Good ol forwarded emails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red04Cobra, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Well-Known Member

Every day at work when I check my email I end up getting at least two to three forwarded messages from faculty or staff members in the school district I work in. About 70% of the time it's forwarded jokes or things of that nature. Now we have a "strict" policy of email only being used for school/business related purposes, but practically everyone abuses it. What bothers me the most is when ignorant people forward messages like the one below to over 2000 email addresses.

Now come one, I know that this tugs on a person's heart strings, but really... Don't you think the reader would have a clue that something doesn't quite add up? Did a quick search on Snopes, found a page with the information. Took like 15 seconds of my time. Anyhow, I copied the link and sent it to the person who forwarded that to the ENTIRE school system to show her it was fake. I do wonder if I'll get a reply though...

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, you'll get a reply. In the form of increased SPAM.

3. Red04Cobra

Well this is only the second time i've pointed out something like that to someone I work with. The first was a girl i'm friend's with who's a Technology teacher, she forwarded something similiar, so I sent her a polite note telling her that it's fake and what not. She replied that she just couldn't believe that someone would make something like that up, and thanked me for showing her Snopes. It's just frustrates me that these are educators doing this type of stupid crap. It amazes me how gullable these people are.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Send this back:

My dear e-mail friend!

I thank you for having sent this to me at my e-mail! I am very much in support of cancer child, but have found this to be FRAUD OF THE WORST. This money does in fact not go to cancer childs, it is not even existing! I must ask you to please have sent this back to whomever you have gotten receipt from, that the goal is to return to the place of fraud, and send to it a message. THAT MESSAGE IS THAT CANCER IN THE CHILD IS NO PLACE TO JOKE.

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    My mom and my sister are the worst about sending me stuff like this, and other various crap emails. It angers me. :mad 

6. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Same here, but my girlfriends and co-workers are even WORSE.

I usually reply with a snappy comment and link to said fraud story from snopes.com. Lets just say I never get an e-mail like that from that same sender again :lol 

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I get far right-wing 'jokes' about Democrats and terrorists from a half-dozen soldiers in my Nat'l Guard unit, who believe that having my Army email address means I want to hear from them daily.

The worst are the monstrous attachments which eat up my Inbox if not cleaned out regularly.

8. BadJeff

BadJeff Bite my shiny metal ass!

There's a few ladies in my extended family that always forward me those BS warning type emails..... Razors on gas pump, cell phones the burn my brain, Mr Clean erasers that burn off kids skin, what to do in case of a grease fire, Bill Gates will send me a cheque for forwarding this email.... all that shit drives me nuts. Keep it to yourself, I live by my common sense and it's worked well this far.....then again, for years I've felt that "common sense" isn't so common anymore...

9. Red04Cobra

Ohh yea, I love those with the 5+ meg video attachments sent out to a few hundred different mailboxes.

You know, it's funny because all the staff have to pass a basic email course which asks them simple questions about how to use email before we set up their mailbox. I think we need to add a proper email etiquette and common sense test as well.

10. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes...but make it for anyone signing up for any email address anywhere. Yahoo, GMail, Road Runner- you should have to pass a basic skills and netiquette course before being issued an email address. Kinda like a driver's license for the information superhighway. On second thought...does anyone still use 'information superhighway' anymore?

11. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    That's almost as bad as the 'Microsoft will start charging for MSN unless this gets forwarded to 10 billion people' or whatever emails I still sometimes receive. Senders of such emails usually get a flaming.

They've been doing the rounds for so long, I remember when they were about ICQ!

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    See, I don't even get these "boo be scared" crap stories via e-mail...I have the pleasure of having them told to me DIRECTLY by my father-in-law, who never turns off the local news.

Ugh.

13. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I work at a multinational bank's headquarters, and twice since I have been working here I've had to reply with a follow up to one of these kind of messages being forwarded to the entire department by some daft PA or secretary who obviously makes up for their lack of sense by having increased gullibility.

That sentence seems too long.

Anyways, I think one of them was some twaddle about immigrants wielding chloroform in Tesco's car park, I forget what the other was. Similar, no doubt.

14. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

And this is why none of my friends or family have my e-mail address. It only gets used for business.