God Ginrai/PowerMaster Optimus Prime reissue

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by AkioRed, Jan 12, 2022.

1. AkioRed

AkioRed Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but recently I bought the 2012 reissue of God Ginrai, and as I was messing with it the joints on one of the ankles snapped (this thing had stupidly tight joints out of the box). The knees are also worringly tight and I'm afraid they might break eventually too, so I was considering on buying a separate cab for replacement parts. Does anyone know how the legs work and how easily you can replace them? I'm attaching a pic of the part I'm talking about. Thanks anyone in advance.

upload_2022-1-13_1-38-5.png

2. Reaper6

Reaper6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It'd be helpful if you could post a pic of the break.

3. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    Were you planning on getting a spare cab for parts? Or to replace? I’d suggest a cab for replacement parts, only cuz the reissue would theoretically be in better shape, Altho the breakage doesn’t give much confidence. Also the colors may be slightly different too. I had my original PMOP and did a few leg mods to him as a kid, then got this same reissue and did the same mods. I only remember screws holding the legs together, altho I can’t remember if the hip area has any pins. But back then toys were simpler, and easier to assemble/disassemble. Try taking apart what you can and post pix. I can help more if needed. Depending on how it’s broken, it may even be able to be repaired

4. AkioRed

Here's the pic:
    [​IMG]
    My idea was to get a spare part only to replace the legs/feet, or the entire lower section in case it gets worse. The reissue itself is in great condition, this was completely on me for forcing the feet despite how tight they were. Repairing in probably impossible, I doubt superglue can fix it and I don't have epoxy. I did gather the broken pieces just in case, tho:
    [​IMG]

Also, not blaming you guys but while unscrewing stuff another part broke lol
    [​IMG]

5. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Seems the plastic is a bit brittle. Not sure why. The ankle part will need replacement. No glue will repair a piece that needs to be moved, like hinges. It will just stress and break again. The post could be repaired but if you’re getting another cab you may wanna hold off anyway. I repair post breaks by sanding both sides down, then putting a screw in one end halfway. Then cut the head off and screw the piece back together. Or maybe get a longer screw that can go thru the broken post completely.

• Like Like x 1
  6. edjodapro2468

edjodapro2468 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    seems like the plastic is oddly brittle, does your temperature fluctuate frequently? or maybe humidity? it could also be a kind of gps on blue plastic. I would re 3d print the lower legs as they are very plain and simple as well as not huge. that knee screw would be a good piece to replace it at. Superglue and epoxy both normally fail unless you've just got him there for display never transforming because it cant take much strain.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AkioRed

I believe the problem really was the tightness. I had to put A LOT of force to move stuff. Same with the knee, but after I unscrewed the lower half for these pics it got a bit looser.
    Also I don't have a 3d printer lol
    I tried superglue just for the heck of it but yeah, it doesn't hold up. There is a dirty cheap one on yahoo auctions so I just made a bid on it. At least I've seen how the legs work so replacing the stuff shouldn't be much of a problem.

8. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Check out toy polli on YouTube he does a lot of repair and points you in the right direction for plastic welds and strengthening parts. Also check ebay for junkers they can usually be had for under ten for just the cab

Hope this helps and good luck

• Like Like x 1
  9. AkioRed

Thanks everyone for the replies, the replacement cab arrived and the "surgery" is done. Unfortunately the color matching isn't perfect but at least everything works again (although the joints are still a tad scarily tight imo).
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Glad you got a working fix! Is it possible to replace all the blues with your spare cab? Not ideal but at least the cab will match itself. Otherwise it looks good

• Like Like x 1
  11. AkioRed

I mean, it is possible, but the spare cab I got was a dirty cheap one and it's full of scratches and the interior is rusty too (due to the spring located inside the thighs). I display mine as God Ginrai anyway so it's not like I'll see the replaced part that often :p 

• Like Like x 1