Gundan Seed VS Gundam 00 (Anime)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Numlock, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Hey TFW2005, I'm curious if there are any Gundam gurus out there...

I'm debating getting a Gundam Series (anime), and once inquired here about how Gundam Seed is... and told it's quite good...

Now, unfortunately I never got around to it while it was still new... it's in que, maybe for the holiday... but then stop... I hear there is a new series called Gundam 00. And that it too... is good.

The only reference I heard about it was that Seed was like Mobile Suit and 00 is like Wing... so I'm not quite sure what that makes it... they're too long series to watch both I can't invest in both...

S anyone who knows anything... I ask you for a moment of your time to enlighten me and persuade me towards one series or the other...

Thanks!

2. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Seed Destiny but Seed itself is basically the UC retold with shiny new suits in a different timeline where the main character is still the whiny teen stereotype. The first half of it is pretty much entirely skippable but the second half is really when Seed starts to pull through in terms of story telling and character development and what not.

00 is only like Wing in the fact that it features a small group of gundam pilots with specialized suits aiming to change the world, thats where the differences end. Ok well Setsuna is the stone cold badass kinda like Heero was but without the suicidal tendencies and Allelujah's character design kinda reminds me of Trowa now that i think about it but still. 00 is alot more serious in tone than Wing or even Seed. It is a very very pretty series and moves much more quickly than Seed. 00 is still airing in Japan but the first season's gonna be on Sci-Fi sometime in Nov.

For the tl;dr version: Watch 00

3. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

As much as SEED was decent, avoid SEED Destiny like the plague.

Do me a favor and check out Gundam 00 when it hits DVD. From what I've seen so far of the series, it's that good.

In short: Gundam 00 > Gundam SEED

4. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I concur that with the little bit of Gundam OO seen, it's very good. And with me being a SEED die-hard, I can say that OO could topple to greatness that is SEED.

Though... I only really like the Gundam designs. The "cannon fodder" is something I haven't warmed up to yet... The Enact and Flag were exact copies and anorexic, and the Tieren is just lumbering mass of metal around the battlefield. Zaku's, they are not.

Then again, I'm gaining some interests in the Ahead... especially the "Mr. Bushido" variation. :p 

For me, they're tied right now.

And as for the Destiny comment, yeah... it was a mess of reusing loads of stock images, but the story was awesome.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    SEED was....watchable, havint seen 00 but I hear good things.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa! I haven't watched the complete season of Seed and Seed D. but looks like I have to pick up 00 from what you guys posted!

7. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Between the two 00 is the better of them. Seed is good and neat retelling of the orginal gundam. But Destiny was horrible.

Where 00 is back to the politics and cahricters of the orginal Gundam. So I would suggest 00 which will air on SCIfi nov 24(part of anime monday).

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    From having watched most of these (gave up on Destiny):

SEED: Okay at the beginning, Kira's angst drags things down part way especially when they get to Earth. Mid series drags horribly, then it picks up in the last 15 and is excellent.

SEED Destiny: Pretty horrible, angst all round, and the way things get more dramatic after a while is to introduce a more powerful mobile suit. You end up with rediculously overpowered mecha like Strike Freedom who take out dozens of enemies without any trouble in a very short space of time. It also recycled and sexed up some of the scenes from Gundam SEED i.e. two enemy pilots end up marooned on an island together, except this time, she's also half naked.

00: I'm a bit biased since I love this series. It is a lot like Wing, you have various factions at political loggerheads with the Gundams in the middle fighting all of them. The Gundams are near on super robots, but with certain limits (as a contrast, the "Heavy Arms" of the series, Dynames, is very weak in close combat where Trowa could throw his Gundam into the thick of things without concern). The show is quite episodic early on mainly focusing on the characters themselves instead with the main plot only coming to the fore in the latter 12 or so episodes. The final episode has one of my most "WTF" moments in the whole show too, like they forgot one guy and quickly threw him in to give some closure to him.

00 Season 2 - so far so good, it is escalating the plot from the first series, there's more ongoing story though at the same time, it is still focusing more on the cast in these early episodes.

Both 00 seasons have a very generous mecha battle quotient, but both seasons also do more with the characters and focus on them a lot. There's more development in most of the cast than in either of the SEED series, which I prefer.

9. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

To echo alot of what has already been said, SEED has it's enjoyable bits (mostly the second and last quarters of the show...the desert arc and the last arc are really the best imo). SEED Destiny is an unmitigated trainwreck. Entertaining as hell, even as it is falling apart, but not good in any sense of the word.

