GOOD Things about The Last Knight

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Galvatross, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I never said "No haterz allowed!" In fact, look what I wrote previously, which addresses the problem as to what the problem in this thread is as to how some fans have posted.

It's not about having the same opinions. It's about staying on topic, and when the first few people respond while completely missing the point of the thread, then what is the point of this thread? Yes, people should be free to have opinions and discuss, but the purpose of this thread is to discuss what people liked and not only what they disliked. It's like going into a thread about G1 specifically and only talking about Rescue Bots, without even mentioning G1 or anything relevant to the discussion. Or like a thread about IDW and going on a rant about Dreamwave without even mentioning IDW.

So people in this thread certainly CAN state criticisms of TLK in this thread, but when people enter this thread and ONLY talk about how horrible it is, then what's the point? That's not this thread's specific purpose.

People stating in this thread that they liked individual components of The Last Knight, but that it didn't work on a whole? Yeah, that's a valid opinion and one within the scope of this thread (and one I'd agree with, by the way), because that's still following the purpose of the thread, which is stating the things fans liked. And if people need to contrast what they did like against what they didn't, that's a perfectly valid way of participating in this thread.

Coming into a thread whose purpose is to state positive or enjoyable aspects, and then ONLY posting negatives? Yeah, that's completely missing the point. Not only that, but at this point it's boring and predictable, and more boring and predictable than the worst parts of The Last Knight by far.

In other posts, you yourself mentioned some positives alongside multiple negatives, and that's perfectly fine. No problem there.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    That may be true... but you have to understand the reason why people hate this film so much. A lot of fans found it extremely disappointing. Honestly The Last Knight had a lot of potential to be good but in the end it failed, made Paramount lose lots of money and disappointed many people.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ShockwaveCannon

ShockwaveCannon Banned

Ebay:
    Just because it was hugely dissappointing doesn’t mean you have to only talk about how bad it was. It’s the second worst film I’ve seen in theatres, but it had 1 or 2 good bits in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Maybe not but if you saw a film that you disliked and disappointed you in every way possible... what is there good to say about it? Nothing. What you said literally makes no sense. Last time I checked we were allowed to express our opinions on a movie lmao.

5. ShockwaveCannon

ShockwaveCannon Banned

Ebay:
    Well if you have NOTHING GOOD to say about it, there’s NO REASON for you to click on this thread loool. You’re completely missing the point of this thread.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Galvatross

And you know what? I went in with lessened expectations, and I still didn't like it as much as most or all previous efforts, so I know what it's like, but...…

….I can still see positive things within the film. I can still sit down and determine what I liked and what I didn't.

And one thing I do like about the film? It tried some things. Maybe too many things, but I'd rather see something Transformers try and fail at doing something interesting than a cookie-cutter TF film or show that looks like it's made my fandom committee. Some of the things within The Last Knight worked for me, and others didn't.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    It’s not that big of a deal. The OP just said something he liked and I respectfully disagreed (Megatrons decepticon crew.)

Yeah, you’re right the film did try a lot of things. It felt like multiple scripts. To be honest there is some very few things I liked about it too but they aren’t much and I simply just didn’t post them in this thread.

8. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Eh, that logic doesn't make sense. Even if I don't any anything to contribute to this thread, I can still click on it to see what others can come up with. And my guess is you were referring to Autobot Burnout's comments and seeing his first comment, he was actually just replying to a question OP had presented in his original post.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    This.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Galvatross

It did. But you know what other films also tried lots of things? The 2007 film and Revenge of the Fallen, but today people are very easy on them.

You see, what The Last Knight really is as an overall film is a newer version of Revenge of the Fallen, just with new characters and concepts and a fictional universe that is less within the comfort zone of Transformers zone. Both have too many characters, robot and human, with many characters disappearing for large segments of the film, including Optimus in both films. Both have main villains that don't have much to them as characters, who both have Megatron as an underling all of a sudden after Megatron was subservient to nobody in 2007 and Galvatron subservient to nobody in AoE. They even both have the ability to teleport and are both Primes (Or at the very least, Quintessa claims to be the "Prime of Life." If anything, I think TLK should have made some connection between the two: Theory: Have we seen Quintessa before in the movies?

