Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by stevej, Nov 11, 2016.

?

Has cartoon accuracy in the Masterpiece line gone too far?

1. No, keep it coming! I want them to look like they stepped off the screen!

99 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No, but I prefered the earlier figures that featured additional detailing

66 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I don't mind either way

50 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Yes, but I'll still buy them over 3rd party items

31 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Yes and it's actually made me give up on the official line in favour of 3rd party

71 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. None of the above (detail your thoughts in your response)

13 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Results so far highlighting what was painfully obvious for anyone reading the Inferno and Megatron threads - we're actually pretty split as a fandom but in general folks would prefer even a small amount of additional detailing on the toys or at least wouldn't be put off by it. For everyone who voted that they love the cartoon asthetics there seems to be someone who preferred the older style or who has even gone so far as giving up on some figures in favour of 3rd party figures.

Do we think this will be the ongoing trend now or is the line just as likely to revert back for any reason based on the character?

2. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    Count me in as part of the 'don't mind either way' camp. Oddly, the way the toy is styled is probably the least important aspect of a figure for me. Playability, transformation scheme, ingenuity/cleverness of design and all-round quality are far more important to me. True, the likes of Ironhide and Shockwave may look a little bland and undetailed, but as figures I wouldn't want to part with them - I can hardly put them down!

Whilst I'm here, another point I'd like to make is that people shouldn't confuse blandness, strict cartoon accuracy or lack of detail for 'laziness'.

Paradoxically, it probably takes far more effort to make a detailed gun or a Fuso fire truck or even a Nissan Cherry into a smooth, flat robot. It would be so easy to have a highly-detailed vehicle mode turn into a 'busier' robot mode. The fact that - in the act of transformation - all the lines, curves, contours and details vanish away when in robot mode... well, to me, that's more impressive than have the details carry over between modes.

Ironhide, Ultra Magnus (and it seems, Inferno and Megatron) are mind-blowing feats of plastic origami. As long as the transformations are this good, and playability so impressive, the figures so expressive, I can easily forgive the lack of a few moulded rivets or greeblies.

That said, I do feel bad for those MP fans who are being driven away from the line because of this new direction. I'm sure we all know how you feel. There have been many music artists, TV shows and comic books I've had to give up on, simply because they changed too much from what got me into them in the first place.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Keep it coming, I don't mind.... Only reason Meg's looks out of place is because mp-10's proportions are so off.

I bet he will look awesome next to Soundwave, Shockwave and Starscream.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's a thought - some folks have been put off by the new direction BUT... Is there anyone who has ONLY started liking the MP line BECAUSE of the new direction, whereas previously the line had left you cold?

• Like Like x 1
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I can't believe we are now at the point people are saying that. I can remember a time when someone would get dogpiled on unmercifully for saying any little thing the slightest bit negative about MP-10.

Sure, chronologically, but not for everyone. For some people, the comic came first, and for a lot of people, the cartoon came first. Back in 1984 way before the internet, kids weren't omnipotent and only knew about stuff that was right in front of them.

And honestly, I have never really understood the toy argument. We already have toys that are 100% accurate to the G1 toys: the G1 toys. What we haven't had, those of us who grew up with the G1 toys and the G1 cartoon, are toys that actually looked like the cartoon characters, which is what any kid I knew back in 1984 complained about. No one I knew wanted another Ironhide toy that looked like the Ironhide toy; we all wanted a first Ironhide toy that actually looked like the character on tv.

And I'm not saying everyone has to want that. But it shouldn't be a mystery why many would, and why Takara sees money in making that for their fans.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  6. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I don't see the trend ever shifting back to the Hasui style. Even compare Ironhhide to Grapple. It's evolving at a much faster rate. And I think Megatron will have the cartoon style symbol tampoed right on...not even a choice like with Shockwave.

(It's certainly gonna be tampoed on the battle-damaged chest...there's no way for a sticker to look good there. But maybe it'll be a sticker for the regular chest? But I doubt it.)

7. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the new stuff... and I like the old...

Because we have so few Decepticons, Megatron and Shockwave blend in well with the MP 11 mold and Soundwave/cassettes. (IMO)

Seeing Megatron next to MP10, I see a huge difference... but nothing that bothers me..

Seeing Infernal next to MP10, I see a huge difference... but nothing that bothers me.

I think the different styles complement each other.

• Like Like x 2
  8. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    It's MP Megatron. That figure has made anything and everything look dated. I feel like they should update Soundwave as well now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, it seems crazy, because Soundwave has been considered one of the best MPs... but I can almost see that. Soundwave does look a little off now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I'm not arguing that one style is RIGHT and one style is WRONG. But we obviously have our preferences.

