going to see v for vendetta tonight...for free

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Mar 13, 2006.

1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thx for sharing this mate. my own comment was based on the context of previous debacles, but that really sheds light on the immediate situation. good call.

2. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I loved the film.... then again I haven't read the Graphic Novel for years...

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hahaha...awesome sig pic, Fairy Princess :lol 

4. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Now that's funny! :D 

I loved the movie! It made me want to get a mask and stand in front of the White House. I thought the masks and the march was a great protest, but I'm not sure that blowing up buildings was the best way to make a point. I assume the book doesn't make V out to be such a hero.

5. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Seen it and loved it! I could clearly see the signs of comparison of the U.S. government. I have two questions though.. first anybody see the Alan Moore looking guy at the bar when V first appeared on tv? The seemed to center him a few times. I don't beleive in coincendence especially after this movie. Second I swear when they showed the U.S. situation I seen a sign about Bush. It was real fast though. As for the trailers, theX3 trailer looked pretty good, the supes was Ok, and the fast and furious look decent but damn that dude has the worst southern accent I have ever heard! If anybody can help answer my q's, thank you.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm reposting something that just occured to me, while discussing the movie on another non-comics board:

"regardless of what your own political stand is, what makes V so compelling is how he treads the line between anarchist and revolutionary. his ideology IS meant to create division, and the fact that you may fall on either side of the fence makes you 2nd guess your position.

thats what so brilliant abt. its not abt which side your on. its abt how comfortable you are sitting whichever side of the fence your sitting on, and the fact that he (i'd hope) succeeds in challenging it."

7. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

I went to see this tonight solely because of the names of John Hurt and Hugo Weaving, two actors for whom I have the utmost respect. It was nice to see the first chew the scenery as a dictator (all the better if you recall his role in 1984), and to see the second get a chance to flash some range (let's face it, neither Agent Smith nor Agent Elrond were especially dynamic characters), even if he was behind a Guy Fawkes mask the whole time.

The film itself was straightforward and stylish, as expected. There were a few creative liberties taken - for example, Guy Fawkes didn't get off with just a hanging. :lol  I'd be curious to know our British members' thoughts.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    there was a 1984 movie?

weaving's seminal gig was supposed be the interview. i have yet to see it.

9. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0087803/

There was another version, made in 1956, but that one was crap.

The DVD is a bitch to obtain; last time I checked, it started at $60 used on Amazon.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    saw it and loved it :D 

i'm gonna be checking out the comic now that i've been intriguedby the story of the movie. should be a good read

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Went to see V today, loved it. The problem was the sound went almost totally out right when V was explaining everything to the inspector and didn’t come back until he was finished talking with the secret police guy (the first time, not the *blank*). That was pretty irritating.

12. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm just thinking, the fact that the movie is hardly discussed critically here is due to the political discussion it engenders. where have you guys gotten you fix?

ive been hanging out at chud and rottentomatoes. the comic forums have been to anal in regards to the adaptation.

13. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Was there a connection between V and the guy who hosted the show? They both made her the eggs in toast thing for breakfast and they both had a bunch of contraband. Where they brothers? Lovers? Did the comic make any connections?