Gold Plastic Syndrome and Beast Wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lord Black Cat, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Lord Black Cat

Lord Black Cat Combat Hero Shadow

I finally found my bin of Beast Wars toys again yesterday. I briefly opened the bin and quickly got distracted by Transmetal Cheetor. I was surprised to see that he was still intact! A little bit of dust, but otherwise not bad.

I was under the impression that a lot of the Transmetal toys chip, peel, or otherwise disintegrate.

My question is this: Which toys from Beast Wars are the most likely to start falling apart? I think I need to prepare myself for some potential heartbreak.

2. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
  3. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Grimlock (Dinobot mold) mainly and Torca. If you have and BW II or BW Neo from Japan, then Randy has serious gold plastic. I put mine back in the box to never be reopened. All transmetals are suspect to flaking, but I believe Rattrap is the worst. I may be wrong on that though and someone will most likely correct me.

EDIT - Oh, and I forgot about Transmetal Megs brown (sorta gold) plastic, but that one is hit or miss.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    GPS and chrome peeling/flaking are unrelated phenomena. Chrome coming off is because the vac metal isn't bonded properly to the plastic substrate. GPS happens when the small metal flakes mixed into some kinds of sparkly plastic cause the plastic itself to degrade and eventually crumble.

Two of the Transmetals most affected by chrome flaking are Tm2 Scourge and whatever that basics scarab beetle was named. (Slipping my mind.)

GPS affects Silverbolt (Magnaboss component), BW Neo Randy, Torca, Grimlock, and the waist joint in TM Megatron. (Probably. It's prone to snapping on the original but his redecos don't have the problem.)

5. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

If you have Transmetal Megatron and he isn't already dust, carefully remove him from your bin, put him in an airtight vacuum, and lock him away.

Other offenders include Torca, and Beast Wars Neo Randy, who is the gold version of Razorbeast. Just search Youtube to see how bad Randy is.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    GPS is not related to the chrome flaking Transmetal toys suffer from. Transmetals and their chrome (really vac-metal plastic) don't break or disintegrate, they simply chip off as the vac-metal paint loses it's grip. It's sporadic and depends on conditions, though. All my TMs have very little or no chipping at all.

GPS is entirely different, and actually breaks figures. It's not shiny gold plastic that does it, but the metallic sparkly gold plastic. However it isn't limited to just gold plastic, but is most common due to the added reflective flakes needed to make gold plastic look metallic. And no, Transmetal Megatron does not suffer from GPS, he just has defective weak brown plastic. Anywhere there's brown, he can break. I own three of him and each has broken. Metals Megatron, the Japanese version, uses different plastic and is fine, as is Armada Predacon.

7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Cheetor was not the worst offender for Chrome Cancer. That would primarily fall to Rattrap and Rhinox. Also, the later Fox Kids releases don't seem to have the problems that the first releases had.

Mind you, Chrome Cancer can be found in Beast Machines toys as well...notably ultra-class Jetstorm.

Incidentally, I also recently discovered Brave Series Thunder Baron may also have issues with his chromed chest piece as I'm seeing some stress marks indicating the paint is trying to separate. :( 

8. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero I am a warrior

Ebay:
    BW Grimlock, Silverbolt (the eagle from Magnaboss), Torca, and TM Megatron are the most notorious BW figures to succum to Gold Plastic Syndrome that I can think of. None of the other Transmetals were prone to GPS but some were prone to having the chrome finish flake off. I think Rattrap was the worst. Most of my Transmetals have held up pretty well over the years, but I still handle them pretty gingerly. I have never heard of any major QC issues with TM Cheetor.

9. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I've heard Mutants Soundwave is prone to breaking but reports seem mixed if it's GPS or just brittle plastic.

10. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Magnaboss Silverbolt is effected :(  I learned that the hard way.

11. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Torca and the greenish Megabolt. Not horrible, but any balljoint is dust.

12. Coconut

Coconut Well-Known Member

Randy (japanese razorbeast), TM2 megatron (US version) and Torca have it it pretty bad.

13. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    my TM Megatron is in 2 pieces because of GPS. Magnaboss, while I was transforming him, a gold peg broke off in a hole making him useless. and of course, the most infamous GPS...... G2 Slingshot. he is in like 14 pieces because of GPS

14. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Electro is arguably worse. GPS and a poorly designed rubber band waist.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No, he's in two pieces because of weak plastic combined with a lack of structural integrity.

Not every toy that breaks has GPS.

16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, may Torca broke. It was around the gun piece, IIRC. Thankfully, enough, I have the BWN Elephunta figure as well.

Now, why can't GPS hit the bad figures instead, I don't know. I don't think anyone would cry if Injector had crumbled into millions of pieces.

17. Nems

Nems Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Both my TM Megatrons have broken. My TM2 Scourge was flaking right out of the package. The rest of my TMs only have the usual scuffing from playing with them when I was a kid.

Torca is still in one piece.

18. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

As far as chrome flaking goes, my two worst offenders are TM2 Scourge and the Fox Kids version of TM Airrazor.

19. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Plastic off fumen and if sealed with out reguler airing those gases can do damage

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With TM Megatron, it could be either or both, especially if other stuff is getting crumbly too.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016