Good/popular video games that you can't stand for some reason

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Spin-Out, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll start with this - I hate God of War. The thing is, I actually like the gameplay, but I can't stand the franchise for other reasons. Reason number one: Kratos. He's a completely unlikeable asshole. He wasn't so bad in the first game, but in the third and especially second he was a selfish, bloodthirsty monster who was just as bad as Ares was in the first game. Thing is, because he's "badass," everyone seems to love him, while I think he's not only one of the most overrated video game protagonists (I refuse to call someone as vicious as him a hero), but he's one of the most unpleasant characters I've ever encountered. The rest of the cast, befitting its Greek mythology roots, is mostly comprised of other assholes - to be honest, I feel that the game's world would have been better off if Kratos had died at the end of the first game. I can take anti-heroes like Wolverine or Grimlock, because they at least have redeeming aspects to them - under competent writers, Wolvie and Big Grim are at least trying to be good. Hell, Deadpool tries to be a hero, too, despite being a psychopath. But Kratos? Any time there's a point where the game has an opportunity to redeem him, it's thrown away. Even his
    killing himself to release Hope was more of a middle finger to Athena rather than any real act of sacrifice.
    . Selfish, vicious, hateful and hypocritical, Kratos is the reason I can't stand God of War.

2. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    God of War

Super Mario Galaxy

Gears of War

3. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

World of Warcraft

I'm sure people will agree with me on that one

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Final Fantasy. Gears of War.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much every first party Nintendo game excluding Mario and Pokemon. I feel so bored playing Zelda.

6. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    COD

EDIT: also, any sports games and Angry Birds. Angry Birds is a complete rip off of every castle crushing game ever, COD is literally the same damn thing over and over again, and although i play sports, i don't like playing sports games. nearly as boring as watching sports. i also don't like Skyrim or any game like it. i like freedom and a chance to customize my character, but not too much freedom

7. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    Halo
    World of Warcraft
    Gears of War
    God of War
    Need For Speed
    Elder Scrolls
    Black Ops
    Legend of Zelda

8. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any FPS games.

9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Any fps besides halo and boarderlands.

10. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Elder Scrolls and World of Warcraft mainly because I'm not a fan of those kinds of games.

As far as God of War goes, yes all the characters are jerks. To be fair, everyone was a jerk in the mythology. I'm still baffled as to why everyone sees Hercules as a good guy in just about everything. I think the new game should have featured a new protagonist that was more sympathetic.

The new Medal of Honor games. Everyone says that every Call of Duty game is the same. At least they have Call of Duty in the title of each one. The last two Medal of Honor games have been a mix of Battlefield and Call of Duty elements and it doesn't feel like it has its own identity. Also, oversaturation about killed the WWII shooter and I think that the same could happen to shooters set in modern day.

11. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Gears of War-I was curious about this series sometime after the second game was released. I downloaded the first two games (along with their respective DLC), figuring it'd be just as good as Halo, and I played both campaigns. This was about $60 total sucked down the crapper that I'll never get back. Apparently the people over at Epic Games have never seen any actual colors. I know it's supposed to be grim and gritty, but for God's sake, Fallout 3 and New Vegas pulled off the sepia-tone look better than Gears of War. The music is generic, the story is generic, the gameplay is generic, the art design is generic, everything is just bland.

God of War-While I like some hack-and-slash games, God of War just bored me, and I only played the third game! Everyone in this game comes off like total asses, but like Rusty24 said, many Greek gods were jerks in the mythology. I think the reason why some people see Hercules (or rather Heracles as he's supposed to be called) as a hero is because they saw the Disney film, which portrays him as Superman. I honestly wish I could sympathize with Kratos, but let me put it this way: seeing the ending on Youtube filled me with a sense of content.

Final Fantasy-I'm going to get one thing out of the way here: I do not hate Final Fantasy. I only hate every FF game since VIII, partially because of Spoony's review on it, as well as X. VII to me was basically the last good Final Fantasy game because of how good the stories and characters were. And then Square decided to screw with that cash cow by making sequels and prequels for it. Console RPGs these days just can't compare to the classics, and the Final Fantasy's games these past few years are living proof.

Kingdom Hearts-It's Final Fantasy meets Disney. Do I really need to say anything else?

