Harmony Gold suing hasbro over the SDCC Jetfire set

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by sokutai, Jul 24, 2013.

1. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am not into business that much. The other problem Harmony Gold may not care about employees that cannot transfer to another company. Hasbro will survive whatever the outcome is and they are not shaky ground. No it is not slam dunk but in Hasbro case they are stronger grounds than Harmony Gold. It not the upper management in Harmony Gold will get hurt they probably insulated themselves. My guess it is some sort of self sabotage to escape out of contractual agreements. In other words they could have been manipulating the system for their benefit of upper management to get out fines to stockholders. It almost they don't care unless someway they get something to benefit them.

2. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Re: Jetfire - Yes the colouring is similar to Jetfire - but Jetfire itself was a hodgepodge of various Veritechs anyway rather than a copy of a single one - and It has a cabin and mini-side wings on the boosters - something they don't have originally - a great many of those Boosters are not symmetrical either they have one pod longer than the other - and I don't think 'Rick Hunter's' one ever had red booster pods on it either as best as I recall they were grey ??.

So wrong colour and wrong shape boosters - the only tie is the jet mode and the colours looking a little similar - but Hasbro can say they copied the colours from Titanium 6" or Classics Jetfire quite easily.

The did skirt close to the wings with the logos though - but the box design is quite clearly more Gi Joe focused and has no explicit visual resemblance to Macross or Robotech I can see. even the jet can be stated to not be that close to the originals as it's got round engines not square ones, and so as to make it look a bit more unlike a real Tomcat it has the Machine gun on top of the nose not underneath.

I suppose they'd have been safer making it a Cobra red or blue deco Skystriker though and using normal red boosters so people can make their own by applying the boosters to a normal X-14 Skystriker toy.

The advantage of that is it might have interested the Gi Joe fans to to have an Official Skystriker in Crimson Guard or Cobra "Army" blue. and the boosters even tie into the upper atmosphere assault function some Cobra planes have too.

Perhaps if Hasbro wanted to they can re-use the boosters on a Funpub toy too coloured like a suggest or even sell just the boosters. If they wanted to troll Harmony Gold they could make them grey.

3. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Drifting around

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They don't even do crap with the Macross Franchise.
    seesh, what a bunch of jackasses.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Why can't people let something cool exist?

5. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

now we need pics of SDCC Jetfire, Classics Jetfire and G1 Jetfire to end this

6. WilyMech

News Credits:
    It also may benefit the Macross Franchise to wind up being own by Hasbro.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    An interesting postulation.

I recall when Hasbro wanted Galoob and the regular employee's and the home town were dead against it - (It did lead to job looses In San Francisco) they just gave a small fortune to the board to wave it through.... If harmony gold get a bunch of money waved under their noses to put up shop might they do the same ? and could it even be deliberate ?

I'd need to know the ownership situation - like who has their shares (if they have any).

But it's an interesting thought - are they deliberately trying to get Hasbro to pay them off so the high up can retire - I can't see they have very many employees though as they don't seem to do anything very much.

8. HMRC4EVR

HMRC4EVR Well-Known Member

Dear Harmony Gold:

Right now you're being SO STUPID that Matty Collector is laughing at you and saying all you're doing it hurting your fanbase..

Now THAT'S saying a lot!

9. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Okay. While I can see the grounds that Harmony gold would have in suing Hasbro... there's no way they'll win this suit.

Especially since, like people have said, Hasbro released Classics Jetfire-- WHICH IS MUCH MORE LAWSUIT-WORTHY-- and Harmony gold did nothing. HG is doomed to lose.

10. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's Harmony Gold that are keeping everything Macross out of the West. I hope Hasbro bankrupt them and grind them into powder, HG have been nothing but a bunch of parasytes for years.

One badly designed contract and we have to put up with crap like this for decades. I have no sympathy for anyone associated with the company when it goes under, the sooner the better.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Pretty weenie Harmony Gold.

12. O.Supreme

O.Supreme Defender of the Ark

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Complete BS. Harmony Gold just released a "new" Robotech movie that will be most universally hated because its 95% stock footage. Now they are grasping its straws to get money from toy giant Hasbro. If anyone has a right to sue it would be Bandai Japan where the original design of the valkyrie came from (Not harmony gold/Robotech) The last deperate act of a dying company to make a buck. :mad 

13. zelse

zelse Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think its funny we want the little guy crushed. Harmony sure knows how to cort a userbase.

14. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I called HTS to ask about the Crossover Set. I didn't expect much info but figured I would try. The girl I spoke to was very nice, she said all they were told was that there was a lawsuit and that they were not selling them. She would not elaborate or disclose anything else. I explained that I didn't want to stalk the website if they weren't going to release anymore, and she told me that she didn't want to tell me not to keep checking, because you never know, all she knew is that they weren't included with the rest of the items today because of the lawsuit. Take that for what it's worth, I guess. My thoughts are that TFCC bought the intended stock that was reserved for HTS in order to keep with the court order of not continuing to sell the item. Technically the remaining stock was sold to TFCC (maybe even at retail) which is why they are using the guise of the raffle and selling them with the mark up.

15. WilyMech

News Credits:
    Not if HG has been acting like a shell company for past 3 decades. The impression I got from the thread was they haven't invested in the product line. So if Harmony Gold goes Bankrupt the Upper Management and the board gets nothing. If for some reason betting on Hasbro to settle so they can get a bunch money by holding Jetfire hostage. I think this desperation to not lose the collective shirts from Owners, Upper Management in Harmony Gold save from the dishonor of losing your shirt. It is dangerous move one could backfire.

They know that Transformers is increasing in popularity and try to get a cut in profits.

Intuitive thinking that sees a pattern. I am speculating on the motive as to why sue Hasbro when HG unlikely to win. Unless if Hasbro gets copyrights to Macross Franchise via settlement by paying more money than the copyright actually is worth.

16. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    People root for the "little guy" until they find out the little guy is a complete douchebag.

17. O.Supreme

O.Supreme Defender of the Ark

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That toy came out in 2006, the same year as "Shadow Chronicles"- HG had a movie they were making $$$ on so they didn't care. :inquisiti 

18. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

If Hasbro somehow ends up owning the Macross franchise we can have a crossover comic!

Jetfire can be a valkyrie that's been modified and given a spark or something.. ok, I am getting ahead of all this.

19. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

if this little guy wasn't harmony gold, you know, the worst dubbing company ever? even worse then four kids, and has been preventing much BETTER companies from releasing better products of their so called "licenses" then we'd probably all be agreeing with them.

but they are harmony gold.

20. MachSabre

MachSabre Blackmarket T-Cog Dealer

You know, we all know online petitions never go anywhere. But in this particular case, I wonder if a petition was made for Hasbro to show solidarity and support, not just among their core fans but even fans of Bandai and Macross, to encourage them to pursue the lawsuit, that this WON'T be a PR nightmare, but a wonderful public image deal. Harmony Gold has been basically Trademark bullies for over two decades now, and I cannot think of a company more fitting to stand up to a bully than the company that gave us G.I.Joe and Optimus Prime.