Gundam Universe Figures Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Saw the Aerial and Tallgeese II at Target today.

They really do look great in package. If I weren't more familiar with the line I absolutely would've gotten them, but knowing that they're missing critical features/accessories they're an easy pass.

Doubly so now that the sweet allure of eventual Ross finds exists. I'd get Tallgeese at Ross prices. Aerial... probably not.

2. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the appeal of Gundam Universe for me is that I find them more robust than my Damashii figures (and the models, particularly the larger ones). I'm always worried about losing parts for those, or damaging them. They usually end up back in their boxes.

Also, I like the lower price point.. I already have a lot of other stuff on my wish list.

And I still want a Gundam Universe Red Frame Astray...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Duke spino

Duke spino Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'll say it. Gm sniper

And just grunts. More grunts, that's where they'll make their money .

Like people would love a cheap army builder for their more expensive shelves. I only bought a leo, but give me more grunts and I'd be in.

And tallgeese 3, since it's usually so expensive to obtain

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    I'm holding out for Tallgeese 3, myself. That's actually my favourite version.. I'm guessing we'll be seeing that at some point.

I agree about the grunt mecha, though I mostly prefer the Seed designs (my introduction to Gundam was Wing EW (watched the series afterwards) and Seed) .

I'd still get that military green GM Sniper, though..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Same.

I just like grunts in general, and I recall a few of the seed grunts were quite cool too.

I think all the snipers are cool. The green was a premium if i recall, so getting a retail chance at it would be cool.

6. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    I liked it well enough to get the Mastergrade version. I remember cramming a bunch of coins into the ammo barrel (?) to give it a bit of weight..

Right now, though, I think Bandai are focused on 'main character' type mecha.. There are quite a few to go through.

7. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah. Like they've got a zaku mold, and instead of giving it the obvious generic repaint, they've yet to do so miraculously.

Which is a shame, because I feel like if someone had a fav gundam main char, wouldn't they go buy a robot spirits toy?

Eh, at least we've gotten this many. Every other bandai retail figures been relegated to one shared line for everything except dragonball, so arguably gundams been given the far greater respect, and we'll probably get more grunts sooner than later

• Like Like x 1
  8. Soundwinder

So, about GM Snipers.

There's a few of them. The most notable is the teal and blue GM Sniper II from 0080 (RGM-79SP GM Sniper II). It's generally the most common one to get merch. There's a green version called the GM Sniper K-9 which comes with a backpack that turns into a hoverdog. I figure this is the best shot at getting a GM Sniper figure since it's pretty well-known and distinctive. Maybe they could make a White Dingo exclusive. I doubt it, but it's possible.

The least common is the GM Sniper Custom (RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom). It's a rare variation and hasn't really appeared in any animations or had any wide release model kits. This will literally never happen.

I assume most people are thinking about the GM Sniper from 08th MS Team (RGM-79[G] GM Sniper), which is literally just a Ground GM holding a sniper rifle. I don't see us hitting that much depth until we get the Ground GM, and I don't see us getting the Ground GM until we get the Ground Gundam.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, I was referring to the second one.

To be fair, the tallgeese 2 was a kit seemingly stricken to premium bandai, yet still very much got a gundam universe release, so I think the gm sniper custom has a small chance.

Though getting a gm sniper 2 is just as good for me. I've literally never seen the third one, and would've never seen it as a sniper like the other 2.

10. Soundwinder

Huh. Never would've guessed you meant the Custom.

I mean, P-Bandai means nothing. Keep in mind that all TV Wing MG suits except for the variants of the Wing itself were P-Bandai, which is insane. All HG Shuffle Alliance mobile fighters are P-Bandai. P-Bandai at this point just means "not the main protagonist." GU's thought process seems to mostly be "what will casual western viewers recognize and be cheap to make?"

I thought the third would be the most likely to be referenced since it's the only one to come out in the MSIA line in the US, and the first GM Sniper to be seen on American airwaves.

11. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, actually that might explain how they're doing a tallgeese variant in the universe line. I saw it more in the frame of premium bandai rather than a main mech, which was silly on my part.

