Gundam

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by sawwheeler, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Soundlips

Soundlips Defending Reactivate since 2020 loves Tinfoil Hats

News Credits:
    So while browsing for my RX-78-2, I came across a blue base variant of it. Is there a story behind the repaint, or is it just a cool deco.

2. Soundlips

News Credits:
    Goddamn, just finished OG Gundam. That... was unexpected. Don't think I've watched an ending like that in a long while since the RED Wedding.
    Goddamn, they just fucking dismembered Gundam. Unexpected, but I like it. They also went full Red Wedding on the White Base and pretty much the rest of the characters. Goddamn, I was not expecting both Zeon commanders to get fucking head-shottted and the main melted by the sun

Really didn't give a shit or like Char at the beginning, but I did like his character arc over the series. Also, I am really not digging the whole new type stuff. I like the first part of this series where it was more realistic by having Gundams win by better technology or just sheer luck. I really fucking don't like how two pilots can just fucking Matrix each other and go on a 100 plus kill streak and know each and every move before it happens. Just give me cool fucking mechs fighting normally.

For those Nay Sayers, I highly recommend the OG. The opening scenes are literally a bunch of innocent people getting murdered, and that pretty much accurately sets the tone for the rest of the series.

Now onto the OG movie Trilogy, while I wait for my RX-78-2 to arrive.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Yeah about the Newtypes, in the context of how they affect MS combat, I won't argue against the complaint. Personally I'm fine with them, but ultimately it's just different taste. Some like precognitive, "Jedi" reflexes, some don't, regardless of how good the lore for it is. They permeate the main story line due to their significance off the battlefield but fortunately several of the side story spinoff shows downplay or lack them entirely for those who prefer Oldtype combat.

As for how they're depicted outside the battlefield, it's no secret that they really came out of left field and weren't explained well in the original show because it was actually cancelled. Tomino had a 52-episode plan, including expanding on them, but got cut down to 39 initially upon cancellation. IIRC I once read that the staff actually did dogeza to get the extra three episodes to bump it to 42. Ultimately later shows do elaborate on Newtypes much better though.

You know, I really don't remember the 0079 compilation movie trilogy very well. I've only seen it once while I've seen the show a few times. I think there were some changes I liked but I generally prefer the show, although I believe the movie trilogy is the canon version of the story.

(very minor, honestly unimportant, music spoiler)
    I mainly remember that Amuro and Char's duel at Jaburo was a downgrade in the movie because they replaced Char's theme with a different track when it was IMO the best use of his theme in the show

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  4. Soundlips

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was my other problem with them was how much it came out of the left field. Especially since prior it was more militaristic based on somewhat mostly believable stuff. That was just like ok, what the fuck. Why is there just a jedi space hippie that is somehow better in war than both Char and the Gundam at the time.

I mean, I get the point they are trying to make, they want the perfect soldier, and a lot of series have done some sort of variation of this, so I am used to the strangeness of it. But primarily it was just unexpected how hard they went into all of a sudden and for no reason.

5. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    If it's what I think it is, that blue on white Version 3.0 is the Gundam Base store exclusive. I got one through the P.Bandai store during the last Gundam Expo because I liked the 3.0 so much and it's the closest to a G3* variant we're going to see.

Fun fact, I tricked a lot of people into thinking my 3.0 model was the Real G statue.

real_g_by_generalmechanics_d6znd4s-pre.jpg

* = The G3 is another RX-78 prototype. You'll notice the OG Gundam's model number is RX-78-2. So you'll understand there are other RX-78 models before and after it that each tested different features. The G3 is not seen in the anime but it was the testbed model for the midseries upgrade to Amuro's Gundam. Because such "upgrades" weren't too different from the original design, you can't tell but the Version 3.0 model features different joint caps; the traditional open sprocket and these closed covers like I used. These are for the "Magnetic Coating" which increases the Gundam's reaction time to match Amuro's heightened Newtype reflexes.

In the novel adaptation of the original UC0079 series, the G3 replaces the original RX-78-2 for the final half of the story.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    You mean this one?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Soundlips

News Credits:
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Yeah, as it's plastered all over the MS (this is a picture of the one I own and built), this is nominally an excusive variant of the RX-78-2 MG 3.0, but the deco is purely for aesthetics. I got this one during the online Gunpla Expo, which is coming up again on the P-Bandai website.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    The Newtype concept is definitely a sticking point for a lot of people, and whether you're for it or against it seems like the number one dividing point within the Gundam fandom. I will say that it's a lot more philosophical and symbolic than just "the perfect soldier." The following shows, especially Zeta and Unicorn, will expand on the Newtype idea in very interesting - and very divisive - ways.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soundlips

News Credits:
    1668020101000.jpg

Gundam Rage meme for y'all.

Also, is there a Gundam meme section?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
  12. Soundlips

News Credits:
    About halfway through The Origin. Was binge watching a few episodes before I realized I went halfway though the series. Char was not someone I liked at first, but his character got more interesting as time went on.

• Like Like x 2
  13. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I watched the first three movies on Netflix and also Chaar’s Counterattack ... decided to give Zeta and ZZ a spin.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Suntzu28

Suntzu28 Well-Known Member

Tangentially related to the subject but...Armored Trooper Votoms produced one of my favorite songs of all time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):

• Like Like x 1
  17. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Best female protagonist of each decade.
    70’s Sayla

80’s Chris

90’s Allenby

00’s Lacus

10’s Lafter

20’s Suletta
    https://youtu.be/maWaJEYO-xM

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  18. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    I'm surprised the statue of Nu Gundam or the RX-78F00 didn't join the fun.

20. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can only think of two theories:

1. The short film was completed before the Walking Gundam and Nu Gundam statues were completed.
    2. The producers wanted to appease the SEED fans and Chinese Gundam fans.

• Like Like x 1