2D Artwork: Good Head/Bad Head?

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by uncledeadward, Aug 1, 2010.

1. uncledeadward

uncledeadward Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

LoL I know what you mean. I was taken back when I first saw how they were depicted in the almanac. They looked much more slapstick comedic relief than I was expecting. Though I'm fairly certain they were both just quick sketch ups for that one particular section of the Allspark Almanac.

And yeah, I am planning to do alt modes for Sunstreaker & Sideswipe. Since I do still have a proverbial fan-art itch to scratch, I'd like to draw up some model sheets for a theoretical season five of TFA that focused on a Headmaster story arc- Since I've always been a fan of that particular IDW story line.

BTW, big fan of your art :thumbs2: 

2. Da_Razorsaw

Da_Razorsaw Highwire ownz j00

News Credits:
    Again, just like to say these are amazing. ^^Sunstreaker is my favorite.

3. mitchsantona

mitchsantona Seeker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work. I dig them them.

4. uncledeadward

No one is specifically credited for drawing those two in the almanac. I agree with most that it probably wasn't Derrick J. Wyatt who came up with those designs. If Sunstreaker & Sideswipe were given official profiles among the others in the front of the book, then I'm sure Mr. Wyatt would have lent a hand. As it is, they are barely featured in the Allspark Almanac. They appear only as part of faux board game, along with other bots:

[​IMG]

5. uncledeadward

Thanks a lot. Actually, that was the look I was trying to go for. Sunstreaker is obviously that star quarter back that is a little too full of himself. And the Sideswipe is kinda the frat boy jock- Quick to impulse, but always means well.

Yeah, I know everybody has their own drawing style, but the way they're depicted in the Allspark Almanac is a little too goofy comedic sidekick for my tastes. Maybe 'cause they were both two of my favorites growing up, I think of them as bad-ass bots. You know, when Sunstreaker isn't making backroom deals with Starscream to torture humans LoL

LoLz! Dude, somebody really needs to start an organization to help bots kick their energon addictions!

Thanks a lot, man. More are on the way :thumbs2: 

Thanks, glad you like 'em.

I don't even want to know how an Autobot "purges" but I have a feeling it involves John Turturro LoL

6. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

3 words. Your's are better!!!!!

7. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Heh. Sideswipe has his own P.O.K.E. :) 

8. MustardwKetchup

MustardwKetchup Well-Known Member

*bows* Thank you much sir! ^^

I don't have the AAII, and basically that's the only page that I've seen so far. I plan on getting it, but you know with college... kind of sucks the moolah right out of ya. :p 

Season five huh? XD You do that. I assume that you're probably not going to stop at Sunstreaker and Sideswipe though. :3

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    How you got goofy comedic sidekick from a couple of small, quick doodles astounds me.

10. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

uhhh, if you could please redesign that head near the overlord panel, because if that is overlord he is UUGGGLY

11. uncledeadward

Dude, I hear that! Over the summer I've been working as a Pharmacy Tech, but come September, I go back to finish up my schooling to become a Pharmacist. I don't have to tell you I'm enjoying what free time I have left :thumbs2: 
    And yes, that free time involves some fan art beyond just the Lambo Twins.

12. uncledeadward

LoL You mean to tell me that when you look at Sideswipe, as he is depicted in the Allspark Almanac, you see a Brain Surgeon or a bad-ass Cyber Ninja?

Maybe my call is light years off base, but for me, it's all about the eyes. It relates to the simple fact that humans find big eyes cute. Such as how one would never see a young character such as Bumblebee drawn with the tired, world weary of Kup. Large eyes equals nonthreatening.
    Now often in animation and comics, large eyes are given to characters as a way to easier express emotion, such as in Anime. However, in American animation, large eyes/pupils are used to represent a childlike purity (like TFA Jetfire) or more often than not, a low intelligence (like Stimpy or Orko) especially when the show is marketed towards children (Spongbob Squarepants). And voilà, goofy comedic relief.

13. uncledeadward

LoLz It does take a little getting used to seeing that military beret on Hound.

14. Da_Razorsaw

Da_Razorsaw Highwire ownz j00

News Credits:
    Um, I dunnow if you saw my PM, and it's alright if you don't, but do you take commissions sir? Or do requestions? I'd be interested in, err, requesting one. ^^; I don't mean to be an imposition though.

15. BlackJaguar27

BlackJaguar27 Well-Known Member

Like I said on dA, they look very awesome. Especially Sideswipe's helmet! :D 

16. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    your designs are much better :) 

17. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Yeah, I have to admit your's look a lot more thought out then the little doodles that ended up in the Almanac.

Some of those non-show heads were a bit iffy.

18. uncledeadward

Thanks for the love :D 

Glad you like 'em

Yeah, you almost have to wonder how familiar with the character the artist(s) were 'cause some are way off in left field.