Gobot 3 pack

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Skycutter, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Pteraxadon

Pteraxadon RirFib supporting pterosaur

I'm still kinda confused why he has a decpticons emblem dispite being a guardian

2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde クインテッサ星人

News Credits:
    I think out of all the Go-bots the one I'd like to see get an updated toy the most is Herr Fiend / Dr. Go, there's others but if I had to pick one it'd probably be him.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I need a Bugbite last year...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he's a spy

• Like Like x 6
  5. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    There is a thread in Toyark about Machinerobo. It's cool that Hb is doing a Gobot version release like the homage to the E-Hobby one.:) 

6. RoadCaesar

RoadCaesar Diaclone Clone TFW2005 Supporter

Most likely Vanguard. Although Scratch could work as well (if they're using the Tonka characters as the template instead of the variant reality like the ones in this set.)

Always has been - in the Tonka/Ruby Spears version anyway. Crasher, Small Foot, and some others too.

This seems to be where Hasbro is leaning for now since the Machine Robo designs are less of a priority due to the licensing acquisition being for the Tonka names/likenesses instead.

Same complaint from me. Seems all the GoBots other than Crasher have been based on the versions seen in the mural and/or eHobby versions.

Nothing. It's a meme.

GoBots was "first" to market, but the Ruby Spears cartoon was very hokey schlock more in line with Saturday Morning Cartoons (Shirt Tales, Turbo Teen, Superfriends) than the more serious/mature 80s icons like Sunbow cartoons, anime ports (Voltron, Robotech, Star Blazers.)

Hasbro DEMOLISHED Tonka's marketing efforts with super saturation in an attempt to "win" - despite Tonka and Hasbro using established Japanese market designs rebranded with new lore and names.

Tonka also mismanaged consumer expectations. Hasbro had a more cohesive and uniform collection among the various brands that they adapted. Tonka was slapping the GoBots branding on just about anything they could find that even resembled a robot. This produced some of the most hideous and incongruous inclusions like a Clown colored "toy ray gun" that looked like a robot clown, gimmicks motorized toys like Zod, a pop up snake car, and a pair of ridiculous 6 wheeled tanks that flipped up to shoot ping pong balls.

And while Tonka initially gained significant market saturation with their price point, complexity, and variety, they weren't able to compete with the Transformers size.

Hasbro bargain priced products were the Mini bots, which were incredibly lacking and inferior next to their GoBot competitors in the same size and price group. GoBots had accessories, complexity, die cast and chrome parts, and rubber tires (on many.) The main GoBots collection was as complex and elaborate as the Transformers Autobot cars and Deception Jets.

But Tonka/GoBots at larger scales (Psycho, Stacks, Baron Von Joy) had bizarre designs, bland and uniform transformations, and didn't blend in with the smaller, primary products. The hero and villain spaceship bases also felt out of place with goofy simplicity and ridiculous American toy designer robot heads.

Even the spectacular Power Warrior suits/ships couldn't save GoBots compared to the Transformers combiners. While the Puzzler combiner was unique in that all of the parts were integrated into the component bots, it still lacked a "cool" factor up against the marketing tsunami of Hasbro combiners and their cartoon appearances.

tl;Dr: Hasbro had better marketing and the "GoBots are knock off Transformers" viral marketing/playground mockery won out. At the time, it wasn't as relevant to kids like us who were around for both product launches. But once Tonka lost momentum, Hasbro went in for the kill and let Tonka scrambling to license anything and everything to slap a label on and get on a shelf.

There are multiple YouTuber deep dives (properly researched) and at least a couple documentaries (using the term loosely) that have covered it. Secret Galaxy (Dan Larson) also did a video on both separately.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Mrhawkprime

Mrhawkprime Robomerc

The only one missing from this photo op is bug bite who we already got in generation select as a mercenary, though that means we\'re only missing one go bot at this point from the ehobby set that being bad boy which used the power glide mold since Hasbro, Has been trying to complete teams all we gotta do is wait for a new power glide to finish this team off.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

No. Someone apparently told that to JTPrime, but they were wrong. It wouldn't be possible anyways - you can't just pop the head off and replace it.

Why not? Vamp's cool. Besides, they've done it before - Ripclaw from TFP Beast Hunters was a Vamp homage.

Nothing. It's just a rights issue. Hasbro bought Tonka, so they have the rights to all the names and fiction, but the original toys were licensed from Takara's competitor Bandei, which means Hasbro can't use the designs. That's essentially left the property in limbo except for the rare times they decide to do stuff like this, which was taken from eHobby using old prototype colors to make "new" characters.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

His original figure, despite being a Guardian, had the Renegade symbol as well. So they used that to say he was a spy, infiltrating the Decepticons and trying to keep Bad Boy and Bugbite from causing too much trouble

Bad Boy ended up joining a gang and Bugbite's done his whole lot of stuff

• Like Like x 2
  10. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
  11. DarkSkull

DarkSkull Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it's an old figure of WfC, but it's a goBot.

• Like Like x 5
  12. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do love the implication that since Bugbite went universe hopping, every version of Bugbite we see is (most likely) the same guy
    That's Road Ranger. He's from the Golden Disk Collection. Came in a 2-pack with Puffer.
    Yes, he is another eHobby Go-Bot.

• Like Like x 2
  13. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    Thanks. I have the Puffer & Road Ranger 2-pack. :oops: 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Samurhino

Samurhino Give me some creativity, slavishness is death

I commissioned a custom a while back for him. Based on ER Cliffjumper. Reminds me I need to contact the guy who did it for me, her needs to return the parts from a another custom he couldn't complete.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Agree in almost everything except it was HannaBarbera(RS is of course an alumnus from the former). Centurions, by RS was awesome btw despite it being marketed as a kids product. Now if only which is "if", Tonka used the MachineRobo anime (OT violence which is a norm for action oriented anime), who knows where it could have led "GoBots"? There can be only ONE no?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Neo-Primus

Neo-Primus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

I wonder how likely new GoBots would be handled?
    More like these E-Hooby designs or more like Velocitron Crasher?

Like, I could see them making a Leader-1 from ER Dirge.
    But I can't imagine he would keep the all grey color scheme.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  19. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sweet!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2