Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by stevej, Nov 11, 2016.

?

Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

1. No, keep it coming! I want them to look like they stepped off the screen!

69 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No, but I prefered the earlier figures that featured additional detailing

60 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. I don't mind either way

44 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. Yes, but I'll still buy them over 3rd party items

28 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Yes and it's actually made me give up on the official line in favour of 3rd party

47 vote(s)
    18.1%
  6. None of the above (detail your thoughts in your response)

11 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    I voted "None of the above", because yet again we have a poll that gives choices worded in a way that leaves out some viewpoints.

My response to the question of whether the toon accuracy has gone too far is "no". My opinion is that Takara Tomy is doing a great job of maintaining a balance between cartoon, toy, and real-world accuracy. The fact that they are including options for cartoon accuracy and real-world accuracy shows that they haven't completely abandoned real-world accuracy for a "full toon" approach.

Have there been changes in the amount of extra detailing? Yes, though I see that as being largely due to character-specific design issues, such as alt mode, original toy detailing, and animation character model. Each character is going to have its own balance between the three sources simply because each character is unique. There is, of course, a designer-specific interpretation of those individual characters and the line as a whole that factors into this though I don't see that as the dominant reason some figures seem less detailed than others.

If this poll had an option reading "No, Takara Tomy is maintaining a good balance of toon/toy/real-world elements and detail given the unique design challenges of each individual character, while giving options to collectors who want a more cartoon-oriented appearance" that's what I would have selected.

Polls like this and others that feature elaborate options would allow more accurate data collection by separating their parts into multiple questions.

• Like Like x 3
  2. BlueSilver

BlueSilver Well-Known Member

I'm honestly really torn. I still love TT MPs, but I really miss the earlier detailing. They still typically overshadow the 3P counterparts for me, such as with inferno and ironhide (though I'm still a bit up in the air on Megatron), but I don't know how long that'll last with 3P companies improving at the rate that they are. For me, MP figures were a way to give us what the orginal cartoon meant to look like, such as with that off white translating to silver and gray translating to chrome. It's like the cartoon was a way to view this universe with a limited scope and limited resources, and now they have the tools to go back and give us their best representations without the limitations of budget 80's animation technology. I think often times I looked at these characters in the cartoon and sort of "filled in the gaps" in my head for the missing detailing, and then that detailing was finally able to show up in the earlier MPs. I'm sitting here looking at FT soar, with all of the wing detailing and design nuances, and I just can't imagine how bland he would look if all of that was stripped away to a gray, orangy-yellow, and blue block of bot. I like TT designs in general, and they still carry that sense of g1 accuracy that many 3P companies miss for me (such as face sculpt or proportions), but I don't like that they are narrowing the universe back to just what the cartoon gave us, rather that what it meant to give us.

• Like Like x 5
  3. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tried to cover as much ground as possible while not wanting 30 different responses with 1 vote each. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  4. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Don't really have a detailed reason either way. Personally, as long as TT continues to make great MP figures that are of good quality, great articulation, pretty fun, and whether it's overly detailed or more of a simple animation look, I think I'd be fine regardless as long as it stays in the spirit of the original G1 design.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

I voted the second option but really it's a very minor issue. I would have liked a little bit more detailing on both the van bros and inferno legs but its a minor concern in the scheme of things. I do really dislike the toon options on inferno but it doesn't bother me as he has the detailed front and head option.

I don't get the + version of Red Alert, does nothing for me but I do wonder if its not a test of the market. I have nearly every MP car I want and am very happy with them but if Jazz or Hound is made and follows the + route only I would be most disappointed. Tracks didn't so there is hope there.

Megatron on the other hand looks great to me, like the Van Bros he is a figure I did not want to follow the toy so I'm happy with him. He looks great next to MP10 to me. I skipped Shockwave due mainly to the colour but I don't think his design is too toon so I'm cool with him as well. Jetfire is another that if they should make him I would expect him to be toon rather than toy and I am ok with that. I would be more blown away that they made him!

So overall I am still very happy with the line.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Whether you like it or not, this is a proper way by TakaraTomy to feature a clear style direction and to distinguish itself from 3P.

7. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True to some extent, but oftentimes 3Ps will just go wherever Takara leads. Fans Toys for example has been very good about adding in non-toon detail to their figures until recently. Their Skyfire and Omega Supreme are very toon-focused in contrast to their prior figures.

8. robb0429

robb0429 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    What bothers me is that the aesthetic has VERY visibly changed when comparing recent figures to older ones, like MP10 for example. If you take MP10 and compare him to, say, Inferno, the difference is clearly there. People that say "that's what the MP line is all about", I'm sorry but that single argument is kinda flawed. Because "what the MP line is all about" has definitely changed throughout the years, and thats undeniable. It's clearly visible. And THAT'S what I'm only kinda iffy about. Do I hate the new aesthetic? No, a part of me really enjoys it. But I don't prefer it over what once was.

I think the MP cars had it down perfect: great balance of realism and cartoon accuracy. But when I get Megatron eventually, he is NOT going to look right next to MP Soundwave. Soundwave has silver paint and panel lining and detail to him; the likes of Ironhide, Inferno, and Megatron have bland and detail-absent legs and parts with flat paint jobs. I definitely prefer that balance that once was with the likes of Soundwave, Optimus, and the cars. I get why the aesthetic is the way it is now, I really do. But there's a certain feeling of "high-end figure" that just feels gone when I tinker with Shockwave or Ironhide, BOTH figures I love, but a part of both of them just feels off to me. Ideally, a balance of G1 animation and realism is for me, personally. But I know some people strongly prefer the aesthetic as of late, that being slavish to the cartoon, and I get that. I love how Megatron looks, and I can't wait to have him. I'm not on the train that thinks he should have been silver, I think the animation grey looks fine, great even. Would I like to see a silver version? Absofreakinglutely.

