Grown-ups surpass preschoolers as the biggest toy consumers: ‘Most important age group’

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Monari, Jun 14, 2024.

1. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

I’ve thought long and hard about I parent.

That said I hope that the way you raised your little ones turned out well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zeta Trion

Zeta Trion Well-Known Member

I don’t have kids, but I have nieces and nephews and they play with toys. Along with iPads/video games + 5000 extra curricular activities. I don’t think toys are going anywhere anytime soon. I’m sure people were predicting the demise of the action figure along with the rise of the home entertainment systems.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Jeeaxus

Jeeaxus J->E Translator, Comics Fan, Recent Collector

Instagram:
    Hopefully! I guess we’re also dooming and glooming (well, some of us) over something that says they make up less of the buyer base—not none of it.

Could also be a combination of factors, with kids dropping off of toys somewhat, but a generation of adults raised on action figures with enough income to spend on them, and a greater level of social acceptability in doing so, all colliding to push the adult portion over right now.

An earlier post said that it’s not as if more adults were buying, but I’m not sure that’s true. There probably are more adults buying toys now than there were in the ‘90s and 2000s. The issue is just that there won’t continue to be that market if kids don’t also feel fondness toward them now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zeta Trion

Zeta Trion Well-Known Member

I think the best thing we can take from this is “you are not alone.”

You never know who else has a closet full of Rowdy Roddy Pipers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More like actual social media, where self image and self worth are determined by interacting with strangers. I can't imagine really young kids having access to that sort of thing.

My daughter doesn't have limits on screen time and she's eight. It's perfectly fine for our family. Some days she'll watch it all day, some days very little, and other days not at all. She would very much rather be playing with her friends.

6. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

I can speak on personal experience with the first one.

I didn't get my own home computer until I was 14. Frankly, the whole culture back then was so different.

I've been trying to teach my younger brother about the value of a screen handle, since you really shouldn't be doling out your personal information; there's enough of that happening.

As for the latter, as long as you keep a slight eye on what exactly they're watching, then it's all good.

YouTube Kids is a very strange rabbithole, very quickly. People think that Elsagate stuff was a one time event. It never actually stopped.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seanprime

Seanprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well this thread took a weird turn….

8. Jeeaxus

Jeeaxus J->E Translator, Comics Fan, Recent Collector

Instagram:
    I don't see how. It's all speculation on what's driven this and what it entails/signifies both on the child and adult-collector ends.

9. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    Unless I'm missing it, nothing in this article offers any evidence that "Grown-ups surpass preschoolers as the biggest toy consumers." Just one guy's personal experience, and then a few other only partially related numbers

I don't have the same experience. I do most of my Transformers shopping online these days, but any time I go to Walmart or Target, I swing by the toy aisle to glance at the Legos and Transformers. The age groups of people I see there most are kids with both or one of their parents. It's still relatively rare for me to see just an adult looking at toys for themselves

I've got a daughter myself, she's 3. Whenever her nieces are over, she loves playing on their iPads with them. She loves tv. But she also has a varied and large collection of toys and she loves to play with all of those too

My personal experience anyway, is that kids still all love toys. It's very obvious that collecting toys is becoming much more mainstream among adults, but I don't think it's becoming less mainstream among children

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

It also doesn't match with my anecdotal experience, despite my social circle being al lst the ideal environment for such a thing, so I wonder if
    a)people in America buy more toys than in Italy
    b)there are actually a lot more AFOLs I'm aware of
    c)I'm too focused on thinking about toys as action figures, and the poll actually included people who bought things like puzzles or board games.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree - we’ll go the way of the model train set collectors

• Like Like x 1
  12. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, how is it not acceptable here? I think you need to hang out with other people.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Seanprime

News Credits:
    You need new friends and to not care about what others think

• Like Like x 2
  14. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Trouble is, that requires Hasbro to treat the modern lines as if they actually matter and that’s a lesson they’re adamantly refusing to learn.

Awesome quality kids toys got us hooked in the past regardless of the generation. Even when there was a “collector” line going, until RiD15 anyway. So why does Hasbro think they can shortchange the kids now?

If it were “cheap but fun” I’d agree. But I picked up a couple of the Warrior Earthspark toys and they simply didn’t work as you’d expect. Almost impossible to get into vehicle mode, especially Elita, and the so-called action features were pathetic. I got them on clearance and still felt cheated.

then there’s the Tacticons. Tiny, cheap and VERY fun! And they work as intended we need more of them, more like the BotBots, more like the old Bot Shots. Cheap is fine if it’s cheap and actually good for the price.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Seanprime

News Credits:
    to your first point, some context. I got back into transformers in 2006, my senior year of high school. I started watching cybertron in the early mornings and overall got intrigued. Went to Walmart and saw all the cybertron figs on the shelves. Fast forward to now and here we are. So I definitely agree with you, a cartoon toyline hasn’t been giving a full treatment since prime really. RID Cyberverse and now Earthspark they characters weren’t giving the same treatment as generations is. It would be nice to see whenever the next cartoon comes out a full scaled toyline is right along with it. Because if I was getting to Earthspark now as that same 17 year old in 06 I wouldn’t be as excited. Maybe I’d then funnel over to generations stuff but still

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dome Zero

Dome Zero Kup and Hot Rod just bought it!

My heart soared when I read this. I'm sick of all the pre-schoolers talking shit in the toy aisles about how they're the most important part of the market. I hope their mommies or daddies read this article to them and they choke on it.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Bustermaster

Bustermaster GREAT - ROBOT - BASED

News Credits:
    It was always going to be like this after covid and the advent of children being chronically online, whats a better deal 20 dollars for skins and items to show to all your friends you play with in a game? Or 20 dollars for one or two figures if you buy cheap that you play with alone in your room? Seems simple enough to me.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    its been this way for a while now, back in the revenge of the fallen days we where something like 5% of the market, but somehow the toys where so much better, time went and they started to bring in more of the mainline fodder, they seems to sit there forever while the collectors stuff is taken out real quick, also over the last few years ive noticed alot of people who where lets play sports and get drunk have moved to lets play games oh and i brought this cool hotwheels toy, things are changing being NERD is now mainstream and i cant be happier because it means i have a better chance of finding a nerdy GF lol, but i wont be looking at least for 2 months i need more time to heal after losing my wife to cancer

• Like Like x 3
  19. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *INSERT MASSIVE BRO HUG HERE*

So incredibly sorry for your loss. All I can say is I'm hopeful you will meet a wonderful new partner at the right time in your life!

• Like Like x 4
  20. aboutthatbeerioweya

aboutthatbeerioweya Dear old friends, remember Navarro

Feels like with each generation of men the things we collect get dinkier and less substantial. My grandfather collected and hot-rodded cars in his time like his peers, my father collects books and has a huge library, and now i can barely afford three plastic robots a month. It's all inflation and the decline of the standard of living but i wonder what my kids are gonna be collecting when they're of the age, Bottle caps?