Green Hornet Reboot

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Nov 15, 2016.

1. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
  2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It was pretty bad, the problem is they tried to keep the basic plot and comedy elements of the Kevin Smith Script, which was written as the Son of the original Hornet takes over after his father is killed, who got Trained by Kato and teamed up with Kato's Daughter, the new Kato.
    They made a comic from the script which was pretty good.
    But it didn't work for the story of the original Hornet and Kato.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

That book actually wasn't too bad, at that, come to think of it. I'm tempted to track down Dynamite's Bionic Man (Six Million Dollar Man) book to see if it's anywhere near as good, since presumably that was also based on a script Smith did.
    Even though they already did the "murdered dad" bit in Rogen's movie, I wouldn't mind them giving this one a closer adaptation.

5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

As much as I want this to happen, I would prefer a Daredevil-style streaming series for the Green Hornet. Hell, it could even be Amazon's competition with the Netflix Marvel shows and The Runways now on Hulu.

• Like Like x 1
  6. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    No. Ignore all the naysayers. I saw it in theaters and I thought it was really good!

7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    That actually sounds pretty good.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    Yeah, it wasn't as remotely bad as internet folk have made it out to be. It was entertaining and funny as hell, and actually very well done. But it was comedic, so that pissed off the turbo fans.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It was surprisingly bad. I mean, I never thought it was going to be great, but it was shocking just how bad they decided to make it.

The thing that was the most shocking was that, of all the elements they could have chosen to remain faithful to (in terms of the 1960s tv version), the element they chose to remain faithful to is the casual racism. Just like the tv show version, the movie stars a white guy who is just okay at best, accompanied by someone who is infinitely more talented and capable, but whom the white guy treats like a servant (not like a partner or even a sidekick) because he's not white.

This made the first 3/4 of the movie extremely hard to sit through. But the climax of the movie is an extended action sequence that even I have to admit was phenomenal.

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Can you call it a 'reboot' after only 1 movie?

11. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Technically, yeah.

12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's not what happened, like at all. Britt treated Kato like a servant because he was a servant. He was treated that way by Britt because it's what defined their relationship at first. Employer and employee/Master and servant that's where they started. And part of the arc in the movie is them evolving into partners.

Are they continuing with the characters and setting as established in the first movie? No. Then it's a reboot.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    That was actually the reverse of how I remembered it, too.

Granted, I haven't seen it since '08? '09? Whenever it was first on TV. But as I recall, the first 3/4ths were pretty good and even hilarious BECAUSE of the clueless master/servant stuff and Kato's begrudging patience with its absurdity, but the movie jumped the shark, went full-******, and was generally a PoS by the end after a pretty promising start.

It's a shame, too.

Great concept, great script, great cast, great director...it had EVERYTHING going for it but just kinda fell apart along the way.

:-\

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Fine then. Just don't take it so personal. Sheesh.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He was not a servant. He was an employee. But interesting you use the word MASTER and servant. Maybe that's not such a loaded term in the part of the world where you live. But yeah, Britt acted like he was Kato's master.

Kato was an employee of Britt's dad, not of Britt. Then Britt asked Kato to join him as a PARTNER. After which point, he treated him even worse.

And yeah, I get the idea of the arc, but they left the turn until way too late.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

When his father died all of his money, property, possessions, and yes employees devolved to Britt. And Kato was Britt's fathers servant. A servant is a specific kind of employee, household staff. Where using terms master and servant is correct. The friction between Britt and Kato was a class thing not a race thing.

Also the movie makes it pretty clear from the jump that Britt was an upper class twit. Who though he could treat Kato like a partner but defaulted back to servant. Who'd barely been responsible for his own life. In fact I'd argue this movie tried to subvert the 60's series racism by making Kato almost solely responsible for their super heroics (by making him the brains, the muscle, and the skills). Where as in the 60's Kato was the Green Hornets pet Chinese goon.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't know where you live, but in the United States, people are no longer property. That's kind of a big thing for us. So when someone's father dies, they don't inherit a person. Also, we don't use the term 'Master' for that kind of employer/employee relationship anymore. "Master" is never correct.

And Kato was not Britt's father's servant. He was his mechanic. Check out the movie again; they make this very clear.

The '60s show was already that same thing. Britt was the guy with money who paid for everything, and Kato was the guy who could actually do stuff. The directors had to keep telling Bruce Lee to slow down and be less impressive, because it was making Williams look like an incompetent clown. But if anything, the movie is almost worse, because in spite of Kato also now inventing everything, Britt still treats him the way he does.

But that's cool. You see it the way you do, I see it the way I do. Back on topic, I look forward to a reboot, because the 2011 movie was shit.