That all being said, even though I'm a Takara only MP collector, save for the FT Dinos, I will say that people have their alternatives. If people want a more detailed version of a cartoon character, ALL the 3rd party Infernos looks amazing to me. And so on with other characters. If the eventual Takara Hound is too bland for some, there are alternatives. There are so many 3rd party MP style figures that I want, but I know Takara will eventually get there, so I wait. I know that's not the attitude that all collectors have.

9. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    True, but as a whole, 3P has been and will always be a non-uniform multitude of styles, simply because they are multiple companies.

TakaraTomy is a single company, and although we have seen this style shift, it is consistent as a whole, evenmoreso now with the pronounced toon style. It's like a message to the consumer audience "We are unmistakably TakaraTomy MP, not 3P." Somewhat similar to the way the Titans Return line is marketed, featuring a very uniform, unmistakable and consistent factor about the product.

• Like Like x 2
  10. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

My vote is yes, it's gone too far, but none of the added detail fits me. My biggest problem is the figures aren't a great aesthetic match any more. I could be talked into either direction and embrace it...I just don't like that they switched direction midstream. And all of a sudden official isn't automatically the best looking AND cheapest option any more. And they get the bot mode scale or colors wrong from time to time, too. I've gotten to the point where I won't automatically choose official, but nor will I go 3P exclusively. Going forward it'll probably be like Classics was and just depend on the figure. And I probably won't wait for official any more because it might not be better or cheaper, and I may just skip the official altogether if I already have the character and I'm happy with it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I'm open to all the offerings that the MP line had. I only had MP-1 and Starscream v1 while they looked great, they were a pain to transform. And that's what I do with my toys. I transform them. I got back into the MP line with Prowl because I saw his price being almost what I pay to import Takara version of CHUG characters. And he was my favorite of the car robots from the 84 line and his MP is great. Easy to transform, not fragile, and playability. I've been grabbing them ever since. I grew up on the cartoon and the cartoon is my main continuity with some sprinkles of the comics mixed in. I like the mix of cartoon and toy aspects but I mostly love how it looks like they jumped off the screen and into my hands.

Megatron invokes that. The first Megs was toy centric but a fragile rusting mess. Takara I feel had to use the cartoon as the main focus or else I don't think folks would be interested in another fragile toy centric Megatron. Plus with the advancements in technology, I believe they did an incredible job. Time will tell once this is in my hands how his handles

12. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

There's a distinct blend here. MP is about accuracy, but there are two kinds of that: Cartoon and Toy. Look at figures like Soundwave. There are some tech-y details molded in to build off of what the G1 figure had. The toon was just a series of smooth colored boxes in the shape of a person.

Some of the older MPs tried to be a mix of toy and toon. Now it's mostly toon. There's no right or wrong to it - but there is a shift you can see.

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ooof. Yeah, that's bad. You know what that's like? That's like a movie set where the building looks great from the front, but when you walk around to the back you can see it's just plywood. It's like they only finished the part you're going to be looking at. Megatron, sadly, is the same way (but for him I will make an exception). For a third-tier guy like Inferno? Nope. He's got to look like a fire engine from all angles, like a robot in disguise. That, to me, is the point of the Masterpiece line.

• Like Like x 2
  14. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Waiting for bite in sales thread.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Had to vote "None of the above", but yes, I feel toon accuracy has gone too far. I like Optimus and Soundwave because they don't look identical to their animation models.

15. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Yup, i think the overly cartoonyness (especially when it comes to simplified detailing in robot modes) is a TOTAL turn off, and actually moves them away from being "Masterpieces" which, to my mind should be the "Ultimate" version of the character, encompassing the various source material. (which is how i saw the earlier iterations.

16. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    I can understand that. It's tricky to come up with the right combination of options in something like this. I'm glad you included the "none of the above" option. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    I'll wait to have Inferno in hand. I still have the memory of the Ironhide plot-twist, so i'm confident.
    + The fact that I'm quite happy in a way to have 2 distinct feelings when I receive a TT MP and a 3P MP. Hard to explain.

An yes anime is cartoon. Like a manga is a comic book.

18. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I think so. I enjoy the cartoon a lot but even I know that it was poorly animated most of the time. I'm skipping Inferno, Grapple and Megatron. Didn't even pick up the + Red Alert figure, I stuck with the older release. I don't want my Masterpieces to look like Heroes of Cybertron figures. I want them to be mostly toon, but with some extra detail from the toy and other influences. And now they're including useless things like stickers that match animation errors.

I miss the older style, but what can you do? My money will go towards 3P alternatives instead.

19. Driskull98

Driskull98 Have you seen the writing on the wall?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    MPs in general are a waning interest for me now. It has nothing to do with the slavish cartoon-accurate sculpts and more to do with character choices and price tags.

I really don't care enough about Grapple, Tracks, the Coneheads, etc. to spend $80+ on them. It's much cheaper to just get Classics representations of these characters. Megatron V2 might be the last mainline I buy, just to complete the set with Optimus.

20. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. I didn't intentionally give up on Takara MP, and I certainly haven't signed off on getting any more. But did recently realize i've only purchsed 2 of the last 8-10 new molds (including upcoming ones I don't expect to buy) and I was very unhappy with one (Roadrage) and mildly frustrated with Hot Rod even though I love him- what can i say, he's always been a favorite must buy character.

In the meantime my 3P buying has coninued and I even selected a 3P Shockwave over the official. That was a real wake up call.

• Like Like x 1