A new style Soundwave would look like this:

[​IMG]

For me personally, that can't even compare to MP 13. It's a nice little figure and a cool representation of the cartoon model. But I don't need my nearly 12 inch scale, fully transforming toy to be so devoid of sculpted surface details and paint apps. It's just too bland.

I get it though. I can see the appeal of fully-transformable toys that look like perfect 3-D representations of the Sunbow models. Which is actually more impressive on a technical and engineering level for some of the characters.

My I am a fan that think Hasui nailed it right on the head with his formula.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    That's exactly where I am, I totally understand the appeal of beautifully engineered transforming versions of the show models but for someone like myself who's mental image of the character is a mish-mash of toy, cartoon and comic I find the ultra show accurate take lacking in detail and looking a bit too...childish? It's great for those that want it but I preferred where we were before show accuracy became king.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    The way i see it as someone who mainly collects chug but has started to buy an MP or two exactly because of their adherence to the cartoon but in some cases also to the G1 toy:
    I like the way most MP's look, but there are a few ugly dudes in that scene: Wheeljack, the seekers and Megatron do not please me aesthetically the way the others do and it has nothing to do with aiming for cartoon, toy or realistic look as far as i know.
    The same is true of many 3P MP's: i often think they are almost there but somehow there is still something that just doesnt look right.
    I think its just very difficult to get the toy OR the cartoon robot to transform in a pleasing way into a realistic, toy or cartoon version of the altmode on a budget.
    So far (i have no loyalties to any company) to my liking while there have been 3P toys who have been very much to my liking overall Takara is still
    better at acomplishing this overall looking at the MP line from beginning to this day. But offcourse since this is about aesthetics there is all very personal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Hah Hah! Now I want a Masterpiece Batman that incorporates every detail of every Batman including each actor that portrayed them! And every toy too, because why not?

• Like Like x 1
  14. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

Agreed. My Inferno will be one of the few MPs to get some stickers. While I like his overall design, like I said before, his legs do indeed look boring. I see no need for a new Soundwave.

That makes poor Wheeljack sad!:(  But it's interesting to hear that. He is actually one of my favourite MPs.

15. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

It doesn't matter either way. I go by what looks best. It doesn't matter if it's official, 3rd party or KO. I'm pretty picky on what I want and it's rare that I will sell off a third party figure for an official. I don't mind the simplicity of newer officials, but if Takara misses the boat, oh well. The only ones I replaced were TFC Ironhide for the official and eventually MT Grapple for the official. If my MP Hot Rod wasn't an anniversary gift, I would sell it for FT's version. There is no way I'm replacing FT Insecticons, FT/OS KO dinobots, MT Hound, MMC Mirage, MMC Trailbreaker, KFC Blaster and MT Megatron.

16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    [QUOTE="King Nergil, post: 14082344, member: 113469fir] greed. My Inferno will be one of the few MPs to get some stickers. While I like his overall design, like I said before, his legs do indeed look boring. I see no need for a new Soundwave.

That makes poor Wheeljack sad!:(  But it's interesting to hear that. He is actually one of my favourite MPs.[/QUOTE]

It puzzles me too honestly. Normally i'm a sucker for any Wheeljack toy mainly because of the colorscheme.
    I think the main reason is he doesnt look squat enough to me. I am used to Wheeljack looking kinda squat and the MP seems more lanky and "heroic" looking.

One thing i do feel should be mandatory for all MP's by the way are doublehinged elbows and knees.
    And an MP should be able to sit like a person.

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    So far I've only found it detrimental for Smokescreen.

18. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    As a G1 toy fan, yes they have.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

I'm not a fan of where the MP line is heading, it used to be the end all be all Transformer line, but not anymore.

20. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Every time I read somebody post that they want the older MPs redone with less details and fewer paint apps I feel like I've fallen into the Bizarro world.

I think it will continue, though, and one reason is they're finishing up the so-called "Real Car Series" and the characters that have real-world analogues. From here on it's largely futuristic designs and it won't matter if they're 100% cartoon-accurate because the latter G1 toys were lower quality than the early ones that came from Diaclone, so they had less details and fewer paint apps to begin with.

But yes, I've not bought either of the Fuso trucks due to their lack of real-world accuracy, and I do prefer one of the 3rd party figures (the Ocular Max ones, I think they are). And I've yet to see a good explanation for why the Nissan vans couldn't have had removable side mirrors like the Corvettes did.

Conversely, I'm not nearly as bothered by Megatron as others seem to be. The sculpt looks fine, all he needs is a coat of silver paint (and/or chrome) and I'm good with him. Shockwave, too, is fine with me as is (nothing in the real world for him to resemble).

• Like Like x 1