Gundam Universe Figures Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Duke spino

Duke spino Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    ...didn't we already get banshee?

Not that I mind, it just means the series is continuing at least.

Nothing really here for me, so i guess I'm waiting till the next wave

• Like Like x 2
  2. MagnusWave931

MagnusWave931 Loving this Track right now

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not going to lie, this wave’s selection isn’t too interesting to me. Another version of Banshee and Deathscythe, with Caliburn tagging along. I think the previous wave had a better selection.

3. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Neat. Deathscythe Hell looks like it fixes all the issues I had with the G-Universe Deathscythe: IE. awkwardly tiny shield and beam effect, awful scythe angle. The wings are undersized but honestly I might like them better than the huge ones it canonically has.

Speaking of undersized, Calibarn's tiny rifle is kinda funny. I like the attempts to hide its undersized-ness using forced perspective. Doesn't look like the rifle opens, either.

This is Banshee Norn. AKA "What if the Banshee, instead of the unique and interesting claw and beam smartgun weapons, just had a Beam Rifle and a Shield"

• Like Like x 1
  5. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Would be nice to get the other Endless Waltz Gundams to accompany Wing Custom.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MagnusWave931

MagnusWave931 Loving this Track right now

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I’d pay good money for Heavyarms Custom EW, one of my all time favorite gundam designs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, I know, just poking fun at it.

I'm ready for a final battle three shield unicorn I guess, and then green highlights banshee and then phenix I suppose.

Instead of the more iconic non battle form that I'm pretty sure everyone prefers.

No idea why the destroy form gets more love

8. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    I have a G Gundam available if you're interested.

9. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Deathscythe Hell (AKA Batman Gundam) - That was definitely my most wanted EW release. I generally preferred the EW Katoki designs over the original Wing ones.. We should get the others at some point. Always had a soft spot for the series that (along with SEED) originally inspired me to have an interest in Gundam.

Gundam Banshee - After finally deciding to get the previous Gundam Universe Unicorn Gundam (mostly because of the green 'Awakened' psychoframe - Every other Gundam Unicorn model and figure I have has the regular red one) , I was sort of regretting not getting a Gundam Banshee. This suits me fine. I like the extra remolding that makes it a bit more than a straightforward repaint of Unicorn Gundam with a new head.

Gundam Caliburn - This should do as a display companion for Gundam Aerial. I was vaguely hoping for it, but I hadn't expected it this soon, though I probably should have.. I hadn't expected the big gun, either.

All preordered.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  10. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    DSH's wings are puny, and I do NOT like that at all. Wing Zero had its pretentious angel wings all at full scale, what's the excuse here?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm hoping it looks better in hand (Wing Zero's wings turned out bigger than I'd expected). . Also, the smaller wings might make it easier to pose, especially with that scythe..

To be honest, I don't really expect these Gundam Universe figures to be completely faithful to the original designs.. I do want to see how the wings are constructed, though. There were things I didn't like about the ones for the MG model.

12. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

Naughty-Boy that i may be for Breaking-Canon...
    i prefer my RX-0s in this 3/4 UNICORN Mode. it just simply happens to look "Right" to me;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The tiny wings on DSH are almost comical. The giant bat wings are the defining trait of that design, how could they mess them up like that?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Funny, I like it the other way.

I prefer the unicorn head on destroy mode, since I've always felt that the unicorn head should've been the singular horn because it was, yknow, a unicorn.

Same goes for banshee and phenix, in which I think all three look best in destroy mode with unicorn heads

15. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

Well... That Approach most certainly lends well towards rendering the RX-0 as especially unique amongst RX-78-Patterned MS designs...

16. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Lol.

I know that it makes the gundam look the least like the rx 78, but I also happen to like greater departures like that.

Frankly, the rx-0 has never struck me as part of the rx 78 patterned designs, given how little it shares with the unit.

I mean, it has the basic load out, but so do many designs. It has the horns but that's always struck me as in line with the unicorn motif, and most gundams have a v-fin.

In contrast, I'd say its most iconic traits have nothing to do with the 78 unit series.

