like it should have. This buy has really helped me appreciate the positives of going 3P.
    Lastly I recently got DX9 Mightron. While not perfect by any means, he was the most affordable and right out of the box the first thing I gleaned about was how well made it is. It's built like a brick shithouse.
    So yeah, I consider 3rd Party and even Knockoffs to be the best choices now for my collection to continue growing.
    For me to change my mind, Takara would need to charge less, produce more variety and go back to the style and build quality I believed they would carry through with from the start.

2. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Hasui designs are my favorite too.

3. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Inferno/Grapple aside, it isn't enough for me to stop buying them. I can put Shockwave next to Grimlock or Soundwave fine but the in hand pictures of Inferno next to Prime is terrible. The lower half especially is too clean. The rear being blank is terrible too, which I suppose ties into the cleanness of the legs. It's a shame as Inferno was one I was waiting for and the disappearing ladder amazed me. I certainly preferred the older ones though.

I already have been limiting myself to top wants but I might have to limit myself even more if Inferno is a sign of things to come.

4. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Hell no. Just like the MOTUC Filmation soft reboot this shit is awesome. Really hits the nostalgia feels that primarily drive my collection habits square in the balls.

Long may it continue.

• Like Like x 1
  5. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Yeah, but judging by your avatar, you are well aware that the MOTUC classics finished every single figure in the regular style before moving on to the Filmation style. Big difference.

• Like Like x 2
  6. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Screenshot_2016-11-11-21-25-45-1.png It's as if AC/DC started playing and suddenly quit halfway through and Justin Beiber finished the show

• Like Like x 2
  7. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Can't argue with that but seeing as I prefer the plainer look I ain't complaining :) 

I'm not sure many will display him like this tho, there's always one I guess!

8. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Agreed but looking at this makes me look up at my MP Prowl and think how much I like that he has tail lights on his feet and that his alt-mode look like a real car with all that entails. I'd imagine if he were made today he'd be more simplistic looking.

9. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    Extreme 'toon accuracy has actually driven me to 3P both inside the MP lineup and out of it. Before 3P was untapped territory for me. But after MP Shock/Lazerwave the MO line has become less like "a detailed update to an original character" and more like "'toon accurate to a crazy degree". I liked the look and feel of the pre-Shockwave MPs, which, while still accurate to the character, had loss of little detailing that made the alt-mode look like a scale-model of the actual vehicle. Look at MP-10, he has lots of rivets and panel lines like the actual truck has, and by contrast MP Ironhide is a sea of smooth red plates, with the occasional seam and fuel tank cap. I'm sure there are fans who want uber-toon accuracy, and that's fine, but I just would like a little more detail and greebling on the MPs. But that's just my :2c: .

Excessive 'toon/toy accuracy was also a big turn off for me with CW/UW Devastator, on top of the numerous corners cut in the design. I am looking to get 3P "Giant" or "Hercules" instead.

10. SMB73

SMB73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Agreed. I was on the fence about Inferno prior to seeing those in-hand images. There looks to be very little effort in detailing, and more focus on accessories and features. He's really bland looking.

11. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's not much better from the side. About the only angle the alt mode looks halfway decent is straight on front.

12. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Not to everyone according to the poll. The slavish look has a following.

The beautiful thing here is everyone should be catered to. Prefer plain, slavish cartoon? Takara have your back. Prefer a more detailed look? Multiple third party options have you covered. Everyone wins. Only Transformers fans could spin this negatively.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, but to the majority according to the poll. If you exclude the option of 'don't care either way' and just look at the options that express a preference, it comes out to 23.2% plain preference vs 48.6% detailed preference. Admittedly option 2 is a bit contradictory, but it still does explicitly express a preference for more detail.

As for the 3P options, they all have their good points and bad points. None of them are perfect and I'm not sure any of them are necessarily better than Takara's. There is, after all, a lot more to consider than just the level of detailing (scale, face sculpt, paint aps, price, build quality, etc.). The only one that I personally might choose over Takara is Dante, but it remains to be seen if he'll ever see the light of day after Takara's release and how much he'll cost. I know there are numerous prototype shots of him, but still no preorders, which is very unusual to say the least. If he does get released and sells poorly, they very well may not even bother with their Grapple. It isn't as black and white as you make it out to be.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  14. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Well I have always been the first to say if comprimise must be made, it should be made in alt mode. Haha. But the comment with that pic was more about how they changed the theme of design before finishing the collection.

15. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Maybe that's one of the misconception we are dealing with here, that they will "finish the collection", rather than continuing indefinitely with the focus changing and evolving over time and characters receive a new versions as and when it feels appropriate.

16. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

That most certainly was my misconception. I really believed that they would stick to the same look up to about when Tracks came out. That was when it started to click- ok.. things are changing. But that wasn't so much with style, that was with poor build and technical design. I knew right then Masterpiece was shitting the bed. I do love my Tracks though, but it certainly is not worth even half of what I paid for it. It was my first case of buyers remorse

17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    After actually watching a review of the toy as opposed to pictures: MP Tracks is a disgrace.

18. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

It looks good from certain angles, but it's a terrible design. It's less of a figure than say the stuff you get at Walmart for 25 bucks. I would be happy if it was 25 bucks but it was 4x that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2 is a little contradictory which I realised after posting the poll (impossible to edit once created). If nothing else "don't care either way" should have come second before the one about preferring more detail. I tried to add some nuance to the answers but came up short.

I take away from this the same stats. 23% love the cartoon direction, which is great, but what's striking is that there appears to be 17% of fans who have ditched or are in the process of ditching the line altogether precisely because of this direction. Obviously this is only a very small sample size but even if the actual number customer-wide is half that then that should be of concern to any company.

I literally have no idea whether or not Takara have gauged this new direction with any kind of focus group, whether they're following trends, whether its the lead designer leading the aesthetic or whether they're winging it on a character by character basis but damnit, I'd love to hear their thought process. Shouldn't we be due another designer interview about now?

BTW - thanks to everyone who has voted. Hopefully this thread proves of some value when the next person comes along to suggest that ALL fans want the same thing as far as this line goes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Unfortunately what your survey does not take into consideration is how many fans have come to the line since or because of it's change in focus. Production and release of MP's has ramped up in recent times, they must be making their money, the line appears to be healthier than ever. So long as sales are good they wont worry over a few fans bemoaning the change of direction.