Gundam Universe Figures Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dendrobium

Dendrobium Well-Known Member

How often do we see the MS do a full rotation waist spin? About the only time I recall is suits like Wing and Saviour when transforming.

This is my point. I'm not going to lament an action figure not being able to pull off a pose the design never did in fiction. An action figure should have some room for freedom of expression but it's still replicating a fixed idea.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think he's just using that as an example of how the articulation overall is highly restrictive in seemingly meaningless ways. Plenty of Gundam models lack full waist rotation as well, but it's a joint that can usually be completely unobstructed. If you want to get technical, while most MS never featured fully rotating waists, they would often "flex" and move in ways a solid toy never could, but that added range of motion can allow replicating that movement. For example, many action figures and models feature some kind kind of drop-down hip joint for more realistic bends, even though no MS has hip joints that move exactly like that. Plus it's an action figure, you want to pose it and move it the way you want to.

MSIA is held up not so much for it's quality, but as QW said it was more impressive for its time than Universe is for nowadays. Plus MSIA was normally limited by the fact that most joints were fairly standard single point movement. Universe has things like double-joints and stuff, but they're so pointlessly limited by the sculpt. You've got the parts count of something high end, but the effective range of something low-end. Plus the lack of accessories and translucent plastic effects, and it all conspires together to make a line that feels so much cheaper than it actually is. I think if they had reduced the scale to around MSIA/RD size and simply had more intelligent design with the same parts count they have we could've had a line that had much more appeal to casual fans and hardcore Gundam collectors. As it is Universe feels frustratingly half-baked and doesn't have much appeal to existing fans or newcomers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    No, I don’t think the figures were overrated due to nostalgia. MSiA! didn’t start out strong, especially the UC releases in Japan prior to Wing, I don’t recommend any of those. By 2001-2002 they were getting a lot better, the deluxe RX-78-2 was probably the turning point for me, along with the MS 08th team figures

MSiA simply did a lot right at a lower price point. Maintained relative scaling, improved articulation and sturdiness over time(easy example is comparing the very 1st MSiA! RX-78 imported from Japan that barely held together compared to the Deluxe that came out stateside over a year later). If you skipped over the 1st releases and got anything made post-2002 those are substantially better than what they started with. Plus it was a line envisioned over 20 years ago yet managed to do some things better than Gundam Universe.

Meanwhile Gundam Universe seems like a line that is meant(or better aimed at) for newer fans who don’t want to build Gunpla, never had any of the older Gundam figures, don’t care if Unicorn Gundam is the same physical size as the RX-78 and don’t plan to do much beyond casual posing and leaving them on display. Aside from Barbatos I don’t mind the styling and I don’t mind the feel of the figures in-hand, they’re sturdy. I just think the line is misguided. 1 of the aims was to make a 6” line since it’s a popular scale but most Gundam fans are aware of relative scaling and other popular 6” lines stateside take relative scaling into account. Hell Bandai’s other lines take scaling into account and so did previous Gundam lines so why make everything the same size now?

If you like the line that’s fine but I’ve seen Bandai do better even with domestic Gundam figure lines so this line just baffles me, especially since it was from their Tamashii Nations(Bandai collector) division.

• Like Like x 4
  4. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sandrock Review.. Expect his next review of Nu Gundam in days.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Icebot

Icebot Well-Known Member

That were toys for play, not collector product. Part of it is the cost factor. Back then you could get them for $5 and have a huge army. They lacked some details and, yes, parts would pop off and stuff sometimes. The strength of the line was cost, a huge range of suits and variations, plus larger pieces like the mobile armors or gunperry.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Dendrobium

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dendrobium

Working on panel lining the figures thus far. Did this with wave 1 a while back and it really makes them pop. Won't fix the wider issues people have with the line but if Bandai did this themselves it would stop the figures looking cheap. So much detail going to waste.

8. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

20210710_230834_copy_1056x1226.jpg

Had a chance to open and mess with Burning Gundam and he's pretty good. He's pretty standard for the line except for the waist and ab crunch, which are much more articulated than usual.

Also, he looks like a big ol' American flag with his color scheme.

'MURICA!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShootingtheGalaxy

ShootingtheGalaxy Toy Photographer

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Endless Waltz

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. infinite_virtue

infinite_virtue Well-Known Member

Gundam Universe Wing Gundam:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am definitely more interested in the model kits than these Universe figures but I may pick up Heavy Arms.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mark4flair

20210813_224923_copy_1573x873.jpg

Wave 5 from BBTS!

• Like Like x 3
  12. mark4flair

20210824_222440_copy_973x1283.jpg

Tall Anthony Edwards!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dendrobium

Heavyarms, Exia and Freedom out 25th September in Japan.

Apparently Gundam Online Expo teased Master Gundam is in the next wave. Given we're almost certainly getting Shenlong too I wonder who the third figure is.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Master Gundam would be an instant pickup for me. I’m still hoping I can find Char’s Zaku at retail somewhere, only one store in this area carries these and they’re just sitting on three or four Tallgeese.

15. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought Shenlong and Astray Red Frame had been rumoured. I didn't know about Master Gundam.

16. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Master Gundam huh? Hmmmm. Nah, haven’t dipped into this line yet and still don’t see the need to. When they start doing G Gundam in the Metal Build line, I’m doomed.

17. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Master was specifically mentioned during the presentation, while Shenlong was referenced as the last one in the Wing lineup:

GUshenlong.jpg

Also, "It shoots out fire & stuff." That should be the blurb on the back of the box.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lando22404

Lando22404 Well-Known Member

I know that this is supposed to be an entry level price point line but freedom and exia just look weird to me without shields.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dendrobium

So this is interesting. The new wave is out and with it a related feedback survey complete with a shortlist of possible future figures.

It has a new name included- Leo.

Grunts might actually be coming.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!