Harmony Gold suing hasbro over the SDCC Jetfire set

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by sokutai, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Well said, but it's more like 2 decades (I'm counting the Toonami airing).

If anyone has a valid grump, its Northrup Grumann who never saw a dime from Macross, Hasbro (through TF and GI Joe), or Harmony Gold (or did they?). Both vehicles are based on the same jet... the Northrup Grumann F-14 "Tomcat". They are also based on the same piloted mecha, imported from a Japanese toy line/anime. Matsushiru, prior to getting absorbed by Bandai, sold Hasbro the rights to the VF-1S Super Valkyrie toy. (That being said, Hasbro had no rights to the VF-1S's brothers, the VF-1J, -1A, and -1D, or the other armor packages.) In spite of this, there were other licensing arrangements made by other (authorized) makers of Macross toys, resulting in about a half dozen "Jetfire"-like toys (The VF-1 family in different sizes, configurations, or materials) being sold by a half-dozen different companies -- some larger and more lasting than others. (This is also why at least one competing toy company had smaller scale versions of Whirl and Roadbuster -- or their Overlon Gazette and Mugen Caliber counterparts -- in their transforming robot toy lines.) Unlike the others, the Transformers was a toy line with accompanying media, and Harmony Gold has the media rights to Macross and its VF-1s. As a result, Jetfire in comics and cartoons was forced to take on a different appearance and/or identity. (That didn't stop a few children's books from using illustrations featuring a Super VF-1S style Jetfire.)

In this case, Harmony Gold only stands to lose... BADLY, because the toy being used for this platform is Hasbro's own G.I. Joe Skystriker, which is based on the F-14 (single-seat variant). It doesn't transform, and can only copy... the original double-seat Skystriker. The weapons included belong to the Skystriker. If they wish to get technical about Jetfire's solid fuel (and transport) pack, it is a hybrid of Skyfire/Jetfire's cartoon pack, and the pack shared by toy Jetfire with the VF-1 Valkyrie fighters of Macross.

To quote Mama Harper, "Bullpucky."
    The only legal fight I see brewing is one I haven't heard anything about. The SDCC Jetfire Skystriker uses decals nearly identical to Cobrastickers.com's Jetfire set for the 2011-12 Skystriker. The Cobrastickers set is even pictured on the box, but the SDCC decals have very subtle differences. When I wrote Cobrastickers to ask about a set to replace smudged decals I got from a MISB box, I was told that Hasbro and Cobrastickers never collaborated, and they had only learned from 3rd parties that the SDCC Jetfire label sheets significantly resembled their own product (which had been on their website for 1.5-2 years). It would be the same as if Hasbro re-issuing G1 Metroplex or Trypticon, not with the original decals, but copies made of Reprolabels' "Upgrade sets", which are 100% original and use none of the originals' decal patterns.

Too too true.

2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This just seems DUMB as hell to me.

Mabye because im American, and this has something to do with "honor" or something..but is it just me or does it seem like there is some old guy, sitting in a $10,000 chair that learned how to use the internet, and he has a SERIOUS grudge against the original transformers G1 Jetfire/macros thing?

Ok...I LOVE Robotech too. Its great. I honestly liked robotech just as much as TF stuff as a kid..but you know what? Unless your a Toy Dork, you will not know ANYTHING of Robotech if you live in the states these days.

Would it not make sense, for these guys instead of FIGHTING Hasbro, to ride the coat tails of this cash cow of a world wide toy company?

Would it not make sense for them to just say "hey...Hasbro..You guys can make ONE G1 Jetfire based off OUR mold and sell it without repaints..you know why? because when all your Transformers fans get a hold of OUR product, they will BUY THE SHIT OUT OF IT. TWICE. HELL EVEN TWENTY TIMES."

Hell..If I could walk into a TRU and buy a Destroid (Im an old battletech player so some names I have a re different..) Like a Rifleman, Warhammer, Or Archer that was deluxe size to go with my TFs? Then sell Transformable veritechs and Alphas...ALL that shit could be possible if they just rode the coat tails and worked their own product here...

But seeing robotech toys in American toy stores will never be seen again if they keep fighting like this.

Cant even blame this on the internet because its SO damn old it reeks of mildew and dust...for FANS sake just stop the fighting and make money OFF Hasbro to sell veritechs and shit.

3. gakken85

gakken85 Banned

We should bomb their twitter and facebook pages

4. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know that Hasbro been looking employees in this job market I receive them currently. I honestly wouldn't mind working for the company as techie. So most of my postings are speculations since I am neither a lawyer or business person. Health of the company is based upon how much the company head hunting in this case Hasbro looking to expand the employee base. Basic product lines like Magic: The Gathering, My Little Pony, G.I. Joe, and Transformers are either getting stronger or going strong.