Call of Duty-This one requires a bit of explanation. Back in 2008, I got an Xbox 360 for my birthday, and the first game I had for it was Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. As far as FPS went at the time, I kind of enjoyed it....for five days. Then when I got Halo 3, I immediately switched to that game. I still played CoD4, I just didn't play it as much as I did with Halo 3. I skipped on World at War because I liked my FPS to take place in either the present day or in the future; I had no idea why I didn't want to play any of the other CoD games that took place in the past. Then Modern Warfare 2 comes out. Admittedly, I didn't like this game as much as I liked the first Modern Warfare game. Something about it just felt off. It wasn't until Black Ops was announced when I realized that the Call of Duty games that I played were essentially the same damn thing, only different. You can immediately argue that many (if not all) games do that, but some games do it right. Call of Duty barely adds anything new other than weapons with each game that comes out. That, and the online matches are downright dreadful. I've put up with many jerks over Xbox Live for the past four years, but I've never seen so many bratty children play an M-rated game franchise like this. If there's anyone here who owns an M-rated game, but aren't 17 or older, do yourself, your parents, and everyone else a favor and return that game. You're not old enough to be playing games like Call of Duty or Halo or Gears of War. I'm sorry if I sound like a Negative Nancy, but play games that are tailored for your age. It's rated MATURE for a reason. The kids playing M-rated games are anything but.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Zelda
    Elder scrolls franchise

13. darkunor

darkunor Banned

I won't necessarily say can't stand but more of couldn't care less and have never aroused any kind of curiousity in me whatsoever;

Halo
    God of War
    Metal Gear
    Bioshock
    Gears of War
    Castlevania (post SNES)
    Resident Evil (Except 4)
    Assassin's Creed
    GTA, San Andreas, Saints Row, RED Dead Redemption (Hate them all!)
    Mega Man (post NES)

14. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

Final Fantasy after FFIX. It nothing but style over substance nowadays. Not the mention the character designs circa FFVIII are terrible.

Kingdom Hearts. The series has some of the crappiest character designs I've seen, the story is fanfiction-quality and the fandom is batshit insane.

Gears of War. It's alright, but that franchise has one of the ugliest artstyles I've seen and the gameplay isn't that great.

God of War. Again, it's decent, but I felt that Devil May Cry 1 and 3, the first two modern Ninja Gaiden games and Bayonetta are better action games, not to mention Kratos is an asshole.

Call of Duty. It's the same ugly, simplistic, banal tripe every year.

Assassin's Creed. The only things I like about that series is the music and Altair.

Skyrim. It's a streamlined, dumbed down Oblivion reskin. This game did not deserve all of the GotYs.

Grand Theft Auto IV. The missions are boring and the shooting and driving controls suck.

Mario. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the last worthwhile Mario game.

Soul Calibur after SCII. Soul Calibur III could have be amazing if it wasn't so buggy and unbalanced, SCIV is a casualized, watered down abomination and SCV is a polished turd.

Tekken. I prefer Virtua Fighter and early Soul Calibur more.

Resident Evil. It hasn't been good since Resident Evil 4.

Dead Rising. The controls are more broken than Marvel vs. Capcom 2's roster, Otis is the most annoying sidekick since Fi or Mega Man X5's Alia and the survivor AI is more brain dead than the zombies. Dead Rising 2 is a major improvement and fixed everything that was wrong with the first game

Anything Blizzard makes nowadays. I don't care about World of Warcraft and Diablo III is a travesty.

Anything Bioware makes nowadays. Dragon Age: Origins was their last good game.

Any Sports game. The only sports games I liked were NBA Jam, SSX3 and the first four Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games.

15. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Elder Scrolls
    Halo
    Street Fighter/Tekken/most fighting games
    FIFA
    Anything Zelda (except Ocarina of Time)

16. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

Halo. The story is boring, the character and vehicle designs are ugly and uninspired, the animation is mediocre, and overall the aesthetic is just dull and uninteresting. The whole thing looks like it belongs squarely in the nineties and is missing only a rocking MIDI metal guitar soundtrack.

Halo 4 and ODST seem a little better though.

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    It's mainly Halo and Gears of War. Halo stopped doing anything for me when I had to play it on XBox and Gears of War just plain shits me to tears.

Final Fantasy irks me but only because outside of Pokemon and XCOM, turn based combat like their is no fun. Now if it had combat like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, man I'd be all over that shit.

18. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

Assassin's Creed is another one I don't like. The controls are awful, combat is boring, animation is janky, and the cities up until 3 were obviously put together from a construction set using extremely obvious pieces.

19. opheadtaker

opheadtaker Gaseous sycophant

Any call of duty

Any sports games

20. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

Pokemon.

Take 3 steps.
    Random encounter, a grass type.
    I choose a fire type.
    Enemy has no chance, easy win.
    Take 3 steps.