Grimlock looks awesome

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Oct 6, 2011.

1. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When has he NOT looked awesome?

2. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really liked the look of the DS version. I want to see what he actually looks like in the game (although the concept art is pretty sweet too)

3. Autobot_Hiphop

Autobot_Hiphop Well-Known Member

I hear you. Makes me laugh too. It's like some fans latch on to a negative idea and run with it without thinking for themselves.

Transformers running around with rubber tires, car modes, jet modes with cockpits (who or what is fitting in those?), are all contradictory to a truely "alien" species if you are assuming these transformers have had no contact with human beings or were not created by a humanoid species.

Transformers turning into robotic dinosaurs is actually more "alien" then all of the cybertronian bots we've seen in wfc lmao!

I just think some people like to complain about things.

Anyways, Grimlock's overall design looks pretty cool. He looks kinda stubby though from that angle as far as his proportions go.

4. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    So? the g1 constructicons were actual earth vehicles when they were on cybertron. (don't belive me? watch "the secret of omega supreme") plus highmoon has done really well so this is forgivable

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I like to think that TFs has moved past G1 cartoon-level intelligence.

And just for the future: because G1 did it is not a valid excuse. G1 was kinda really dumb if you think about it.

Well that's just a lie.

Doesn't change the fact that he still looks stupid.

Again, Trypticon was done so well. He looked like Trypticon but wasn't a big dumb-looking dinosaur.

6. Saurocon

Saurocon Uncle Samhain

So, he looks too much like a real T-rex but he's too cartoony? This doesn't sound like a catch-22? I mean, it's okay to dislike the look--don't get me wrong; I'm just not understanding the reasons people are giving for why they're reacting this way.

Out of friendly curiosity to all the nay-sayers, how would you fix this look? Also, Split Lip and others mentioned that Trypticon was done right--what exactly about him was done right?

I'm just not understanding why there's a dichotomy here: why Trypticon's okay but Grimlock's not.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Trypticon was done right because he looked like a big lizard thing that wasn't any specific animal. He ahd big arms, short legs, a humanoid torso with a big thick tail and dino-like head. Grimlock here is designed specifically to look like a T-rex, which I could forgive, IF he didn't look so dopey.

8. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    I luvs it.

For those complaining about Grimlock being a T-Rex: It might be explained in the story, if it isn't then be angry.

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    He looks like a giant Mouser from TMNT.

10. Saurocon

Saurocon Uncle Samhain

Thanks, that makes much more sense. Trypticon did indeed have a Komodo Dragon/Godzilla sort of vibe to him, but managed to stay unique at the same time--a successful synthesis of elements. I totally agree.

I've gotta split with you, here--this design ain't no T-rex any more than Trypticon. Grimlock's mechanical form in the recent IDW comics is modelled on a Tyrannosaurus, so it has the distinctively Tyrannosaurian shape of head, two fingers on short, thick arms, and the right proportions to fit the real animal. Check it out: All Hail...Grimlock: Maximum Dinobot Cover Art

This new design for FoC pays homage to the original toy more than it does a real species. Its head shape is much more stocky, with almost mammalian canines (so it's definitely not even a dinosaur), three claws on the end of longish, spindly arms, a flat-footed stance, and a drill/club on the tip of the tail. In fact, other than vaguely the same general body shape all large, meat-eating dinosaurs shared (big head, short arms, two legs, thick tail), this has nothing to do with Tyrannosaurus rex specifically, and even fails to match real dinosaurs when considering the details. It's no more dinosaurian than Trypticon, really, and maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time understanding the supposed contrast between the two (at least on this point).

When I look at FoC Grimlock, I see a design that manages to look dangerous, heroic, functional, and slightly comical at the same time. Unlike Trypticon, it actually looks like it will put the bite on you without tripping over its own tail (As the robot mode of a base, Trypticon's design worked best when blasting away at little guys with all the guns dotting his hide and duking it out with his arms on the bigger characters). This alt mode isn't any more or less cartoony than any of the other character designs in either mode. It may not be the Furmanesque "Me Grimlock badass" kind of character, but I don't think I'd want that kind of portrayal anyway--I always liked Grimlock more squarely in the Autobot camp, even if he didn't agree with Optimus.

11. Onslaught24

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    the whole thing about G1 isn't my point. it's the fact that they were on cybertron like this grimlock. and the whole thing is supposed to look a little cartoony, it's transformers. i think you're just pissed that i'm new and outsmarted you, but it is your opinion

12. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sick! I love it.

13. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Actually you didn't.

You're just objectively wrong. You cite G1 having earth vehicles on Cybertron. He points out how G1 didn't fucking care about consistency. Your point is rendered moot, yet you're still right? lol aight

Still, regardless, I'm fucking HYPED that Grimlock's a dinosaur. Thats, y'know, kind of his WHOLE FUCKING THING

14. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Is that some sort of jetpack/thruster mounted on Grimlocks back? Perhaps his turbo sees wheels pop out of his feet and he blasts along as a mechanical T-Rex on rocket skates?

Also, that gigantic tank/battle station in the background of the fallen Bumblebee picture, it looks like the Autobot symbol on its front, could that be Metroplex?

15. Onslaught24

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    alright i gotcha. thanks for clearin that up. (btw SPLIT LIP i apologize)

16. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    Yes! His design is epic!

17. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    I was thinkin that, but it seems a bit too green to be him.

18. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

I agree on the colour, but don't forget that a few WFC characters like Silverbolt, Scattorshot, Shockwave and Breakdown all had colours which deviated from their classic G1 schemes too. I'd imagine if it IS Metroplex, then they changed his colours because a huge block of white might look out of place in the games dark environment.

19. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was also happy with the Grimlock's design from WfC, but doesn't mean I don't like this version too... Looks like Prime got a slight redesign for FoC, so I'm cool with this!

20. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Not to be combative, but

Silverbolt = Silver, like his name states
    Scattorshot = Blue and gold, spot on to his Cybertron version, which was the basis of the homage
    Shockwave = Purple and grey
    Breakdown = white, blue, and orangey-red.

According to the guy who saw the game at PAX, Metroplex is really close to G1, so I'm assuming he's white. Thus, the thing in the picture is probably just a big mobile fortress. After all, Metroplex is a city, so he'd probably be muuuuuuch larger anyway.