Good places to hunt for 3rd party in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Byrin, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Byrin

Byrin Lim Lao Peh

Hi , im currently in the capital city of the land of the rising sun for a week's worth of holiday. Im wondering if any kind local or travel veteran can drop a few gd recommendations as to where i can find 3rd party stuff. I've been camping at akihabara and looted through Mandarake and Radiohall. Cool places, more suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

2. nihilist98

nihilist98 Well-Known Member

Nakano Broadway has a Mandarake with the largest Transformers collection from what I can recall; have been there once only and was impressed with the offering compared to what's available at the Akiba branch.

Can't recall if there were that many 3P items. But if you've got the time, I'd say drop by there. Take the train to Nakano station and you'll have to walk about 200-300m to get to the building.

3. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    super jealous. :/

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gotta ask, why would you want to pick up 3PCs in Japan, Tokyo of all places? This isn't the cheapest place to pick up those sorts of things. Takara Tomy products? Maybe (they're pricey too), but 3PCs?

I'm not in Tokyo, I'm down in western Japan, but the shops down my way want a lot for what they've got. I'm better off order from vendors overseas, which is why I order from Captured Prey, PSX and Robot Kingdom. The only things that felt like a bargain, and just barely, are Maketoys products from Upgradecommander.com.

Everything in and around Tokyo is freakin' Expensive, I can't imagine the shops there are offering any 3PC products for a fair price:/

5. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I would second Transformed i.e. Tokyo is freaking expensive. Want some regularly priced 3rd party? Fly to Hong Kong :) 

If you have time though, do the following non Transformer related activity: Tokyo Great Cycling Tour

I miss Japan.

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Agreed. Love Tokyo but hell is it expensive (the missus and I plan to head back there later this year). Third party figures will most likely be cost prohibitive unless it's MakeToys (since MT is actually based in Japan from what I can figure). Most 3P products are designed and produced in China or Hong Kong, by comparison, so if you want cheaper 3P prices, those are the places to go, as others have mentioned. But cheap Takara Masterpiece prices, Japan is where it's at.

7. Byrin

Byrin Lim Lao Peh

Actually im in tokyo for just 6 days, after which i will fly straight to hong kong for another 4 days.:)  i dont intend to buy much in tokyo but its good to just window shop and spot the pieces that wouldnt otherwise retail in Singapore.

Maketoys is cheaper in hongkong. I spotted giant at mandarake akiba today and its not cheap. Neither is Genesis, Planet x. It was going for SGD 450 or so.

Thanks for the tip on nakano broadway, going to google it now.

8. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Will you be going to Osaka as well? You can probably make a day trip using bullet train (Shinkansen) and go to Den Den Town. I actually think you'll see more Transformers (not necessarily 3rd party) there.

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a lot of second hand toy stores in Den Den Town--they come and go. Yellow Sub Marine and the the first floor of Vox often have a mix of old and new Transformers.

I can't remember the name for the life of me, but there's a game/toy store near McDonald's that has a bunch of Transformers on the second floor. Also on the same side of the street is toy second hand toy store that typically has some cool finds (not just Transformers).

To be honest, I think you're better off combing through Yahoo Auctions...

10. das_hermit

das_hermit Decepticons forever!

Capsule G-1. Opposite is Jungle. Close nearby is Hero Gangu, which is pricey but has a pretty good range.
    There's also 2 Mandarakes, one in Shinsaibashi near Amemura and one in Umeda. They're the best price-wise but it's very much luck of the draw as to what you'll find on any given day.
    Not sure where Yellow Submarine is, I mostly go off this. There's also a Tokyo guide @Byrin.

If you're ever coming up this way @Transformed, send me a message if you want a meet-n-greet/shopping tour.:) 

11. Byrin

Byrin Lim Lao Peh

Leaving for nakano broadway now. From the pictures and the instantly recognisable glass roof, i realised i was there 24 years ago as a kid with my parents on tour. To the japanese on this forum, you guys have got a great country and enviable culture.

12. nihilist98

nihilist98 Well-Known Member

Enjoy yourself there. Some pictures would be great if you can manage :thumb 

13. Buster D

Buster D Well-Known Member

Upgradecommander started charging similar prices for MT stuff as they do for other 3P stuff pretty recently, around when Trash Talk came out. There was a notice on their site that vaguely explained it, but I can't find it now. I think it just said they're no longer able to offer the lower prices, without giving a specific reason.

My Japanese dealer friend also says that MT aren't actually Japanese, but Taiwanese (he also says most 3P staff are Taiwanese). He goes to Taiwan and Hong Kong every so often so I assume he knows what he's talking about, but obviously I don't have proof so take as you will.

14. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be sure to do that:)  Thanks for the link, I see some places that I didn't know about.

Edit:

Taiwanese, huh? Interesting.

I noticed the rising costs at Upgradecommander.com with the re-release of Giant--guess I missed the notice.

Their prices, I felt, was all part of Maketoys' universal pricing scheme or at least, that's how I was looking at it.

Upgradecommander.com's prices for all other 3PCs are, well, let's just say, the skies the limit:eek: 

15. Byrin

Byrin Lim Lao Peh

Best prices and collection of tf spotted at 2nd floor of nakano broadway, one of the many mandarakes. Hercules going for 38000 yen. Citizen stack first run going at 16000 yen. The vintage g1 stuff is expensive. A 2nd hand worn out Victory Saber is going for 16000 yen i think. I also spotted a Catilla in original packaging and some action masters.