Harry Potter Vs ROTF - Anyone concerned?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Starscreamer217, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I disagree 100%. The second movie explained everything it needed to and was easy to understand. It didn't explain everything in every little detail, but it shouldn't have to, it is coherent as is...just poorly paced the last hour. The first movie may have been a little bit more simple, but that's only because there was far less story told.

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I agree 100%. There is much more to complain about with the first movie than ROTF.

3. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

the first movie had a plot, the 2nd movie had random scenes put together

4. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:

agreed

it just had action sequences that were 10 times more boom-bastic than the first one and 100 times more US military Haha

5. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When we saw ROTF at the first midnight showing one of my wife's friends went with us and we had agreed to watch the midnight showing of Harry Potter with her. I like the other HP movies, but this last one just left me feeling bored. It was too predictable and there wasn't much action or great story telling. We have seen ROTF 4 times and I would gladly watch it another 4 times if time permits. Now, on the other hand you couldn't pay for my ticket to see HP again...

6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    this is pretty much the consensus that i've heard.

7. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

:rolleyes2 

8. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I posted this a few days ago on the news thread.

According to the Associated Press:

LOS ANGELES – Harry Potter has returned with some princely returns at the box office. The new big-screen adventure "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" took in $79.5 million domestically over opening weekend and $159.7 million since debuting last Wednesday.

That's the second-highest start ever for a movie premiering on Wednesday, trailing the $200 million five-day opening for last month's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen."

The sixth movie about the young wizard came in $20 million ahead of the last movie, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which grossed $139.7 million in its first five days two years ago.

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The majority of that $20m difference is from the opening day. The weekend numbers are almost identical; in fact, HP6 actually made less on it's first Sunday than HP5 did, and had smaller gains and bigger drops when compared to HP5.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=vs-harrypotter.htm

I think HP6 is going to struggle to get anywhere near $300m. Yes, it's worldwide total is going to challenge TF2, but domestically it's not even a contest anymore.

10. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I think word of mouth has helped TF2 tremendously, more so then HP6 I'm sure imo.

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A 20 million dollar increase on opening day shows that Hp's core fan base is standing strong if not growing. Even if the weekend numbers are the same that's great news. That Hp can perform just as well in the summer as it has in the winter is excellent news.
    Anybody expecting it to hit 300 mil was daydreaming, only one of the 6 movies has ever hit that mark. Who is it thats trying so hard to make this a contest or a battle? Why do some TF fans have to rag on every other movie that comes out this summer?

12. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

it doesnt matter which films makes more money cuz in the end....BAY STILL WINS...

[​IMG]

13. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout In Existential Crisis Mode

News Credits:
    I don't follow many other franchises as closely as I do Transformers but from what I understand this kind of behavior is not unique to us. Potter fans do it. Star Trek fans do it, etc. It's really a matter of the degree to which it's taken (which varies from message board to message board. I wouldn't say the whole TF fan community is chomping at the bit to see which franchise performs better - for my part, I'm just happy RotF has succeeded so there'll be a sequel).

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

[​IMG]

15. Spoon

Spoon Banned

^^ I don't know what that picture is meant to mean, but that guy's expression sums up my thoughts as well.

16. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ya i havent been hearing a lot of positive things about HP...

17. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    :lol 

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

We'll just say "the Dude abides" and leave it at that ;) 

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I feel that HBP was a bit better edited together, and told its story far clearer than RotF. However, BOTH films fell victim to teenage romance angst bullshit. HBP gets a minor pass because thats how the books were written. There was no need to try and run Sam and Mikaela's relationship into the ground.

However, RotF is a lot more visually impressive as a film because of the very nature of its subject so HBP is no threat in the VFX department. And personally I found the acting in HBP to pretty good. Helena Bonham Carter is nuts in the worst way possible. Though the girl that plays Luna is just ten shades of adorable crazy.

Both good films, both are very popular for very different reasons.

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I hate to break it to you, but HP5 was a summer release as well.