Okay, so Revenge of the Fallen is worse on the geographic continuity front, and TLK is worse as a sequel to its predecessor than RotF....but beyond looking at the details, they're the same general type of movie. And I really like Revenge of the Fallen. I think it and Age of Extinction are together vastly underrated. I'd prefer RotF to TLK. But is there a big difference in quality between the two as overall films? No. One is just within the comfort zone of fans, and the other not so much.

Continuing with the positive, one thing I like about it is that while it doesn't work as a whole film or as a sequel to Age of Extinction, I actually do think it becomes more enjoyable when viewed as several episodes of the original cartoon made into live action. It's like "Madman's Paradise" and "Dark Awakening" and "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court" along with the Prime Unicron stuff. It's almost like watching a couple of chronological Season 3 episodes, where each episode was often very different from the episodes immediately before and after. It even has Megatron yelling, "Decepticons, retreat!" And just like in the cartoon, where successive episodes don't always feature the same characters, so too do different parts of the movie have different robots come and go. There's more than one way to look at any film or piece of fiction.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I agree all the way here. And about that brothers quote, there was something planned, but like all good ideas, it wasn't included.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :( 

• Like Like x 2
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Oh hey look what I did.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    LOL hardly. You just don't see it as much because those films are what, over a decade old at this point?

Make up your goddamn mind already.

Seriously, half the time you talk about how the films go outside the 'comfort zone' of Transformers, then you do a total 180 and talk about how the films are somehow the most G1 accurate things to come out in recent years.

You can't argue both points simultaneously, because you're saying the films are NOT like what the franchise usually does...at the same time you are saying they are JUST like what the franchise usually does.

Honestly, it just comes off that you're desperate to defend the films by any means necessary to avoid having to recognize that TLK was just that terrible. You're talking about trying to find good in a film that was so unspeakably awful that people who were absolutely diehard about the first four films despite all the flaws were turned into harsh critics of all the films because of TLK. Its a film so bad that it killed its own fanbase, a fanbase that supported as you claim films that were no different than TLK.

But if that really was the case, that TLK somehow wasn't any different from AoE or the other films, then how is it that following TLK, this very forum has undergone a transformation and numerous users having expressed disillusionment at the bayverse as a whole? That is the white elephant in the room that doesn't seem to be acknowledged here.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah. They did try lots of things as well. But hardly EVER. If i’m being honest I still love the first three films and I don’t understand what is actually so bad about ROTF.

You’re right it sort of is (but not really) like that in a way. (A newer version of ROTF.) Except the thing is ROTF doesn’t have as much issues TLK seems to have, the soundtrack, action pieces, CGI, final battle, designs and everything else just felt better in retrospect than to TLK. That’s personally why I like ROTF more. The too many characters thing isn’t just present in ROTF and TLK but it was also present in DOTM as well. Plus the whole Quintessa thing was very confusing. I felt like they should’ve had more context surrounding her character. Was she actually the creator of “Nemesis Prime.”? The movie suggests she isn’t and she lied but wasn’t it established in the last film (AOE) the Quintessons were their creators and what about the Allspark? They barley made an effort when ROTF made more of an effort.

Same here. I prefer ROTF to whatever TLK was. The thing is ROTF actually expands on its ideas and spends more time on them while TLK just brings up more and more and MORE ideas and doesn’t expand upon them as much. It wasn’t ever explained how Transformers actually came to Earth, got involved with WW2 and left again. It was just a strange contradictory thing included in the film just to expand upon the concept of Transformers apparently being here forever but in the end it failed. It sounds somewhat of a good idea but there wasn’t really much context to it except the fact “Earth is Unicron and that’s why Transformers have been here so long and that’s why they keep coming here.” The whole new idea of Bumblebee suddenly out of the blue being shot to pieces and being able to put himself back together was never explained and was just to look cool and made no real sense! The thing is in ROTF they actually explained and fleshed things out more with their new ideas. They explained thoroughly what the Matrix does, where it was hidden, why it was hidden and how it was hidden. Something TLK lacks “where, how and why.” New ideas were just thrown in to look cool with no real logical explanation present and the new ideas they tried to pull off were kinda dumb on screen. (I’m not saying ROTF expands on everything but it did a WAY better job than TLK.) It was also never established in the film why the sudden change from Galvatron to Megatron happened. The most likely thing that happened was Quintessa got a hold of him and caused this change. Though it wasn’t even shown. Or why did Quintessa do it if she even did? Megatron has failed so many times and was basically everyone’s bitch after the first film. They never provided any context and never expanded upon these ideas. Also what was with the brothers once scene? It wasn’t ever established in the (movies) Megatron and Optimus even had a friendship or past. It was cool but felt random.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WarLordFoxxy

