Has Bayformers helped TF's collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kiwisoccer, Jun 14, 2014.

1. kiwisoccer

kiwisoccer Well-Known Member

I was just thinking if none of the Bayformers movies ever came out would series like the MP lines or 3rd party TF's be as big as it is now?

My thinking was that the movies helped generate more money for hasbro to release other TF's that they might not had the budget to do, or maybe help generate more buzz for the 3rd party makers to take notice and go ahead with production?

Or do you disagree and think it wouldn't have made any difference and if so why?

Ps I don't want this to become a pissing contest between G1 and Bayformers fanboys (or fan girls) ok :) 

2. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

didn't the first masterpiece figures come out due to the success of the armada line?

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP-01 came out 2003-2004-ish, so probably.

4. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Well it did bring old fans back into the fold & injected new blood into the fandom..

I do know of quite a number of folks who initially back in '07 only collect the movie stuff but now have totally sworn off bayformers. They now either collect the CHUGs or the MP line. :) 

5. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    Not for me. I wish that line would die and go away.

6. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Armada was a what saved tf from extinction in early 2000's despite what people say.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Armada was launched in 2002. MP-01 was officially revealed in mid-2003 and released in late 2003. According to interviews with the Takara staff, the development time for the figure was over three years, so there's really no way for this to work.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

9. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Well, they definitely brought me back. I no longer collect movie figures, MPs now, but credit where it's due.

10. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    This!

It's what I was referring to in my earlier posting. ;) 

11. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Cool to hear other guys have had the same experience. My wife bought me premium deluxe Bumblebee in '08 as something of a joke to cheer me up. I hadn't had a Transformer since 1988 in 4th grade. I wasn't even a toy collector! But I felt like a seven year old again when I opened that figure and my jaw dropped at the articulation and engineering. I could not believe how far TFs had come in thirty years and all those old feelings came back. My poor wife had no idea what that spur of the moment purchase would lead to! After building up a huge as-close-to-scale-as-possible movie collection, I decided I HAD to act quickly and jump on the MP bandwagon last summer. I couldn't let another release pass me by. They were G1 perfection - exactly what I'd wanted since 1984. I sold all my movie toys, got about 1k, and used it all to fund my MP collection. I now have MP-08 on up and am in complete awe of these figures. But, yeah, it definitely started with the Bay stuff.

12. Rev

Rev Well-Known Member

Yes, the success and attention shown to the Transformers brand due to the movies has helped toy sales. No brainier.

13. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    ^ 100%

I was still in Iraq when the 1st movie came out in the summer of 07. I had just gotten off a mission and my unit was a few weeks away from leaving ( after being extended 4 months) Went to the Hadji market and bought a dvd of TF ( yea piracy) went to my hooch, and watched the movie from my bed. Since then I've got back into buying figs.

True Story- Paramount's lawyer's sent official cease and desist letters to the US Military to stop the Piracy of DVD's in Iraq, Kuwait and A-Stan. The DoD Told them to pound sand- US Laws don't apply.

14. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yup.. plus.. they bring attention back to transformers.. and a lot of those people enjoy the other masterpiece and generations stuff because of the attention the movies have brought.

say whatever you want.. that's just what has happened.

i doubt the masterpiece line would be as strong as it is if there weren't any movies.. none of the people who got back into transformers would be into the movies, and those people probably wouldn't be too privy to most of the masterpiece figures because they probably wouldn't be searching online for new ones.

you can point to MP01's release, or you can say it was armada all you want.. but the masterpiece line didn't really pick up until around grimlock and REALLY started anew once MP10 was released.. and again, unless you're someone who has kids and happened to have seen MP10 in TRU, you probably wouldn't know about it.

people can hate the existence of the movies and toys all they want (which is a shame because there's a lot of cool stuff that it has to offer).. but the fact is that they've brought back a TON of attention to this franchise.. people see the movie, they get nostalgic and want to further checkout what's been going on.. then they find out that toys that they loved when they were kids are getting brand new molds.

personally, i don't think hasbro/retailers have done a good enough job capitalizing on the attention.. i mean, hasbro has been SOOO slow in releasing the masterpiece figures it's insane.. they still haven't gotten to sideswipe, red alert, prowl, bluestreak, or smokescreen.. and now there's bumblebee, wheeljack, and magnus coming up around the corner. it's a shame they (hasbro/retailers) aren't getting done what needs to get done for these things to hit shelves in the US.

15. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Yes. And I hate the Movies.

They brought in new blood, new enthusiasm and more importantly new money.

That said, they don't get to claim they saved the world, cured cancer or any of the other "if it wasn't for the Movies......." BS that gets thrown around on certain parts of this board. Transformers existed before 07 and did just fine thanks.

The Movies actually KEPT me away from active Transfandom for years. And while this might be an extreme reaction......I'm not the only one. If I never have to see, hear or smell another Michael Bay "Transformers Movie", associated "product" or disciple of such again I'll be a happy camper.

Thank God for Takara MPs, the Third Parties and the flickers of life in the twitching almost-corpse of Generations.

16. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thank you for your service, it's greatly appreciated. i always look back and wish i had enlisted.. i just feel that i'm not doing my part. thanks again.

17. Alpha_&_Omega

Alpha_&_Omega From the Covenant of Primus...

they definitely helped my collecting. The movie hype increased the value of the toys that I already had and filled the hasbro pegs with toys I didn't want making it easier to save up for the non-movie ones I do want. Thank you Mr. Bay!

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Agree with all your points but the last one. Hasbro -must- stay one step behind of the japanese MP line. For many reasons. And to be honest, I wouldn't doubt it's in some sort of written agreement with takara.

Bumblebee, Magnus and Wheeljack aren't around the corner. Wheeljack maybe, but the other two definitely not. They're more or less 6 months away.

Hasbro MP figures are traditionally cheaper than takara's equivalent, and with the past two "large" releases [Prime and Soundwave] there's minor differences between them as well. If the figures were released a month apart or so in their perspective markets, the takara line would greatly suffer. Not as many people would opt for the takara release, even people in Japan, when they could probably try and find a way to import the hasbro version for cheaper than the local takara version.

Just have a look at takara MP Soundwave's second run. First run came out, people went like crazy to get it, prices soared around 250 USD for a while. Hasbro version with the tapes comes out for cheaper, everybody rushes for that. Takara's second release comes a couple of months later...and almost a year later, it is still discounted in online stores.

Now think of that situation happening across all releases with the first runs.

Somebody's either a bit delusional or was not really paying much attention pre-2007.

The takara MP line was indirectly invigorated by new people brought in by the movies in the first place. If you need a reality check, just check the fanboys in the MP threads on the news section and their join dates.

The MP line you're thanking god for right now was a series of standalone sporadic releases. Because the number of actual collectors has increased, takara is willing to invest more money and make it closer to a full-fledged line.

Say what you want, dislike the movies as much as you want, but you cannot deny the effect it had on the fandom. The movies basically took the franchise out of the "80ies novelty" crib and forced it into modern pop culture.

19. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If nothing else, it's brought a lot of attention to the brand as a whole.

20. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Absolutely. Aside from the increased exposure and money for HasTak, a lot of the engineering that went into the various movie toy lines (ROTF/HFTD especially -- the pinnacle of Movie figure engineering) also helped advance other lines, such as Generations and Masterpiece.

Twitching corpse of Generations? Seriously? That's not overdramatic hyperbole at all, no sir. Thrilling 30? No such thing because it's been cancelled by AOE toys, you heard it here, folks. :D  Windblade and company are now replaced by hundreds of Bayverse Bee repaints; you're welcome! :lol 

:thumb  I remember watching a bootleg version of TFTM while I was stationed in Okinawa on guard duty while temporarily assigned to Security Forces (AF Military Police); you can only stare at the flightline for 12-13 hours straight before you go mad with boredom. :)  Of course, I then went out and attended the official movie screening at the off-base theater with friends. A good time was had by all.