Harmony Gold suing hasbro over the SDCC Jetfire set

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by sokutai, Jul 24, 2013.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    the reason we are so harsh on the word robotech because its connected to the company that prevents ANYTHING macross from coming over. they literally are evil and the utter mention of the word disgust me to no end. my dad likes robotech, and that's fine, robotech introduced a ton of people to macross. but harmony gold deserves to be burned at the stake, and defending them EVER is wrong.

robotech, you can like it, but because of harmony gold's evilness deserves to die a HORRIBLE and PAINFUL death

2. Badman Forever

Badman Forever More Than Meets The Eye

Can't wait to watch this one on Judge Judy.

3. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

And as far as we know this case has NOTHING to do with that.

4. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll go as far as to say that Robotech circa 1980s was cool. And to me is still cool. However, anything after that........

Like I said....I'd rather watch Twilight.

I'm sure if HG allowed Macross stuff to come over, things would be so different. Even with the animation.

Actually, HG being bastards in the fans' eyes has EVERYTHING to do with it. Their bastardness encompasses a broad range of topics. This whole Jetfire escapade is but one.

Sorry, they're planning on airing it on The People's Court.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Guys, as much as we love a good debate, please keep the trolling and namecalling off of your posts.

6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    They own merchandise rights to Macross outside of Japan which includes toys, comics and games. However they CANNOT use any likenesses to Macross designs in new movies, cartoons et al.

7. guard convoy

News Credits:
    I'd be more forgiving if they weren't such dicks, because robotech has its fans, as it should, but harmony gold has done EVERYTHING IT CAN to destroy robotech and prevents anything macross coming out, and this stunt is just another in a long list of them trying to protect their "intellectual property" and just further proof someone needs to take them DOWN

I'd rather have my eyes gouged out and eaten by a rabid badger than watch anything harmony gold has released since the 80's

8. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Like I said at HISSTANK, the only point of contention that may be argued upon on court is the FAST pack similarities which are based on the G1 Jetfire toy which itself was made from a Super Valkyrie. HOWEVER I think Hasbro has enough money and power to merely countersue HG for even wasting their time leading to HG going into bankruptcy subsequently leaving them open to a buyout which Hasbro could then do and in doing so obtaining rights not only to Macross toys outside of Japan but also basically owning Robotech. Did HG pass up opportunities to make a live action robot movie? Yep. Would Hasbro? Doubtful.

9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Wow, that's just..so..so silly! So even in places like Asia they have rights to Macross? I don't think they're as strict as they are in the US though, since stores here seem to be able to sell Bandai/Yamato Macross merchandise without a problem.

Oh it'd be awesome if something like this happened. Such a waste not being able to put out Macross stuff in the US. Just wondering though, does your previous post's case apply to the other Robotech series merchandise like Southern Cross and Mospeada?

10. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    please....oh please...............someone....let this happen.

11. guard convoy

News Credits:
    my pants would explode at this happening

12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Yea they do have the rights but I think in Asia it's harder to enforce since the factories that Arcadia and Bandai use are not always in Japan.

I'm not sure if HG has global distro/merchandise rights for SC/Mospeada but I believe they do. Aoshima and Beagle were able to bring their Ride Armors over but that was trough Toynami who had a license from HG, and Beagle worked with Toynami to make Robotech exclusive Ride Armor heads.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey guys, remember when HG went after Mechwarrior Online a couple years ago, and how that went spectacularly for them?

Mechwarrior 5 Runs Into Legal Trouble

I swear, Harmony Gold is just three lawyers in an office at this point, isn't it?

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Ah I see, thanks for the info. I had no idea how messed up the HG Robotech license was. I presume why they have no rights to use the Macross designs in movies/cartoons etc is because they pissed off Bandai for some reason?

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes, it seems like the sole purpose of the company nowadays is to pursue legal action on other companies.

16. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

they also have that hack tommy yune who is "mastermind" behind the abomination that will be robotech X voltron crossover......ugh.

17. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    No prob. As for not being able to use the designs in future media tie ins, I'm not sure of the exact reasoning of how that came to be. I can only presume that Big West was thinking "alright, you got our Macross product rights outside of Japan on a technicality due to some vague agreement made several years ago with Tatsunoko, we'll be damned if we let you make any more money off stuff we own".

It's karma though. HG can't use anything beyond SDF Macross in Japan for Robotech. So no YF-19's et al.

18. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    and the mastermind behind the crap they've released since the original series....no?

19. MachSabre

MachSabre Blackmarket T-Cog Dealer

20. stormbringer251

stormbringer251 Well-Known Member

How exactly does Harmony Gold still exist? I mean, they haven't really produced much of anything in forever have they?