Gundam

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by sawwheeler, Jun 5, 2014.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    As long as Tomino isn't involved in production of the adaptation to rewrite the ending ala A New Translation.

2. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

In his defense, his revised ending was all about overcoming the depression he suffered during Zeta, and he already did a non-canon happier ending for Quess and Hathaway in his Evolve film set during Char's Counterattack.

We already saw Hideaki Anno have his "come to terms with himself" moment with his ending to the Rebuild of Evangelion films, I don't think Tomino will do it again on this one. Even if he were involved outside of his executive position and being the novel's writer.
    I just don't see it happening. Part of the Universal Century's appeal to me is that it's not always the ending you want, and not everyone gets a happy ending. The story is about facing the consequences, and how the survivors carry on afterwards.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's bullshit on his part. What if Vincent van Gogh had somehow found treatment and medication in 1880s France and painted over all the famous works he had produced while he was depressed? I mean, it would've been great if he'd found help, but don't fuck up the art. Not all great art is born from pain, but that which is cannot survive its removal. As proven by A New Translation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hadlen_Weltall

That's a good thought provoking statement, but I don't think it's the right one. Access to medication, let alone being medicated at all, at the time of a work's creation isn't a factor on this.
    I still think it's a matter of perspective over time, Zeta was made at a difficult time in his life that led to a number of somewhat depressing endings: Ideon, Dunbine, and Char's Counterattack to name a few. Given a few years to look back on these decisions and how he's grown as a person and writer, he offers A New Translation. He's not rewriting the original story, he just gives us a new perspective where the Zeta films don't erase the Zeta anime series. It's his way of coming to terms with his original ending having grown out of the "KILL'EM ALL!" phase.

Take his own words for instance:

Screenshot_20210903-101619.jpg

We can rip on this chapter of the franchise all we want, but it's literally his way of letting go of all the angst and depression he's gone through.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It also led to what many consider the pinnacle of the entire franchise. Those depressing endings are a huge part of what gave Zeta weight and meaning in a genre that more often than not goes without those things. Sometimes artists create their best work by channeling their personal suffering. Back to the van Gogh example. Meanwhile, A New Translation is pretty much no one's favorite anything and makes a lot of people's "worst of" lists. Besides being disjointed as hell, it's empty fluff compared to the original. Take a band from that era like Depeche Mode. A lot of their songs were depressing. Because that's what they honestly felt at the time. That's where their art came from. If Depeche Mode, who must now be pushing 60 years old, went back today and changed the lyrics in their classic songs to be happy and hopeful, what would you get? Absolute worthless, pointless, steaming shit.

George Lucas-ing a beloved classic, decades later when the person the creator was at that time has become an unrecognizable stranger they can no longer get in the head of has never turned out well. Not once that I can remember, anyway.

6. Gabriel Contreras

Gabriel Contreras After 5 years of lurking I finally made an account

News Credits:
    Outside of the way the overall events unfold in CCA and Beltorchika's Children would there be main differences in continuity? I figured everything was relatively the same and the differing continuity split between these 2 scripts, for lack of a better term. Beltorchika's Children led to the Hathaway’s Flash (novel) while CCA led to Hathaway (2021). Also I forget where so don’t quote me on this, but I think I read somewhere that Tomino isn’t involved directly but he is the face of it which is obvious as to why.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Just a heads up, but the OVA is also titled Hathaway's Flash. I don't know why it only says Hathaway in English, but the actual title as seen on the poster, in the movie itself, etc., is the exact same as that of the novel.

[​IMG]

8. Gabriel Contreras

Gabriel Contreras After 5 years of lurking I finally made an account

News Credits:
    Yeah I know but for the sake of clarity I’ll refer to the novel by Hathaway’s Flash and the movie as just Hathaway.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I just meant that while a lot of us are assuming the OVA follows the movie continuity (and maybe even adjusted for Unicorn), we don't really know for sure. The titles being different might have been a clue suggesting that direction, but the titles aren't really different. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    As someone who's never read Hathaway's flash, what in Unicorn contradicts it?

11. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    from what I'm told, not lore-wise. It's more of a thematic contradiction as Unicorn tried to present the opening of the box as this big hopeful event that has the potential to change the future, but fast forward to Hathaway we see the Federation being more corrupt than ever and in the end
    the last hope of change to the brutal status quo being mercilessly crushed as the Federation has Bright sign Mafty's execution order, and immediately afterwards telling him Mafty is Hathaway.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hadlen_Weltall

Nothing actually. The writer of UC's original intention was to bridge the gap of the Post NeoZeon/Federation era to the later UC100s. Why Newtypes are rendered "myth" by the time F91 begins, and why the various remnant factions of Zeon don't exist anymore around that time either.
    Literally just 30 to 40 years difference.

This is why in NT, the whole Laplace incident is just brushed aside. The opening of the box didn't change much except incite further divisions within the Federation and towards the collapse of the Zeon movement. Then of course, the Unicorn Gundams are figuratively erased from history.

There is one thing that UC sets up that actually comes to pass in F91. The colonies' right to self rule. When the Crossbone Vanguard takes the Frontier Sides, the Earth Federation literally leaves the Spacenoids to defend themselves or join the Vanguard. Even though it comes off as the Federation just abandoning them and retreating to Earth.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 X-Wing: Mercy Kill

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

15. Hadlen_Weltall

16. Robert Snoke

Robert Snoke Gundam Gusion

I'll just leave this here..........:lolol 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    it has a v-fin!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hadlen_Weltall

Does "WTF" Tony Stark not know about the Gundarium Alloy model?

That's probably why he called it a Gundam model... pfft... it's like the "It's a Transformer" flow chart of misidentified mecha.

19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  20. Hadlen_Weltall

It's more of a matter of Animation quality being so bad it hurt.
    It also seems a bit out of place, being too early, in the story considering the later episodes that focused on Amuro's interaction with sympathetic Zeon soldiers.
    ...which happen four episodes later.