Happy MTMTE stories

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nathanoraptor, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

To commemorate the unnoficial "end" of MTMTE (and its relaunch as Lost Light), I want to tell you a story.

One day, I gave my mother a MTMTE trade (Volume 7; the one containing Elegant Chaos), in the hope that I could finally find something we could bond over, since she refuses to partake in any of my nerdy interests. I left it in the room with her and asked her to read it. I promised her it was powerful stuff.

I was worried she’d put it down or not read it, but no; she was sitting, book in hand, on the page where Brainstorm tells Rewind about Quark, and she was crying – actually, legitmately, tears-streaming-down-her-face crying. We talked about it afterwards – she’d apparently teared up several times reading it; when Trailcutter is killed by Kaon, Dominus being lobotomised by the Functionist Council, the story on how Whirl got empurata’d, and Megatron losing Terminus (the last one has particular relevance, because this was shortly after her own father had died). Brainstorm going back in time to save the one ‘bot he ever loved was the icing on the cake – she’d just burst into tears.

She’d felt a whole range of other emotions reading it too. Apparently, when Trepan was “needling” Megatron or Bluestreak and Mainframe refused to help Vos, she stated that she’d never been genuinely appalled at the actions of a fictional character until that moment. We can actually have little discussions about MTMTE now. My mum is a very compassionate person, I should point out – we actually talked about whether or not she, if she’d been in Trailcutter’s situation, would have helped Vos and she said, unwaveringly, “Yes”. When asked why, she said “Because it would be the right thing to do. It doesn’t matter who someone is – if you can save someone, you should”.

After she wanted to know what had happened to Brainstorm, I showed her the next trade; in particular the issue that detailed his trial – she actually smiled when she found out that Brainstorm would be allowed to stay on the Lost Light. She also really liked the Necrobot story – she was raised Catholic and is still a deeply religious person.

After that, she asked who Drift was (she hadn’t read the earlier issues by that point), what Chromedome meant by the “other” Rewind, why Megatron was now an Autobot etc., I showed her the earlier trades and the trades for RID/notRID and Windblade (I collect them pretty obsessively). She loved every single one of them. She even showed it to the rest of our family. Her favourite MTMTE character, by the way, is Whirl (her greatest hope for the future of MTMTE is that Whirl gains some sort of peace of mind – he deserves it), followed closely by Chromedome, Tailgate, Rewind and Cyclonus. My dad is a fan of Nightbeat, whilst my sister prefers Nautica.

We’re all MTMTE fans in my family now – even my 80-year old grandmother reads it! It’s truly brought us together – we’re sad for Chromedome together, we despise Pharma together, we anticipate what lies ahead for Tailgate together. My dad has commented that, if my sister or any of my female cousins met someone who treated them the same way Getaway treated Tailgate (without the framing Megatron part, obviously), he’d castrate him on the spot. We haven’t got to Dying of The Light yet (and I don’t want to spoil anything for them) – we only read the trades and we haven't bought volume 10, but I’m willing to bet it’ll be a smash hit.

May Rodimus and company have many happy adventures! (Except for Getaway. I hope he dies. Horribly).

Any happy stories about you and MTMTE?

• Like Like x 14
  2. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Wonderful story :)  :)  :) 

3. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

I'll share this story again, in the spirit of celebrating the good MtMtE did for some of us. The series started after I had come out of the closet to my friends. They were the first ones I did that with, and I met my bf shortly thereafter. I was still having fits about coming out to my family though. MtMtE's Chromedome/Rewind relationship really helped in that regard. Here was this comic I liked about a franchise I had loved for most of my life. And there was a gay couple in it. A first for the franchise! And they weren't camp, or otherwise stereotypical in how they were depicted. It was just presented as a normal (we as normal as you can get with the Lost Light crew) romantic relationship, no different than any other.
    The fact that Rewind was an archivist and Chromedome a surgeon while I was starting my MA in history and my bf was in med school helped too, by allowing me a means to sort of project our relationship onto it.
    It's weird, and maybe even sad, but this comic about plastic robot mans helped me come to terms with myself, and helped convince me that what I was and what I was doing was ok, right, and good. It helped me through a turbulent time in my life, and helped me gather the courage to come out about who I was to my family. I'll always hold it as a book and James Roberts as an author in high regard because of that.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best I've got was talking someone a little bit younger than me through the different Transformers comics about a year ago. While I know he made a purchase, maybe my recommendation of MTMTE gave him a good story.
    Or maybe he bought a movie adaption in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That is a nice story Nathanoraptor.

