Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by stevej, Nov 11, 2016.

?

Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

1. No, keep it coming! I want them to look like they stepped off the screen!

69 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No, but I prefered the earlier figures that featured additional detailing

60 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. I don't mind either way

44 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. Yes, but I'll still buy them over 3rd party items

28 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Yes and it's actually made me give up on the official line in favour of 3rd party

47 vote(s)
    18.1%
  6. None of the above (detail your thoughts in your response)

11 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I think they look amazing! I gave no problem with and I enjoy drooling over others figures.

2. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with all this. A silver Megatron would work much better. In the case of Megs and Shockwave the colour choice is what I'm less keen on, the mould is fine. With Inferno I appreciate them trying to cover both options for the front of the vehicle (though I think Inferno with the cartoon grill will look incredibly out of place next to MP-10 at present and the lower half of the robot mode/back of the vehicle mode looks cheap) but I'm worried about what happens with the next vehicle if they can't cover both options. Will, say, a Hound just come with a flat plastic grill at the front and cartoon logos? Are all future Decepticons going to come with the light purple cartoon style logos we see on Megs (contrast with the rich purple and the less squashed appearance on Soundwave's logo)?

I'll be honest, it was this photo that really prompted this thread. This is not what I would consider sufficient as far as the rear of any vehicle goes, clean "toes" be damned.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

this is the dame view as me too, I was first drawn in by the sort of 'best of' version, drawing cues from all the various sources out there.
    I've also always liked to have as real world accurate an alt mode as possible, and like seeing how this impacts on the overall design of the bot mode and how it influences descisions and methods in the transformation from one mode to the other.
    The animation models are ok, but for the most part they were a bit naff and i honestly dont think the line should strive to get as close to them as possible, but remain a mash up of the best from all areas.
    for example - im loving the new megatron design, but the paint apllication.. id prefer it if it was closer to MP5, silvery rather than grey.

just seen the above post Stevej... that is the rear of inferno? seriously? it looks lesss realistic than my 18month olds vtech fire engine... that sings songs

• Like Like x 2
  4. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    Maybe back THEN, but I think the word has evolved to a point where it's considered it's own separate thing.

And I think it's fine the way the MP line is going. Heck, if anything, this is what it should have started as, personally. And they still incorporate things from the toy as well as RL alt-modes.

Megatron is ridiculously cartoon-accurate, but also has things from the toy like that weird cannon-head mode, or the giant super cannon when you combine his fusion cannon with parts of the stock.

Same w/ Ironhide and Ratchet. They're both licensed vehicles, are incredibly faithful to the cartoon, and incorporates what it can from their original toys. I say "what it can" because, well, we've all seen their G1 toys before. I don't think toy features should be crammed into an MP just because, because sometimes, the toy might not have had anything THAT memorable, or it can compromise the figure. I'm sure there are those who wanted MP Primal to have his mutant head but that may have been too much.

5. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    Yes.

But just because I'm bailing on the current iterations doesn't mean I may not still find one that I'll cherry pick if they finally get to them........like Jazz.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I answered 'yes and I'm giving up in favor of 3P', but I'm not 100% there yet. In fact, I'm struggling with that very decision right now with Inferno. I never really cared for him, but he is official and I thought maybe he might work out ok, so I placed an Amazon Japan preorder on a whim thinking I can always cancel it if I change my mind. Well, after seeing yesterday's pictures....my mind is changing. From day 1 I thought the alt mode was a joke, but I thought maybe the bot mode could look cool. Now, I'm not even sure of that. The sad thing is, I'm not that enamored with any of the 3P options either. X-Transbots Dante looks amazing to me, but his giant feet and giant dangling ladder are major turn offs. Still, I think after yesterday, those two flaws are the lesser of the aesthetic evils.

Since the cartoon was based on the toys, a more apt comparison would be if a hypothetically popular Star Wars cartoon had a Luke Skywalker based on Mark Hamil, and a Masterpiece Luke Skywalker was slavishly made to look like that cartoon character... My guess is most Star Wars fans would not like that as their 'ideal' representation...

I don't want 100% toy any more than I want 100% toon. I want a mix PLUS real-world to make a perfect representation of the character, just like the line used to be. Simple enough.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

Totally agree. The old MP still would error on the side of the toon aesthetic, but was always an amalgamation from several different source materials. It was a bit toon, toy, comic, toy box, and artistic interpretation mixed together and Hasui nailed that formula. It also made them feel a bit more like high end collectables (that are toys - don't freak out) and made their price a little more justified. The new approach of doing just toon and discarding everything else is lazy and actually makes them seem more like actual kids toys, as ironic as that may be, than some stylized upgraded version of a kids toy. I would expect these new MPs to be hanging off a shelf in tru before seeing them in a hobby shop for figurine collectors. At least FT is staying true to the old approach and has really up'ed their game in the past year. I'm literally blown away by how amazing the FT stuff looks right now and am reminded of the early days of the Hasui MPs when I look at it. If it wasn't for their amazing releases, I probably would have given up this hobby by now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Wow. And I was upset about the "F U S O" and mirrors missing from the front.

9. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

The newer direction has put me off the official MPs lately with the exception of the Beast Wars bots. I absolutely hate how Megatron V2 looks and it has no place in my collection (nevermind the bonkers MP pricing lately). I likely won't be getting Inferno either with its lack of detail. This has actually soured me on the MP line in general to be honest and has made me re-evaluate my collecting focus going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Iv been a fan of the MP line since the very beginning. Iv seen this line go through a lot of changes . It's definitely got its fair share twist and turns through the years . Is it evolution though ? Or is it Takara listening to fans demands ? More cartoon accuracy , and less of a real world feel . Maybe Hasui did it to good . One one things for sure , this is just another turn in the line . For those of us that's been around since the early days , this isn't new to us. Rest assured , this isn't the last turn this line will make . I'm along for the ride . It's fun , and very surprising. To those that are jumping off because of the different direction , I say have fun , and collect what you feel fits you best . I'll be here till the end .