I do apologize for long winded at times.

5. openchallenge

openchallenge Enough with the exclusives.

I'm taking my 1/55s out of the detolfs and storing them. I can't derive fun from looking at them with the way harmony gold handles things. They have a great license but everyone seems to walk in a big circle around them. Compared to hasbro they failed. They prevent more things than they add and the longer they do that increases the scope of their failure. They should sell the license to hasbro or do something creative with it. Only coming off the pot for this "opportunity" isn't fun or inspiring.

6. gakken85

gakken85 Banned

Not to mention they block new Macross toys from being sold here.

7. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The weird thing about this is they can really only sue for lost revenue, which means what, 1/6th of the "wholesale cost" of the set... So if there were (for example) 5000 of them sold at $100 each, that means ~$8000. 8 grand is nothing in the bigger scheme of things. What can HG possibly gain from this?

8. WilyMech

News Credits:
    Part of me think that HG thinks that Americans are dumb and also they believe Hasbro will settle. I know that some Japanese think Americans are stupid at times and yeah they are stupid at times for doing equally dumb things. Yeah were can be dicks at the time but....it universal not just American trait.

Rule Number 1 is never take advantage of consumer base your company will go down hill from there.

I love Robotech as well.

Japanese companies doing stupid stuff too as well I mean I have anger issue with Yugioh products to point of giving up collecting them. The card material is vastly inferior to any of Magic: The Gathering Cards in quality and even the OCG (Japanese) cards are better. It irritates me when foreign companies substandard products that they are not willing to sell in their own countries. I know other toy companies do the same.

The only I came up with is forcing Hasbro to settle. I don't HG wants or afford to be business any longer if you read my postings earlier. It like a Kamikazi move in WWII Japanese plane (Harmony Gold) attacking a giant warship (Hasbro) by crashing into it. HG is not going survive but they want to go down blaze of glory.

9. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

In for some good ole' fashioned Harmony Gold hate.:popcorn 

Those guys are fucking copyright trolls. :scalper 

10. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I suppose the question comes down to if the futuristic jet+fastpack is infringing enough on the design. Since the other piece is a standard JOE product, it really comes down just to the fastpack. Personally I don't think the courts will give Harmony Gold the time of day, but either way you won't be seeing any future G1 Skyfire style toys from Hasbro ever having anything resembling a fastpack ever again. After this, really surprised they didn't get bit on classics Jetfire.

11. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Sadly it seems that Harmony Gold has the international rights to Macross pretty well tied permanetly up due to a very dumb ruling by a California judge. Which would explain why Big West or Bandai never just gave the rights to someone else for the later Macross series.

12. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Maybe Harmony Gold can sue over Classics Jetfire also.

13. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I'm betting they already had and lost. No clue if that's true, but just a hunch based on prior behavior out of them..

14. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why You Haven't Seen Any New Macross in the West for Nearly 15 Years

Here's an interesting Kotaku article on it. The tl:dr version is:

HG has legit rights to the first Macross cartoon worldwide (first 1/3 of Robotech as we know it) but has essentially filed cease and desist letters stating that they own *all* macross cartoons and toys (and comics, etc) outside Japan.

No one has challenged them on it (yet), hence nothing has been released, and apparently the people who legit own the Japanese rights to the other series don't care enough to try to get it out outside Japan.

15. darkshot8

darkshot8 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Why did they block new macross toys from entering the US? are they dumb?

16. yami4ct

News Credits:
    He's not a part of this suit and seems like he's much too old to go after now. If they win, maybe, but unlikely. They might have felt the squatness of the jet (it's much more hard edged and compact than a typical macross jet) differentiated it enough to not make it a winnable suit.

If they had, it would have been announced. Suits like this don't stay private. We would have already seen an article like this if a previous suit existed.

17. Autobot_Goldbug

Autobot_Goldbug The REAL Goldbug

News Credits:
    I'm betting Hasbro will win easily. Then we will see many more Jet/Skyfires.

18. yami4ct

News Credits:
    I think we might never see another fastpack again, as that's what caused the issue. Even if they win, we might see HG try again if they release a different toy. They are a stubborn bunch. Hasbro legal would rather cutoff the problem before it starts. We will still get Jet/Skyfires, but they won't have their trademark red jetpacks.

19. Autobot_Goldbug

Autobot_Goldbug The REAL Goldbug

News Credits:
    What if this lawsuit gives those people a chance to try to get the rights back?
    Then that is a huge gamble for HG to take.

20. WilyMech

News Credits:
    ^ No desperate they figured on they have nothing to lose.