And I just like the knight like face, especially on banshee, with the giant crusher claw and lasergun arm

17. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

i just always found myself figuring the basic RX-0 to be a more of a pure expression
    of Kunio Ohkawara's alleged STAR WARS Stormtrooper-derived inspiration for the RX-78-pattern design motif... 40 years late.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Never eve knew that was a thing about the original designs. Just thought it was a cool variant of the gundam. And I think gms fit that better

Cool.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

So, with Gundam Universe and Gundam Infinity figures showing up at Ross for half-price, I'm increasing my collection and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Gundam Infinity Wing Gundam: As I said before, I "get" the Gundam Infinity line a lot more than the Gundam Universe line. They're actually budget figures, their advertised playability in the form of customization by swapping weapons and limbs is fun, they're relatively durable, and they don't seem to be missing accessories like their bigger brothers. Gundam Universe felt too fragile and expensive for casual buyers, and too meh for collectors. That said, sorta iffy on this one. While it has its beam saber, an absolutely baffling omission from the Universe figure, the fact the wings are almost completely static is... genuinely painful. There's a hinge joint where they mount to the backpack, but that's it. For $5 I don't think I regret it but it was a huge disappointment. I'd like to see if I can find the Zaku torso that came with Red Frame Astray to attach the Zaku legs onto.

Gundam Universe GP01Fb: Feels pretty naked without a shield. Wish they could've at least sprung for giving it the larger experimental beam rifle. The backpack is an okay size, but does just feel... a bit limited I guess. The head also looks inexplicably doofy. I'm incredibly thankful that the beam saber blade can still fit in the rifle. Kinda insane that it doesn't come with a second beam saber blade. It's a glaring omission that's sadly par for the course for the line. It's particularly bad compared to the Rx-78 or Ez-8 who at least had a shield for their off-hands. This figure was made for dual wielding but alas, not happening. One of the other downsides to how unpopular the line is is that there's no way for me to easily check online since there's no photo reviews of these figures. Also, the hands are scary to pop in and out. First time I've experienced this in the line and I don't care for it. They're softer and stretch every time they get switched out... which will never be happening again. For $12 it was probably worth it, but unlike my last cheap GU purchase (G3) it didn't make me think "huh, I could see paying full price." Instead it was "well, I think it was worth getting at this sharply discounted price. Probably."

Gundam Universe Shenlong Gundam: I don't understand how disappointing this figure is. As a reminder, I bought this figure before and I returned it because the packaging hides the fact it doesn't paint the Dragon Fang so I returned it on principle. That's fucking scummy. Anyway, for $12 it seemed worth it, and it's not like it wouldn't move eventually. The look is mostly there but the figure overall just feels a lot cheaper. The various fins of the dragon fang feel super delicate and it doesn't feel like a weapon that could crush an enemy mobile suit, it feels like a delicate instrument that would shatter upon impact with a Leo. I think the Dragon Fang needs to be bigger. I'd say at least it looks nice posed but the yellow is atrocious. It doesn't match what little yellow paint there is in the slightest and is an incredibly sickly, toy-y yellow. It truly looks awful. Also the backpack is made of gummy plastic and took some cutting to manage to fit flush into the back. And also very disappointed that the beam blade can't fit into any of the beam saber hilts with other figures and vice versa. Would be a nice bit of compatibility but they couldn't bother.

So yeah. After my last post where I was cautiously optimistic (happy with paying full price for a Leo, and with the G3 making me think maybe I just had a few duds with weird choices) getting these two for half price really made me feel incredibly mehhhhhhhhhh. At this point I might get the rest of the Wing Gundam lineup if I see it at Ross for completion's sake and maybe the Master Gundam, but I don't think I'd get any of the rest even at Ross prices.

And yet I still want that Shining Gundam. Dammit.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  20. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Found Freedom at Ross and decided to give it a shot. Surprisingly the plastic felt solid and the figure itself was very playable.

Really enjoyed it and hoping to be able to track down more of them for $12.

One distinct advantage is that they can go back in the box after play.

Here is what I have. Did light panel lining on them PXL_20231204_165753885.jpg PXL_20231204_165908930.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20231204_165841879.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 6