• Like Like x 1
  11. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been here since MP-01 was released and he headed up the then brand-new and amazing Binal-tech display I assembled. I was gutted when the tiny MP-03 came out and didn't feel the line worked at all as a unit until MP-10 despite getting every mould. They were just individual display pieces back then. Now they're a full display that looks fantastic. I just want to continue that trend. :) 

12. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Megatron looks great but Inferno, man... I just can't. So yeah, it's a bit of a mixed bag for me lately. I like my bot modes to look like the toon but when that causes the altmode detail to be substantially sacrificed then it's a no-go for me.

13. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the cartoon look and that's one of the main things I go for. I don't mind homages to the toy, like the exclusive Bumblebee toy mask, but cartoon first since that's what I grew up with mainly.

BUT, and a big but, my enjoyment other than being a collector, is diminished greatly with complicated/pain-in-the-ass/delicate transformations like MP-05 and MP-09 just so it has to look like the cartoon.

The MP-10 to 30 (don't have Primal yet) are great and MP-05 and 09 are the biggest offenders. Looking at the MP-36 top view, I can't see myself enjoying Megs too much, other than having a great cartoon version of him.

14. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    One of the designers begs to differ.
    "– How do you feel about MPs now?
    H: I created them in the hope that they would supplement the memories. The toys in the 80s are not even close to the modern toys in terms of refinement, but I think the fans who followed Transformers back then used information obtained through various media such as magazines or the cartoon to supplement the image in their mind.
    I believe MPs are meant to be the embodiment of that image. Neither making the cartoon version into a three dimensional form nor making it as realistic as possible is a good idea. The important thing for me has been to create a MP product through which you can meet yourself from the past, in which you can find a toy you have been dreaming of. It was certainly a difficult and harsh challenge."

And that's why I'm starting to cool on the MP line. Shockwave, Hot Rod, Inferno, and Megatron have all been passes for me.

• Like Like x 5
  15. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

This. I don't understand how "cartoon accuracy has gone too far!" is even a thing. SMH.

• Like Like x 1
  16. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Likes the G2 neon lights

I like the style they're going with, but I miss the extra details earlier figures had. This picture in particular jumped out at me recently. I'm looking forward to getting Inferno, he was one of my favorites when I was little, but that shot looks incomplete. There's just a lot of flat red in the figure with little detail to break up the lines. I'm hoping it will be one of those things where it doesn't look so "flat" in person, but MP Grapple pictures look much nicer with the use of black on the thighs (and also appear to have additional detail, with panels and such on the legs), so it might just be something to "accept" with MP-33.

I had a similar problem with the color scheme they used on Victorion, too much of one shade of red actually made the figure seem washed out and lacking in detail. Having it in hand I still feel that way, but looking closely at it I think the look could have been improved dramatically by throwing some grey/silver/white on the team to highlight details in the molds and break up the overuse of one color. MP-33, from the pictures shared, looks like he doesn't even have details to be highlighted.

17. jediprime

jediprime Member

Hey Guys I'm new to the forums. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this topic.

I started my MP collection about 2 months ago. Decided to start with a few MPs and then slowly add to my collection. The MPs that wowed me the most were Sideswipe, Streak, Wheeljack and MP-10 Prime. I don't know what it was but those figures stood out the most for me. I ended up buying those 4 figures and I'm glad I did because look absolutely amazing in person. My next purchases are going to be Prowl, Soundwave and Bumblebee.

Now regarding the recent MPs like Megatron, Ironhide, Ratchet, Inferno and Grapple. For some reason they just don't stand out to me like the ones I purchased do. Now don't get me wrong. They look great and Takara has done a wonderful job making the the figures look identical to the cartoon. But for me newer figures are missing that wow factor. I don't know if it has anything to do with the paint job or details. I do agree with a few posters above who mentioned that Hasui's style had a nice mix of the G1 Toy/Cartoon/Modern Update.

What's surprising is that my favourite Transformer is Ironhide and sadly I don't feel like buying MP Ironhide. Not saying that the figure is bad. And I don't have those complaints that other people had regarding his shoulders, hip skirts, diaper etc. Personally I never cared about that stuff. Its just that the figure overall (as well as the other recent MPs) doesn't have that wow factor that a MP-10 Prime or Sideswipe had for me. Sometimes how wonder how Hasui's Ironhide would have looked like.

Anyway just thought I'd share my opinion. Happy collecting guys :) 

18. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't include Ironhide in the original list as I actually really like him. From a realism perspective he could do with side-mirrors but that didn't irk me quite as much as the blue tinted windows (more noticeable on Ratchet) or, for example, Wheeljack's lack of paint. For the most part the vehicle looked the part from all angles. I just don't see that looking at the back of Inferno.

For the record I'm still buying the newer MPs... I'm just also finding that I spend more time on the 3rd party forums than usual with FansToys especially scratching that itch that the official MPs historically always scratched more.

19. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good chat anyway, and nice to see everyone respecting each others opinions. :) 

20. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Yes, Ironhide is departure from the Hasui stuff but I'd still highly recommend him. He has a genius transformation sequence that is a lot of fun, and he looks great in both molds. And to me he fits in pretty seamlessly with the other carbots in both modes.

• Like Like x 1