Halloween Special one-shot

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bass X0, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    This could be interesting.

Edit: I hadn't read the solicitation for this issue, so it was new to me when I saw it advertised at the back of King Grimlock #2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

Scheduled for Sep 29th?

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
  4. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just read it and loved it. Favorite character in the spotlight with some background :)  The ending was just so Starscream :ev:  That's as far as I'll say for the ending to avoid spoilers

• Like Like x 4
  5. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    The concept of a Transformer being trapped in an organic body is a really interesting one.

• Like Like x 4
  6. axiant

axiant Autobot paper pusher!

What Starscream is really like.

So far I'm liking what this Starscream is really like.

Oh and Cryak
    telling stories of genocided and murder to a young Starscream is really sick. Maybe she was always kinda twisted and being a "disembodied spark" made her worse

Poor Starscream having to face what his mentor was really like and he was actually willing to save her at first.

Really nice one-shot. 4 stars.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, but now she must suffer a fate worse than death.

8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    So while I find the name for the story to be rather clunky, and the reference made me roll my eyes more than anything... I enjoyed the story.

There's some genuinely unsettling dialogue choices and concepts here, Dan Watters? Well done mate.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dzoi

Dzoi New Member

The much-needed Spotlight: Starscream! His depiction is somewhat different from ongoing but in a good way. It added more depth to his character beyond egotistical power-hungry perpetually-running-fifty-schemes-at-once soon-to-be backstabber. I really like the premise of Starscream landing in trouble with
    some non-Decepticon/Autobot related entity
    and this story delivers it quite well.

The cover creeped me out a lot more afterwards. The description for that was grotesquely vivid and the panel art complimented the writing well. I was genuinely
    grossed out at being in an organic body

I can't believe I never thought about what kind of bot raised Starscream.

Considering that because of Cryak he's accustomed to traversing difficult terrains and has extensive experience in exploration, I wonder if the "Fire in the Sky" backstory is something that might happen.

I didn't really get the ending though, mainly Cryak's last monologue.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Feloniicharges

Feloniicharges Well-Known Member

Just finished this, great one shot the notion of a non organic body horror story I found really interesting and a great fresh take.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Marvelboy1974

Marvelboy1974 Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed this one shot! Loved the way Starscream was portrayed. My favorite TF!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I liked it a lot! Only part I kind of cringed at was when Cryak was like "Ohoho, that's right, I'M narrating this." Otherwise it was cool to really get into the differences between Transformers and organics, while also noting the similarities between them and humanoid primates, and in turn using that to inform Cryak's, and in turn Starscream's, characters.

It's also just an interesting story that takes things that are universally human and with a change of perspective turns our mental and physical faculties into these horrific things. Transformers always had that opportunity to shift how we get to look at and interpret lifeforms, and might have dabbled with the idea in some throwaway lines before, but I think this is the first time we've really gotten into it, and I'm all about that nasty bad shit. I'm not sure whether the narration made it "scarier" or more effective or not. Maybe it did, but the way the opening narration was framed maybe it wasn't needed for the entire book. It puts the reader with someone, like Cryak, instead of just leaving us by ourselves to witness this happen to Starscream. This might have actually made the audience feel safer than they would have been otherwise, but I know these aren't universal rules to horror or tense storytelling.

At the same time, some of that narration is juicy as hell in articulating the horror of what's happening to Starscream, so I 'unno.

EDIT: REVERSE BODY HORROR! That's what this can be called. That's so neat, if anyone knows about any stories with a similar concept please share.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Literally TFA Blackarachnia and Sari Sumdac. The former was forcibly mutated into a techno-organic against her will, and is slowly going mad as a result, the latter is a Transformer who was raised believing they were a normal human.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    They had no real issue with being techno-organic tbh. Not fundamentally at least. Blackarachnia maybe a bit at first, but the body-horror aspect wasn't really examined in that show the way it is here.

• Like Like x 3
  15. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

God this comic went hard on the horror and I'm shocked that it did. The art really escalate the tension and the horrible what ifs and cosmic hell that the series sets up.

The expressions on the poor creatures face really give you the feeling it's the worst feeling.

• Like Like x 3
  16. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I liked the story, but not the 12 pages of ads.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Slightly bummed at this because about ten years back I wrote a story where there's an energon accident and Starscream's mind ends up in a human body and he has to track down his robot form (sat in jet mode in an aircraft graveyard). He learns a lot about being human, mostly that it's gross. He eventually finds and steals the jet and manages to fly it away, but then crashes because his human body can't deal with the flight manoeuvres he used to perform as a robot. At which point the jet suddenly transforms and the twist is that Starscream's mind wasn't actually transferred to the human body, but duplicated to it instead, and the robot Starscream had gone into involuntary stasis from the shock to his spark. The story ends with robot Starscream, disgusted to discover a filthy human sat leaking various fluids all over the inside of his cockpit, squishing the terrified human Starscream under his huge metal foot.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Please tell me human Starscream was based on Q from Star Trek.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Wasn't. But now you suggest it... :) 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    On the contrary, Blackarachnia despised being Techno-Organic, and her entire character was warped around the idea of somehow, someway, understanding her current form and trying to find a way to reverse it. True, the show writers may not have focused on the body horror that much, outside of the brief transformation scene when Elita is bitten by the Aracha VII spiders, but then again it is a children's show, and body horror might not be the best thing to expose a 10 year old to.