Gundam Universe Figures Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Duke spino

Duke spino Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'd say depends on how hard they're willing to try. I could see them retooling only a few parts and then just using the same mold.

And considering there's a movie starring it and phenex, i wouldn't be surprised if this mold is going to be reused. Gundam universe doesn't seem so focused on being accurate at times with some of them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was actually thinking about swapping in the Awakened Unicorn as well, but considering I didn't get the original GU 'regular' Unicorn, I guess I may leave the Armored version as it is.

3. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    If they do Sinanju Stein, I hope it's the Narrative version..

4. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's probably the only ver they would do, considering it actually made an in film appearance.

Though I'd argue the easier retool would be the prior ver, though if you ask me, just getting stein period would be good

• Like Like x 1
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Has Universe thus far retooled any moulds into suits that were entirely unique?

Because anything short of a 100% new mould would not be the Stein. That's just what the Stein is. Did they reuse Wing Gundam Parts for the Wing Zero?

6. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Fair enough. I really only have 1 mold, so I can't comment on that. I wouldn't know and would need someone else who has more molds to comment

7. Nutimus Prime

Nutimus Prime Always collecting :)

You guys discuss third party model kits in here or strictly official gundam?

8. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Neither. "Let's see your gundams" is for all model kits for the most part, though kotobukiya has its own thread, same with zoids.

Gundam universe is a retail line that sells for 25 and 40 respectively.

I'd there's gundam universe upgrades, then I guess yes. But if you're looking for model kits then the thread let's see your gundams is more your tempo

• Like Like x 1
  9. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait Full Armor Gundam Unicorn should have green accents right? How come it was red?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    To be fair the full armor Unicorn initially still had the red psychoframe until the fight against the Rozen Zulu.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They're totally going to releasea green ver later, and then a powered down unicorn with the exact same set up, mark my words

• Like Like x 1
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    And by that point it had lost pretty much everything except the shields.

The Unicorn with the full loadout of booster tanks, missiles, bazookas, and grenade launchers only ever had the red frame.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 009*

009* That Guy... Somewhere

News Credits:
    1. In case buyers missed the first Unicorn, which was red.
    2. To make buyers also buy the Awakened Unicorn figure to make an accurate set.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I wish they'd avoid the whole problem by making it a Full Armor Unicorn-Mode Unicorn.

You know, give us the mode we don't have yet. And one that definitely sees use in the Full Armor mode.

... also, only tangentially related, but I still find it entertaining that the "full armor" Unicorn doesn't have a single additional piece of armor to it (unless you count shields, but in general "full armor" suits rarely do). But I suppose Unicorn and "really nonsensical MS lore and naming" kinda go hand-in-hand (glances at the idiocy that is the Sinanju Stein).

Going back to the Strike, I really think they missed a trick by not releasing the Sword Strike. The naked Strike is boring. The rifle and shield somehow serve to make it look more incomplete. The Sword Striker wouldn't use much more plastic and would be a much more satisfying and unique release.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Alterator

Alterator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you happen to need Tallgeese II (like I do), Amazon's having a small flash sale right now - $21.20 instead of the normal $25.
    Amazon.com

16. Alterator

Alterator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I'm thinking about it - is there a comprehensive checklist out there for all of the figures? I thought I had cobbled together a list, but just last night found out about the SDCC 2023 exclusives. Thank you!

17. Soundwinder

Best resource I can find out there is the Gundam Wiki: Gundam Universe

But they don't have anything about the SDCC 2023 exclusives so they suffer from wiki-ness (and probably just the general lack of excitement the line has).

Incidentally, picked up an RX-78-2 from Ross last night. I'm not huge on the line, but $13 is cheap enough I can keep it on my desk at work and not care about it. I got the 78-3 on clearance for $8 and I deemed it a worthwhile mold, unlike the Shenlong or GP01Fb which I previously got from Ross and both of which I feel like were a waste of money.

Edit: May have spoken too soon. Don't know if it's QC or if they improved the mold for the G-3 release but the beam saber blade doesn't fit in the rifle's barrel on this one, which is a huge disappointment. Still happy with the guy, though.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Soundwinder

Double post, but this is completely unrelated to the above so I feel like separating it anyway:

Bandai needs to make a $40 Devil Gundam figure in this line. It's kinda perfect. There's a dearth of Devil Gundam merchandise out there so it'll fill a niche, with only having an MSIA figure and a No-Grade model. It's sized perfectly for that price point (I'll point out that MSIA managed to put out the Devil Gundam and Sazabi at the same price point). The mech's scale is fluid enough that it could probably work for literally any collector, HG, MG, or Universe. And they've gone shockingly heavily into the G Gundam well, and the Devil Gundam makes a fantastic companion to any of them.

I say this having just gotten the MSIA Devil Gundam, having spent somewhere between 25-60 for it (had to get several accessory lots to get it complete, though that also means I have a ton of other Transformers, Zoids, and MSIA figures and accessories in the bunch).

I don't think they need to even do as much as the MSIA did in terms of gimmickry (MSIA has three modes: Mobile Fighter, Mobile Armor where the legs turn into a Gundam head, and with the shoulder claws deployed). I think they could easily excise the shoulder claw gimmick and just have the figure looking bulky and imposing.

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Sum of Zero

The Sum of Zero Well-Known Member

Found this on Facebook. Wonder why they're doing Type-II instead of Mighty Strike Freedom, unless they plan to do the Proud Defender as an add-on?

424967552_3467562486907104_8816702479378557469_n.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    Going by Gundam Unicorn, they're probably going to make us buy both.

Though I'm also thinking that Mighty Strike Freedom will probably come with a slight modification to it's forehead (anyone who's seen Gundam Seed Freedom will know what I'm talking about) as well as the Proud Defender. (Hopefully with it's katana. They may omit the twin guns, though. That wouldn't be too surprising for the Gundam Universe line).

And to be honest, I'd be happy to get both versions.

Of course, I'd get everything to do with Gundam Seed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 1