Google Stadia: The game cloud streaming service.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Mar 19, 2019.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

LOL at Baldurs Gate 3 getting announced here of all places, I can only assume that Larian got paid for that as I can't imagine why else you'd announce a big name PC title on a hype video for a streaming service.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Ehh.. It was okay. *just watched it* and I think people were mistaking needing "PRO" as well as buying the games, whereas "Pro" seems to be similar to Xbox Live/PSN/NSO in that it gives you shit every month as a bonus.

But I -really- feel they are starting off Stadia wrong. People are scared of new things as it is, they should have found ways of working along consoles for a bit till people got used to Stadia.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The idea of "purchasing" anything (movies, games, whatever) for streaming is a hard "no" for me. I can deal with paying for a download that lives on my hardware, inside my home. I can deal with paying a subscription fee for access to a content buffet that stays in the cloud. But if I don't get to store the data, then it's not a purchase.

Just imagine during the NES era...

"Hey, I'll sell you my new game for $20! But it has to stay at my house. You can come play it whenever you want though! ...Until I don't feel like it anymore or my mom says no. Deal?"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

True, but if the "Free games" are decent.. I could see the 10 bucks a month as a rental service so to speak.

However I honestly think Xcloud will kill this right now.

Again, I think Stadia is going into this whole thing wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BeeOtch217

BeeOtch217 Ha Ha You're a Mini-Con!

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    "Have Data caps? Well, screw you!"

That is the impression I continue to get from Google here.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Well there is no damned reason for ISPs to have caps to begin with.

8. flamepanther

I'm not sure what a game streaming service could reasonably do about data caps anyway.

9. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    This is really the issue, tbh.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well, Netflix ran up a partnership with iiNet and Optus in Australia so that their traffic is unmetered on those connections. Presumably Google could make a similar arrangement.

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    No FromSoftware? No buy.

12. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ouch.

• Like Like x 1
  13. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I cannot stress the level of a hard pass this "system" is.

14. Gaastra

News Credits:
    As spawn wave said you are paying for a streaming service but also have to pay for the games so it's paying playstation plus then having to pay to play any game on it that is streamed and you can't even download.

15. flamepanther

Netflix does something similar over here in the USA, but I don't think "bribe the telcos" is a reasonable solution that should be expected of such services.

16. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Can someone please update the title?

Not everyone will get their controllers at launch?

17. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll ask someone on the Support forum to do so.

Google's decision to deliver it based on the timings of when the person ordered isn't the most ideal way to treat customers who are interested in Stadia.

18. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Though I'd round up the latest Google Stadia news as the product launches in 5 days:

Google Stadia launch games revealed | PC Gamer

[​IMG]

Worth noting for GRID:

Grid for Stadia has a 40 car mode that 'isn't possible with other hardware' | PC Gamer

When it does, it'll come with a new multiplayer mode unavailable on PC or consoles, boasting up to 40 cars on track at the same time.

Reading Stadia's AMA is like watching a train crash everyone is weirdly happy to be involved in

Yesterday, Reddit held a Google Stadia AMA with publisher experience lead Beri Lee and Stadia director of product Andrey Doronichev to answer questions about the somewhat-anticipated Stadia launch.

They both did a pretty thorough job of answering redditor's questions, and the tone of the whole thing seemed positive, despite most of the information being about how many features the system will be missing at launch.

For example, Stadia will have parental controls from launch day, but no family sharing, meaning you'd have to buy separate games for you and your child's Stadia account. "It's a high priority feature we're planning to launch early next year," wrote Doronichev.

Other things the system won't have at launch include: an achievements UI (you can earn them, just not look at them); 4K, HDR and 60fps on anything other than a Chromecast Ultra; The Buddy Pass (which becomes available "about two weeks after you receive your bundle"); a bunch of multiplayer features like Stream Connect (the first game with this feature is expected to launch by the end of the year); amongst a few others. Oh, and if you have a Chromecast Ultra devices already this will require a software update due "soon" after launch.

So, if you've ordered a Founder's Edition Stadia, what exactly will you get on the 19th November release date? Access to 12 entire games, and an invite code to make your account and claim your Stadia name, of course. You could even get the rest of the kit (you know, the controller and Chromecast you paid for) in the following days, provided your delivery person is on schedule.

If you live in close proximity to the Google offices your delivery person could even be Andrey Doronichev himself.

"You know what? Here's a crazy idea. Let me personally deliver one," he offered during the AMA. "If you are in the Bay area and you are ok with me coming to your house at 9:00am on the 19th please DM me with your pre-order number, I'll pick one person based on order received and how close you are to my house and drop by on my way to work, bring your order and we can even play your first game together! WDYT?"

There were some positives to come out of the AMA, however. When you get you code to create your account on the system, even if you don't have the hardware, you'll be able to play straight away on a Chrome browser or using a Google Pixel phone, using mouse and keyboard or a compatible controller. Oh, but you can't actually do the initial setup or buy games without your phone (because, again, there's no UI for it), but you can use Google Play credits and gift cards, so there's that.

19. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Xbox just killed the stadia! It's doa by this point!

20. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Ouch!