Gundam Universe Figures Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. 009*

009* That Guy... Somewhere

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the new deluxe price point in the line is used for fully equipped re-releases, like Nu Gundam HWS, Full Armor Unicorn, the Endless Waltz crew, etc.

2. Duke spino

Duke spino Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's a good figure if you ask me pretty solid for the 25 you paid.

True, the shield is missing, but besides that, it's pretty decent.

Honestly, if they tossed the extra hands in favor of a shield, I'd say it'd be a much more complete figure.

3. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After decades of building models, I'm kind of liking these more robust Universe figures I can just mess around with.

I'm not planning to get all of them (I went through THAT phase with the MGs and then the PBandai thing happened which made things a bit too pricey for my taste - not to mention my regular suppliers didn't sell the PBandai stuff) , but a few thoughts about the latest ones.

Gundam Unicorn Awakened - Pretty much all my Gundam Unicorn models and other figures are white and red, so I figured I might as well get this version as my Universe variant.

Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex - I didn't get the earlier versions (I originally only intended to get SEED and EW Wing Universe figures) , but this is the most interesting version, imo, so it's on the way. .

Gundam GP01FB - I'll probably hold out for GP03 which is my favourite . (and I'd probably be disappointed if I got this and then GP02 turned up without it's 'accessories')

Gundam Aerial - I liked the look, so another one for the collection.

Tallgeese II - I like Tallgeese III better, so I'll wait around for that.

Shining Gundam - I've never collected anything from this series, but I admit I do like the look of it, but I'll probably pass.

Gundam OO Quan[T] - I figured I might as well get it to go with it OO siblings. They'll look good together.

Gundam Strike Freedom - If it's SEED, it's brought on sight. To be honest, I've got more of an attachment to Gundam Freedom and Aile Strike (early nostalgia, etc) but this is still a nice design.. And we're FINALLY getting that new Gundam SEED Freedom movie. I guess there'll be more coming on the SEED front.

Going forward, right now, I wish we could also get some add ons for the Strike Gundam (Striker pack/Skygrasper set?) , it's four main ZAFT counterparts, the remaining Endless Waltz Gundams (particularly Deathscythe) and the Astray Red Frame.

I'm thinking I'd also like Bandai to do a similar line for other mecha series as well (I'm thinking Macross and Evangelion).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    A decent transformable macross figure could be cool. Personally, the ones they've been making look too finangly and too delicate

So a universe like figure with a basic transformation could be cool. Basically chug macross. If not that, then at least decent poseable reasonably priced macross could be great.

And again, I'm waiting on bandai to make the unicorn gundam in its unicorn form cause that's clearly the better one.

And a graze, cause I could use one of those, and give it the eye gimmick for funsies

5. 009*

009* That Guy... Somewhere

News Credits:
    I'm thinking of doing some custom painting. What paint best matches the blue on the Wing Zero?

6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I wouldn't hold my breath for a GP03. Or at least a very good version of it. Its thrusters are pretty large, there's no chance they'll integrate its fun extendo-arm claw gimmicks or any of its folding weapon gimmicks (it even coming with an accessory past its beam rifle recycled from the GP01 would shock me).

The difficulty of finding reasonably priced transforming Valkyries really does kill me. They managed it in the 80's and now suddenly it's impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If they think they can get away with releasing it as a 40 dollar figure, they will.
    They sold the barbatos lupus rex asa 40 dollar figure, and it only has bigger arms and a mace

8. Traffic Cone

Traffic Cone TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    For a Gundam Universe figure, I find Shining Gundam pretty nice. IMO its one of the best releases in the line, with decent articulation and a spread of accessories that actually makes sense. Unlike the Burning Gundam, I haven't had issues with his armor bits popping off.

PXL_20230830_015804850.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I haven’t been paying attention to Universe but always have radar on for G Gundam so that post above inspired me to see what’s up. I found Master Gundam available for cheap so I got that and it seems pretty decent overall. Not as good as the old 7” MSIA figures but should work out nicely for my kids. I’ll pick up Shining as soon as I see a deal on one. Already missed out on God Gundam but doesn’t sound like I’m missing much.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AyaToyBox

AyaToyBox Well-Known Member

So GU Aerial The shield can't separate right ?

11. Soundwinder

Nope, not a chance.

Anyway, since these were at my Target I've gotten a couple more and while I still stand by my statement that their choices are utterly baffling, making the figures worse for literally no reason whatsoever (cost-cutting I get. I'm referring to design choices that make a figure worse without saving any money), maybe I'm going soft in my old age but I do look fondly on my last two purchases.