WarLordFoxxy Banned

I swear there is always that malignant gang.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Yup... totally... because people that have a different opinion than YOU heaven forbid are evil! Ahh! Are you even.. listening to yourself... goodness.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ShockwaveCannon

ShockwaveCannon Banned

Ebay:
    The thread is literally focused on what people thought was good about TLK, so what’s the need to explain how the movie is bad? We are all aware that it’s bad. I’m sure there’s multiple threads where you can talk about the bad things about the movie.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Galvatross

Apparently you didn't read my entire post or forgot about it. Look what I wrote at the bottom of my last post in which I was responding to you:

The Bay movies follow the G1 cartoon closer in their timeline than any other fiction since G1. The first three are straight out of the first two seasons, with the 2007 movie being the pilot episode and many concepts and characters taken from the first two seasons. The Battle of Chicago is like the Battle for Autobot City, where many characters die, and Age of Extinction and The Last Knight are like parts of 1986/Season 3, with a largely new robot cast and many concepts taken from things like "Five Faces of Darkness and other Season 3 episodes.

And by going outside of the "comfort zone" I'm talking about the comfort zone for fans. Many G1 fans don't like the changes in 1986 in the original, and many Bayverse fans don't like changes in one or more of the later films. Many G1 fans don't like how Optimus and others are killed off, how Rodimus becomes the leader, how guys like Wheelie are the new Autobots, how Grimlock becomes a goofy doofus, how Galvatron goes insane, or how things are less formulaic in Season 3, because most fans want familiarity. Likewise, many fans who were introduced to the 2007 film may have disliked how later films featured new characters, got rid of the Witwickies, and moved into a more dystopian universe where Autobots were no longer allied with human governments and there was more than just Autobots and Decepticons out there. And it's perfectly okay to prefer familiarity. Most fans will probably pick familiarity over something that's not, but familarity =/= quality automatically.

There's no contradiction in saying that the Bay films both are heavily inspired by the source material, while at the same time taking some fans out of their comfort zones, because the source material itself took fans out of their comfort zones. If there had been an online fandom in 1986, the fandom reaction to the 1986 film and Seasons 3 and 4 almost certainly would have been huge and far from being entirely positive.

I actually liked the soundtrack to The Last Knight. One thing I liked about the more recent film scores is that they're more distinct from each other. RotF's score is fine, but it doesn't stand out from the others in the first trilogy, imho. Meanwhile, The Last Knight's score captures the medieval, sci-fi fantasy aspects of the film.

I think RotF has some creative designs that I really enjoy, but I prefer the more visually expressive and streamlined designs of guys like TLK Megatron and Barricade.

That's not to say TLK doesn't have some weak designs. Hot Rod's body is fine, for instance, but I wish he had a more visually expressive face. Something similar to Crosshairs would have worked better than what we got. And there's some "Trader Bot" concept art that's the stuff of nightmares, which is perhaps too far in the other direction!

The thing about the films is that which films have "better" aspects and which one is "worse" is often down to preferences. Using designs as an example, some fans prefer the jagged, grey metal Decepticons of the first three films. Others prefer the more colorful and rounded KSI Decepticons. Some have a preference for more human-like Autobot and Decepticon appearances, and others prefer more alien appearances. And there's nothing wrong with preferences, but there are a million different preferences amongst Transformers fans, and having different preferences is not a bad thing, nor are some preferences "better" than others, because that's a matter of taste based on both wiring in the individual human brain and personal experience.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    izabella - the best movie human in films 1 - 5 . Pity she was so underused.

Squeeks - The most cybertronian looking bot in the film .

Megatron - despite having a sheeps head i really like his bot and jet mode . The scene when he transforms in front of the humans in desert is great .

Hotrod scanning the lambo .

That last scene with Optimus and Bumblee driving through a field of haystacks

Soil and grass on cybertron ... i hated it at first but thinking about it now , it is as if earth contaminated it back in DotM .

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  20. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Woah, were they going to go the Marvel UK route and have Optimus and Megatron both be gladiators before the war? I would actually really like to have seen that.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.