6. Nathanoraptor

What was your favourite part?

Also, here's some more information about my family and MTMTE (and the other TF comics):
    1. My grandmother stated, if she were Chromedome in the slow cell, she'd have put a gun in between Overlord's eyes and shot him in the head, without flinching. The reason why? "Some people, because of every horrible thing they've done, simply don't deserve to live; the sooner you put a bullet in their skulls, the better, because the world's better off without them."
    2. When my dad read RID, he agreed with Prowl on the attitude he held towards NAILs. The reason why? He's a member (and quite vociferous campaigner) of Help for Heroes; the idea of soldiers being treated disrespectfully for their sacrifices gets him angry, even in fiction. He also found Metalhawk a "smug, disrespectful bastard".
    3. My sister, who's a bit of a romantic at heart, liked the idea of Tigatron and Airazor's forbidden love. She also apparently got mad when Firestar was being mean to Nautica; her best friend is kind of Nautica-like and she's very protective of her.
    4. When reading Dying of The Light Part 3, when Kaon worries about the Pet and gets murdered for it, my dad actually felt sad for Kaon; we have two dogs and that's how we'd react if something happened to them.
    5. My mum apparently got furious when she read about Krok, Crankcase and Spinister voting to sell Grimlock. She was appalled; they were basically pawning someone who was completely dependent on them to a stranger for money. She is a very compassionate person, I should point out; she actually gets angry whenever someone in MTMTE calls Whirl "nutjob". Whirl is her favourite character, I should point out.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Your family is adorable altho I worry a bit about mum

• Like Like x 1
  8. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

This is great stuff :) 

9. Nathanoraptor

Why?

10. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    This is entertaining stuff!

I'd love to here more. :) 

How much of the Phase 2 comics have they read?

11. Nathanoraptor

None at the moment; we only read the trades.

What was your favourite part of what I shared?

12. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    I liked it all. I mean you got your entire family into this, that's something. My family wouldn't give this stuff the time of day.

I agree with your Mom, Whirl is my favorite character. Only I enjoy his unhinged nature, I think he's hilarious!

13. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

I haven't tried to get my mother into MTMTE - I only have digital comics and she's not computer literate at all. I have no trouble showing her, but I know she wouldn't enjoy reading a comic on anything digital. She became a HUGE fan of Beast Wars, though, loved it much more than any of the Transformers things (I think it was the fact they were all animals to her). You're very lucky to have an entire family that is as into this as you are. Sadly, I have no friends who are TF fans so I can only talk about my geeky love to you guys XD

• Like Like x 1
  14. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    I have question to ask,

What does each of your family members think of the DJD?

15. Nathanoraptor

Suffice to say, I explained the DJD to my grandmother and she went rigid; she was born in 1936. She grew up hearing about another group of people who were employed by a brutal regime and went about torturing people who didn't conform to their ideals. I think you can guess who I refer to.

I think the DJD disturb everyone who read about them; my father included. My dad's ex-MOD and is deeply interested in military history; he's read about plenty of dictators who've employed people like the DJD to do their dirty work. Most of my other family members were just creeped out by them, but my dad almost had a chill down his spine when I explained them to him; he's read a lot of military and political history to know that the whole concept of the DJD may be based on reality.

16. omagaprime

omagaprime Well-Known Member

I've been trying to get my wife to read some mtmte. Especially the one where Fort Max goes on his shooting spree. Alot of emotional depth in these stories.

17. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I love this story. I wish my family could share my love of the stories but they just think I'm 'weird'. :( 

Your Gran is badass! Don't mess with her lol

18. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM I'm a Colossal boi

News Credits:
    Google+:
    I love your grandma

19. Nathanoraptor

She's a fun, crazy lady.