Gundam Universe Figures Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gundam Universe Barbatos Lupus 'Rex' was given yellow claws (at least mine was).(unless I'm misunderstanding something here).

But this is new Gundam Universe figure is 'Barbatos Lupus' (minus the 'Rex' part) before it's final upgrade. I can't remember if it had yellow claws in the anime, though (as I've mentioned earlier, I'd actually forgotten about it), but I've seen a few pics of it with white claws.

Personally, I'm not too bothered in this case. The 'white' claws will contrast with those of the final 'Rex' version's yellow ones.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Fair enough, though the claws in that case actually are still wrong on Barbatos Lupus because they're not full claws. They're just covers on the fingers,

[​IMG]

while the Rex's claws are far thicker in comparison and look closer to the shape on the Universe figure of Lupus.

[​IMG]

I will fully admit that I never did appreciate the sheer difference in details between the two, such as the entire upper body right down to the addition of mid-shin vents on Rex.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    upload_2024-5-1_3-23-46.png

upload_2024-5-1_3-24-39.png

From what I can tell, Lupus Rex has full size claws while 'regular' Lupus kind of reminds me of a guy wearing nail extensions (I'm getting a mental image of someone breaking out the nail polish) . It's like they were gradually, bit by bit, having Barbatos go werewolf mode over the series, imo (complete with an actual tail in the end. I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd given it fangs. Maybe they could have a four-legged 'wolf' Barbatos at some point).. .

We probably should probably consider ourselves lucky this isn't the early days of Gundam Universe when they might have just given him regular hands and called it a day.

EDIT: I just took another at the Gundam Universe Lupus. Nope, those things are definitely claws...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Barbatos Lupus does merely have claws over his normal hands. The hands themselves are not enlarged or redesigned, it really does have "fake nails." They're normal Gundam Frame hands, otherwise. The intro for season 2 even demonstrates it in the scene where Mika's hand is replaced with the Barbatos', then just the Gundam Frame's, and then his own again.

Lupus Rex is where he gets the bigger hands with the more pronounced built-in claws. The 1/100 Barbatos Lupus posted above is still inaccurate, as that simply has the tips of the finger painted, whereas the actual MS has add-ons for his claws:

upload_2024-4-30_22-56-50.png

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's pretty much the regular version of Lupus.. In which case, the Gundam Universe figure's claws might actually be considered too long, imo (compared to the pic above) .. I've never seen 'nail extensions' like those...Those things mean business..

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

The Strike Freedom/QANT/Unicorn wave was restocked at my Target today. Kinda impressive that the whole wave managed to move, especially since, as mentioned before, it's kinda as boring a wave as possible (being a straight repaint and two figures that are just upgraded to protag units that have already been out for a while).

7. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    They were instant preorders for me. I've always been a fan of Strike Freedom (though I wish they'd give us the Justices as well), the QANT looks good alongside Exia and Gundam OO, imo, and just about every version of Unicorn I have, from MGs to Robot Damashii, is the red psychoframe version, so I decided to get a green 'Awakened' Gundam Universe version for a bit of variety (I didn't get the regular Gundam Universe Unicorn or Banshee (I kind of regret not getting the latter, but at the time I wasn't really that much into Gundam Universe - I did order Banshee Norn later, though) ) .

I

8. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Every time this thread gets bumped I keep hoping the Epyon or Zaku II got revealed.

• Like Like x 2
  10. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Would these work?

Let's see your Gundams

The 4th Party Transformers and 3rd Party Gundam Thread

Gundam

I'm looking forward to them announcing Tallgeese III EW.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lord of Lard

Lord of Lard Hydrogenated TFW2005 Supporter

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    They've done the first two. The third should turn up at some point, considering it's basically a recolour with a bit of remolding.

I was waiting around for Tallgeese III myself, because it's my favourite version of the three..

13. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Just rename the line Tallgeese Universe :lol 

14. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

That's cool and all, and glad that they worked for you, but doesn't change the fact it's objectively about as derivative a wave as possible. Not only is SF already a derivative unit, it's essentially being repacked in a future line. Unicorn is, I believe, the only redeco in the whole line thus far barring exclusives. And the QAN[T] is the third figure we've gotten from that very specific lineage. A nice lineage, sure (I've already talked at length about how much I like the figure despite finding the line underwhelming in general), but it's not a bold choice.

And all of them are fairly standard protag suits with only the QAN's loadout being at all notable, since it has bits on its shield.

15. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    They're probably going through the protagonist mecha since they're more likely to sell. (and they've got a few series to go through). If people keep buying them, it should hopefully encourage them to get a bit more adventurous.

For now, I'm settling for them releasing certain groups of the more prominent main mecha .. Other than that, I'm going with the ones I like the look of..