00 Season 1 was very solid, being interesting, entertaining, and well paced (save for the last episode or two where a bit too much happens at once, but that's to be expected). 00 Season 2 has been just as solid as the first season so far, and seems to be building up nicely, but as with alot of shows how everything plays out could either make the series as a whole better or worse, so you may want to wait until Season 2 finishes airing.

I wish more shows were available over here to buy, but eventhough they are not I would recommend tracking down Gundam X as it's a shorter series (39 eps) and an interesting take on Gundam. I also always recommend getting the original movie trilogy as well as the Zeta box sets, but you have to be able to look past the older animation (or enjoy it), and you have to like Tomino's style in general. The original series is good too, but I usually recommend the movies because they're easier to track down, cheaper, and the new animation in them makes them worth having even if you do end up picking up the original.

There are also some of the UC side stories out there, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket and Stardust Memories. All are pretty good, short, and 08th MS Team is an especially pretty looking series (plus it has some pretty damn cool grunt style ground combat, well, as much as can be expected when some of the grunts are actually Gundam units). There are also the UC movies, Char's Counterattack and F91. F91 gets a bad rap but I liked it alot, and it can be enjoyed without seeing any of the prior UC stuff. Char's Counterattack is great, but you'd be completely lost without having seen at least the original and Zeta.

G Gundam is great, but it's really a super robot show, so if that's not your thing steer clear. Turn A isn't available to buy, but can be found in other ways, and is a good show but takes a while to get going. ZZ is the same, although the first half is really wacky, but towards the end it starts to really pick up. Problem with ZZ is it picks up exactly where Zeta left off, so it's not exactly a standalone series.

Overall, I've got to say outside of SEED Destiny you can't really go too wrong with any of the gundam that's out there, even if every show doesn't fit everyone's taste (I personally have a dislike for Wing, but that doesn't mean you won't like it). The great thing is pretty much everything besides 00 that's available to buy can be had in fairly inexpensive box set form.

10. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Pretty much what everyone has said. 00 is fecking awesome :D 

11. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Well, this is weird... I liked SEED Destiny and it's story. It's the action that always kept me coming back for more. :D 

12. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And if you are an American who gets SciFi 00 will be on SciFi in November.

13. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Thanks for your replies all!

Well that's high enthusiasm, I feel sold on 00... now the only debate is do I try to watch it on Sci-Fi, or try to own the series after it wraps up and watch at my own pace? Mondays on SciFi is tough... I sadly missed the beginning of Gurren Lagann (first 7 eps)... now I have to wait for that to come around... most Anime I find it just so hard to keep up with if you miss any episodes... watching all Death Note (for example) was like a second job (though awesomely enjoyable!)

Glad to know there are some Anime fans among this board... and yeh, I've seen the older series, Stardust, 08th, and War in the Pocket... but not in a long long time (back when Adult Swim still played anime and didn't sell out to flash comedy crap... get back to your roots [AS]!)

Last question... English Dub quality? Good... bad... acceptable...?

Anyway, THANKS. I'll keep the wallet closed on Seed for now and eagerly await 00... and some MG Gundam kits from the series... not that I ever finish any of them.

14. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

for 00? It's not even out on DVD yet so no idea really.

Oh and i'd either go for DVD or somehow record it off SciFi if you cant catch it constantly cause Sci-Fi isn't reairing things like AS does they just keep on trucking to new shows (at least as far as the schedule on scifi's website shows until Dec it's gonna be Gundam and Descendants of Darkness).

15. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

hm... you are correct, it's not in English yet... and yes, I've noticed Sci-Fi showing shows twice is very difficult to find... Black Lagoon was on recently (though that might be Stars Edge, I forget) and it was tough to find missing episodes...

Well, I guess then let me rephrase that question, how was SEEDs English dub?

One further question too I guess... you guys seem knowledgeable with Anime... what sites are you into, what forums, reviews, etc. do you check out? I'm always looking for new stuff... I've like forty series lined up I want to watch, and there's probably more I'd like if I can find the time. Where do you learn about what's going down and talk about it?

Thanks!

16. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

The dub in SEED is decent. And for info, summaries and reviews, check out ANN which I frequently check out.

17. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I've found that pretty much every Gundam dub so far was decent. Some people hate them, but it's that way with pretty much all dubs. None of them were really bad, although some have their issues. The 00 cast should be decent as it shares alot of voice actors with Seed and the 0079 dub, both of which were good.

As for where I go to learn about stuff, as Belgrath said, ANN is a good place to get alot of info. I also check out MAHQ as well as the dreaded 4chan (mostly for the mecha board).