I'll admit, the custom is unlikely, but I've never even noticed the third sniper. When I think sniper, I either think the first or the second one you've noted, though as you've noticed, the chances are slim with it being a main centric line.

Don't even know which one the third one came from.

I actually think the gm sniper 2 is the most likely, if only because it too popped up in war in pocket, and is arguably a lot more bare bones than the third you've mentioned, so they could be minimalist and accurate. And when looking up gm sniper, the sniper 2 comes up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Soundwinder

Yeah, just so it's clear, it's only the GM Sniper II that I see a change of coming out at this point. I also acknowledge the odds of that are roughly nil. There's a path to the Ground GM Sniper coming out but it's reliant on them releasing two other new molds first, and the odds of them releasing a GM Sniper Custom is in the negatives.

We did get a Leo so maybe we'll get some GM at some point. That said, I think the grunt (well, grunt adjacent) suit we have the best odds of getting is a Gouf Custom. It pairs with the Ex-8, it has no backpack, only a large shield and an unpainted sword. No repaint possibilities, but the line doesn't seem to be particularly worried about that anyway.

I think I figured out why I find the GP-01Fb so underwhelming. It's the backpack being so static. Every other GP-01Fb I own has a much more dynamic backpack, one that can pivot and the beam saber handles can move. This one just is completely static and while the thruster bells have the expected articulation, the ultimate result is a much less fun toy for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Probably. I assume once they run low of main mechs they'll start doing other popular designs, which I'm hoping counts the gm2, though its a shame the gm sniper custom has no chance.

I would take a gouf, or any generic honestly, though the body of the gm sniper or any unicorn grunt is a high favorite of mine

I'd say that's the problem with basic figures, that can't afford all the fancy extras, like the aerial gundam, or it's companion piece in the next wave, who could use some more of that playability, but are constrained by the 25 dollar budget. Personally it's a shame, but after picking one of my model kits up and hearing it whine, it reminds ke why the gundam universe line is good for me personally

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    I tend to think of the models more as being 'do not touch' display pieces. It's a similar case with the Damashii figures.

In contrast, I'm happy to leave a Gundam Universe figure lying around on a desk. Also, they're an possible opportunity to for me to get a figure I don't really want to build, (especially when there are others I find more interesting - also I don't have as much time for that sort of thing as I used to) and cheap enough that I don't mind getting a figure design that I don't really like enough to pay a lot more for. (or that I'm not really familiar with).

Still, I would like an accessory pack for some figures.

15. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This, exactly this.

I agree with the sentiment about accessories. I remember seeing the new sdcs caliburn and thinking, wow if only the universe one could do that!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alterator

Alterator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I didn't even know this line existed until a Ross find. I figured that, someday, I'd just build the little models I have stashed away from the early 2000s, and that would be it. But these are bigger, already put together, and definitely more diverse than my stash. So I was able to find 4 of them, along with a Target exclusive on Ebay for the same price. For what they are, they seem like they will work well in my collection.
    For all of you that have been collecting them for a while - is there any place that eventually puts them on a discount/clearance/etc.? It seems difficult to find any that I don't have, at less than the MSRP/$25. Even Ebay seems difficult to get old ones under $20 shipped.
    Thanks!

17. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    AFAIK these showing up at Ross was the first time they've been at discount retail. I didn't see any at Ross personally. Before this the best I was able to do was 25% off with Target toy coupons. The line has been going for a good 4 years now, so it might be harder to track down earlier releases.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Soundwinder

Yeah, other than the mysterious Ross findings and Target Exclusives getting the Target Exclusive Treatment (ie getting clearanced almost instantly), they're pretty consistently at MSRP at retailers.

Sad to say my Leo has lost his shoulder armor. I mentioned it's annoyingly loose, but sad that it's gone. Which is a shame because other than that it's easily the least fragile of the figures in the line.

• Like Like x 1
  19. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Grunt suits...
    MS Leo made it to this line.
    I want them to make Jesta Cannon from UC & Windams from Seed/Destiny.

• Like Like x 2
  20. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gundam Universe Astray Red Frame coming soon....
    upload_2024-1-19_12-6-39.png

Not even a back pack Flight Unit?
    Come On Bandai!!!!

• Like Like x 3