Harmony Gold suing hasbro over the SDCC Jetfire set

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by sokutai, Jul 24, 2013.

1. gakken85

gakken85 Banned

This is the most insane part:

"what they are seeking is:
    1) Remaining toys to be removed from sale;
    2) Unsold stock to be turned over to them (& a possible recall);
    3) Lots of $ in damages."

2. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure there are alot of from my cold dead hands comming up.

Also, I guess the guys that worked at Harmony Gold just didn't want to pay those e-bay prices for those exclusives ha.

3. gakken85

gakken85 Banned

They've done more to rape macross than M. Bay has don't to rape transformers.

4. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would have to guess that the actual Harmony Gold and Hasbro lawyers are not actually concerned about this. Some fanboy probably wrote a letter to Harmony Gold saying it looked like their Veritech, and they were legally obligated to "vigorously defend" their intellectual property as a matter of course. Once this suit is filed, the judge will find that it doesn't violate their IP and everyone will go home, the lawyers having done their job.

5. locidm

locidm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    way to lit the rage fire of two of the bigger fandoms out there......

6. Autobot_Goldbug

Autobot_Goldbug The REAL Goldbug

News Credits:
  7. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hopefully this'll knock out their Macross licensing BS for that smaller fandom. I don't watch the show myself, but I always feel bad for those guys. They're like a little kid getting picked on in a school yard.

8. locidm

locidm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the macross fandoms have been cursing the brains out over HG for decades......

Macross is currently HUGE in Japan due to the new Macross Frontier stuff. It's a great show with great toys that Everybody else have to import because of HG.

9. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One!

Ebay:
    I'm surprised Hasbro hasn't learned from the last time they did this. Ah, their arrogance will cost them yet again, and rightfully so.

10. GetterRobo

GetterRobo Well-Known Member

I remember... from what I recalled, the president (of Sunward) sold off the company to Yamato, afterwards created Toynami. The president (again from what I recall), just wanted to sell Macross (thanks to HG 'Rowboatech') toys (updated variants) that he recalled from his childhood.

If anyone wants to read an entire debate about HG and Robotech, checkout Macrossworld super thread on them... the 8th thread, being the last debate posting.

Also, checkout my sig, Zor Primus of Macrossworld summed it all up.

11. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Harmony Gold=Soul Sucking Leech

HG has a history of pulling of this crap and instead of allowing Macross back into the States they rabidly attack anything they deem "likeness to the Robotech intellectual property." Knowing Hasbro does everything within it's power to avoid infringement of any kind, I kind of welcome this, hopefully the ensuing lawsuit soon to be filed on Hasbro's part for this cease and desist order recouping costs on loss of sales and profit will finally put HG out of business once and for all, but I know the cancerous bastards will find some way to hang on...

12. RageTreb

RageTreb Well-Known Member

So this seems to imply that while Hasbro might have had some of these sets left over from SDCC, they are forbidden from selling them until this gets settled. Assuming this does get settled favorably for Hasbro, does that mean in a month or two (or hell, a year or two), these sets will just randomly appear on Hasbro Toy Shop? Or better yet, at closeout stores?

13. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How is this going to work? What Jetfire after G1 looks like a Valkyrie or Veritech?

I hope this suit backfires, isn't it about time Harmony Gold lost its hold over Macross?

14. yami4ct

News Credits:
    On HTS? Maybe. At a clearance store? Never. You overestimate the number of these guys left. There's a reason they sell out in minutes.

15. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

IANAL (though I took a few business law classes), and I would guess that this is the correct answer. I highly doubt that HG wants to go against Hasbro so much as they have to defend their rights, because...

They apparently own the image rights to Macross and thus any commercial product based on those images.

They have a financial stake in the distribution/property rights to some of the Macross/Robotech product which means that anyone wishing to distribute Macross product outside of Japan needs to make a deal with them. If they fail to defend that claim, they lose this right and thus a large source of their revenue. As it's been pointed out, they don't produce a heck of a lot on their own. But what turned out to be a short-sighted decision by other media companies thirty years ago does not negate HG's legal rights.

And the paint work. There's enough similarities that they feel that they must do this.

Similar situation: Bill Waterson owns the rights to the "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip he created. The comic syndicate which distributed the strip wanted to market the characters but Mr. Waterson turned them down. Now if I produce my own Calvin and Hobbes toys, call them "Bob and Leroy" and sell them, I'm going to be sued. It doesn't matter that I'm not happy that he doesn't write and draw that comic strip anymore, or that I changed the names, it's still his property.

16. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    I think this is stupid, but I think Harmony Gold has standing, not just on the infringement, but on damages, too.

Something everyone is forgetting: Harmony Gold is making a live action Robotech movie, which will probably use the original designs. It's been in development hell w/ the live action Voltron movie, both partially due to all the red tape w/ the original Japanese companies & both since 2005 (ironically, the success of the 2007 TF movie gave them some traction to get things off the ground).

This is probably a Trademark issue, arguing that the colors, w/ the boosters, on a too-similar plane look too much like a specific Valkyrie, & the confusion will come w/ a movie toyline.

As to Classics Jetfire, it was specifically designed around these issues. It's a hybrid of a Valkyrie & the cartoon model. To put in in TF terms, design wise (as in changes vs. copying), Classics Jetfire is like FansProject (changing enough to get around the rights issues), where as this is closer to iGear (more or less copying the existing stuff, but updating the technology).

Oh, & to all of you saying this will bankrupt HG, I doubt it. Last I heard, Toby McGuire (aka the 1st live action Spider-Man) is bank rolling the Robotech movie (the fans hate that he wants to be Rick Hunter :banghead: ); also, that story I linked to (about finding a director, from 2 weeks ago), also says that Warner Bros. is on board now, too.

The reason so little has happened w/ Robotech since 2005 is the movie. They put the Shadow Chronicles sequel on hiatus until they finished the live action movie. I wasn't even aware of Love, Live, Alive until this thread. I don't know enough about Love, Live, Alive to know if I should get it. What I found says it's supposed to tie everything Robotech together, & set up Shadow Rising. I already have Shadow Chronicles from the original release, so I don't know if it's even worth the $15.

17. yami4ct

News Credits:
    Interesting. I didn't know Skyfire's paint scheme was direct from macross. I always thought he was like Omega Supreme. The toy was licensed, but they threw their own colors on there. If the colors are from Macross as well, it's a whole different ballgame.

18. Autobot_Goldbug

Autobot_Goldbug The REAL Goldbug

News Credits:
    the plane is not the same

19. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Well I'm not going to see it if the role isn't filled by the 60+ year old original voice actor.

20. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

This really sucks to be honest.. I'm actually hesitant to buy live, love, alive now simply because I don't want to support a company doing this.. and really.. how long ago was it that the first pictures of the SDCC set came out online? And they are only now filing suit? Awfully convenient considering they have a new dvd on the racks at walmart..

I vastly prefer Robotech to Macross.. but I generally feel that HG is a pretty shitty company that makes completely asinine choices.. I certainly don't think that allowing fans of Macross to watch Macross would upset fans of Robotech, like me, or even cause that much confusion. Outside of serious Anime fans, not many people are going to watch an un-localized cartoon (be realistic, All cartoons are dubbed, just depends on what language they are dubbed in!)... however this is a seriously long simmering thing.. HG has been waiting since 84 to snap Hasbro on that character and finally got the chance. But the ability for that toy to cause them damage is minimal, the ability for this lawsuit to bring them fortune by drawing attention to themselves will likely be the boon to the company over any actual settlement...