So I bit the bullet and bought the Leo. As people have mentioned, it's... roughly MG scale so that's neat, and I love me some grunts. Its design is also inherently sturdy so I appreciate that. Still find the lack of the shield inexplicable and the inclusion of the beam saber actually manages to make the figure seem more naked so... that's interesting. Also interesting is the fact that this thing was designed with the Space Leo and probably High Mobility Leo in mind. The rear skirt thrusters are removable, and there's an inexplicable hole in the back. Honestly, I'll prolly get that Space Leo. Figure overall is fine, though the shoulder armor pops off too easily and the stomach armor is free-floating on mine, which I don't think is supposed to be the case but a bit annoying. I also really enjoy the range on the head, even if it pops off a lot. Overall, pretty nice.

Then I picked up the G3 Gundam. For under $8 (yay for Target clearancing its exclusives), obviously worth it. But compared to my Ez-8 and Deathscythe it does feel a bit more sturdy. Not sure why, but I feel less like it'll break from handling or taking a small tumble. I think this largely comes down to the V-Fin. Beam sabers with blades are appreciated, and the ability to put the beam saber blade in the rifle barrel as a blast effect is exactly what I normally refer to when I say the line drops the ball on features. This is an awesome thing that costs them nothing. So I'm glad it was included. On the other hand, the shield is... weird. Specifically, the handle for it. It's in the way when mounted on the back, and it means that the Gundam can't dual-wield while holding the shield. Again, it's a "why?" decision, as the handle isn't even enough to really hold the shield on its own so while a wee bit more accurate, it really limits what the Gundam can do.

So yeah. Unlike every other GU purchase I've made (the aforementioned two plus the Shenlong which I returned on principle), there's nothing about this that makes me really annoyed. It helps that since the line has started, other six-inch scale figures have pretty much matched or surpassed them in price depending on the retailer.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  12. ArkhamSoldier

ArkhamSoldier Broke as heck

News Credits:
    Got Rex today 20231009_202126.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    Had mine turn up a few days ago, along with a few other GU figures. (also, that's a pretty good pose, I'll have to try something similar with mine).

I hadn't expected the box to be at least twice the size of the others.. The mace doesn't take up THAT much space.

Still, a very nice figure. It is currently my favourite of the Barbatos designs. And that 'beast' theme makes it kind of stand out.

One of the other GU figures I got was Strike Freedom, and even after all these years, the basic design still looks great, imo. It got that SEED nostalgia kicking in, and I wish we could get the Justices in GU form (amongst others, especially that once rumoured Astray Red Frame. And a few accessory packs wouldn't hurt). I guess we'll get some Gundam Freedom stuff at some point..

Bandai really should also make similar figure lines for some of it's other franchises. I'd be buying everything Macross-related.. .. .(I like gunpla, but they tend to be too fragile, while other figure lines often have the same issue, while being pricier as well. That one missing tiny piece can get stressfull.... )..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  14. Soundwinder

So, in what is kind of a win for the GU Line, they are making a Hyper Mode God/Burning Gundam.

Amazon.com

It is, however, marked up to $40, presumably for the premium finish.

I'm calling it a win since, unlike the regular Burning Gundam, Hyper Mode God Gundam never used its beam sabers (or at least not much) so it feels like a lot less of a glaring omission.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So no new wave yet? I liked the leo I got, and wouldn't mind seeing a gm or a graze.
    Graze would be great, especially if they include the eye feature

16. Soundwinder

Nothing since the last announcement of boring tweaks to already boring suits.

... I seriously cannot get over how ridiculously dull that newest wave is.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Duke spino

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah. I've never even seen it in shop.
    It's basically nonexistent.

Here's hoping the next wave will be wonderful

18. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    I'm hoping we still get that rumoured Astray Red Frame..

• Like Like x 2
  19. Soundwinder

Red Frame (and the various Astrays) would be pretty perfect for the line. You have at least 3 color variations of the exact same mold, and since there's already a Strike, you can reuse its shield mold with no new cost of tooling. That way, they can justify the Red Frame coming with its Gerbera Straight while the Blue and Gold Frames would have a shield in its place.

Also, the beam saber mold that already exists more closely resembles the Astrays' hilts than most, since that's already a flattened hilt unlike the traditional lightsaber-y perfect cylinder most bean saber hilts are.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits: