Harmony Gold suing hasbro over the SDCC Jetfire set

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by sokutai, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Hmmmm

So that's who helped write those shitty cartoons......

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah it's a sad thing. Guess that's the reason we haven't really seen any Macross revival in the US. I think it'd translate really well to a movie.

How is he a hack? Sorry not too familiar with his work. I remember he used to work on a Macross comic or something like that? i guess that's before they lost the license to do Macross likenesses in media.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Hence they're forever stuck on the Rick Hunter storyline?

Wonder if this is the main reason why Kawamori won't address what happens to Hikaru's crew.

But my thing is, this SDCC Jetfire thing is not THAT close to a VF-1 is it? Granted I've only seen one pic of it, which I thought was HIDEOUS. :lol 

I mean, there are some pretty large differences between a F-14 and a VF-1. I understand to a person unfamiliar they may look the same but there's a laundry list of differences.

I think the picture of the Jetfire in battroid mode could be the strongest point of contention they have.

If that's the case, I wonder if Hasbro can just somehow get rid of the pic and all would be okay?

4. Dark Skull

News Credits:
  5. stormbringer251

stormbringer251 Well-Known Member

6. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Wait, how does the SDCC Jetfire even have a battroid mode? Or is there some illustration of him on the box? In which case I understand that could be pretty bad for Hasbro.

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I think someone mentioned a few pages back that the tech spec has a pic of him in battroid mode.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Real estate iirc

Can't be a Macross revival because of HG. Really comes off as if they WANT one and will let a company pursue it here only IF they get a piece of the pie because they themselves lack the innovation to do it themselves.

Also under the ruling, comics count as merchandise and not media hence why Yune was able to produce Robotech comics with Macross licenses

Last I heard they were trying to shift Robotech into becoming a sequel to Mospeada.

As for Kawamori I think he just likes leaving things in the past. He canned plans to bring Hikari and Miss back in 7 and while Exedol, Max and Milia were in there they weren't the focus of the show it was Sound Force. Even Macross plus started out as not even a Macross but Big West wouldn't fund it unless he made it a Macross iirc.

Point of contention would be the boosters on the Skystriker, design is very similar to the VF-1S fast pack boosters but with stabilizers attached and a cockpit shoved in the middle

I don't see this really helping HG. The sdcc Jetfire was a limited exclusive. If ANY make it to HTS it won't be many. Any sold thereafter are sold second hand.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  9. SemiOmegaPrime

SemiOmegaPrime Well-Known Member

Quick question to any IP Lawyers out there in our fandom, does the fact that Hasbro licensed the Jetfire mold from Takatoku (who I believe funded the the original Macross Animation) and then later Bandai (who during the time was and is a licensee from Big West) before Robotech aired have any weight in this situation?

10. Razerwire

News Credits:
    But it still looks a helluva lot uglier than a VF-1! :lol 

I mean, the thing is butt ugly! :p 

(Totally my own personal view of it, no offense to those that love it. :D )

I really hope that the Robotech movie doesn't get made. I'll be the first to admit, I would go watch just for the fight sequences because I'm a whore like that but I just can't imagine what HG would do to further destroy the Macross brand if a Robotech movie found success.

11. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    I can see that. Because honestly, we all know Robotech was nothing more than Agrama slightly editing maybe....about 10% (?) of Macross', Southern Cross', and Genesis Climber Mospeada's actual scripts/dialogue to link them together into what he thought was one cohesive story. Even as a child I knew there was something off about the whole thing. But who cares, they were transforming robots piloted by humans. I liked it. But now, with Robotech II (a dismal failure even for a disaster), and the Shadow Chronicles.....I'm really just surprised at how they're trying to hang onto and revive something that they themselves killed with their own hands.

If it were to be made, I pray it isn't done by HG. There's potential to have it be really sick.....but knowing HG, if they had a hand in it.....you might as well wait for it to come out on redbox.

12. Razerwire

News Credits:
    HG would have to have a hand in it, wouldn't they? Otherwise they would sue! :p 

13. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    They're so broke, they can't even pay attention.

14. SemiOmegaPrime

SemiOmegaPrime Well-Known Member

Shin I don't believe Macross needs a revival, from what I've seen of it it in Japan it's alive and vibrant compared to Robotech; Macross Frontier finished up I think two years ago, and it's only a matter of time until another Macross series starts up. Also they current have a Manga re-imagining called Macross The First drawn by Haruhiko Mikimoto.

15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Well Star Sabre mentioned a Macross revival in the US, that's the revival I was referring to I'm well aware of how Macross has become popular again in Japan through Macross F. A couple staff members here with me stayed up numerous times late into the night only to miss out on Bandai Macross F DX preorders not even a minute after they went live.

16. Almagnus1

Almagnus1 Active Member

I'd be happy if Hasbro just did a hostile takeover of HG.

Hasbro could do SOOO much more with the Macross and RoboTech IPs.

17. Hunter Knight

Hunter Knight Deceptibot customizer

I'm surprised Harmony Gold has money to hire a legal team for this crap..although if you look at the bio..they used a Veritech fighter on the pic...HG might have something there

18. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't believe I read thru all of this, especially the last few pages. Gotta say, I thought Robotech and Macross were the same thing, and I'm still not sure of what the differences are/were. Also, had no idea Robotech even made it out of the 80's, or that it even still existed.

19. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

if you noticed, they are banking on winning. as they plan for hasbro to pay all their legal fees.

20. Optronix1087

Optronix1087 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went ahead and ordered the set off Amazon. I was going to get it eventually but figured if this somehow does hold water I'd be better off now than later. Two questions I have and maybe someone here knows.

1. slightly off topic- is this the last G.I. Joe TF crossover exclusive?

2. back on topic- I wonder if this is why HTS didn't have them listed for sale with the rest of the SDCC exclusives.