GMC Topkick To Be Discontinued

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Jun 8, 2009.

1. megaxz01

megaxz01 Transformer up and comer

News Credits:
    Yes, and they will... People just want to make something out of nothing.

They think TF movies were made like their precious cartoon 20 years ago.

Little to no story and continuity in characters.

Cartoon was basically a toy commercial to sell the toys (unlike cartoons today.)

So their nostalgia automatically tells them "hey geewun was all about selling the toys, so the movies are all about selling the cars."

I guess Ejector (the toaster bot,) is there to sell toasters... Until they discontinue that particular model of Toaster.

EDIT: Oh and RC cars like Wheelie. He'll be discontinued too, and there will never be a TF3. :/

2. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

this is the stupidest news story on the face of the planet. They can use any vehicle they want, regardless if it's in production or not.

christ.. look at Jetfire

3. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Not surprised the Topkick didn't do well. That vehicle is the definition of 'fuel inefficient'. When the economy went belly-up, what little market there would be for a mini-semi would have dried up. I'm not even sure the thing could have pulled a 5th wheel with as far as it was off the ground.

As for how this will negatively affect Ironhide? Given Ironhide's popularity and pedigree with the Transformers franchise, I suspect it won't affect him at all. Given he's a very militaristic bot, having him rescan a military vehicle as a new alt mode wouldn't be difficult to justify at all, plot wise, and if they decide not to... well it's hardly ILLEGAL to have a discontinued vehicle in a movie. If it has the GMC logo, it generates interest in GMC in the public, whether that particular truck is in production anymore or not, and I doubt GMC would object to that either way.

4. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

He will probably have a little less screentime period, not have much vehicle mode screentime, or just stay a robot for a lot. I heard that the Volt was canceled and that the Chevy Spark (Beat) and Trax were up in the air. Fortunately the Camaro doesn't seem to be going out of style. I think that the Camaro suits movie Bumblebee pretty well seeing how he isn't much like his G1 counterpart. He is a little but he is much more BA in the movies. A little Voltswagon Beetle wouldn't be enough.

Back to Ironhide, they will just have to keep the 2 or 3 Topicks that they have right now in some pretty good condition or just shoot the TF3 car only shots now while they have the chance. I don't want to see Ironhide go because his movie incarnation seems so cool and a bit better than his G1 IMO (sorry geewhunners)

5. jono

jono Prime

Ummm Prime is 1994 Peterbelt. I am sure Ironhide will be okay in his 2010 Topkick form for a while yet.

6. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I bet they'll just keep the vehicle they use for Ironhide now, and hopefully not blow it up!

7. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Yet another pathetically quick jump to the "geewuners are wrong!!" fallback argument. As if it has any place in this thread. You are attacking an argument that doesn't exist...

Nobody is saying that the movies are all about selling cars. They are saying that part of the movie is about selling cars. Product Placement is real you know. And, Bay loves it. If you'd take time to read this news posting, and the article it links to, you'd see the part that talks about Bay's deal with GM:
    He CLEARLY has an interest in doing such deals now, as with ROTF, and in the future, probably TF3. This is why there is talk about Ironhide not being the same alt-mode in TF3, and rightfully so.

I've read through this thread a number of times, and it's pretty obvious that people are completely confused about why others think Ironhide's alt-mode is going to change. No one here has claimed that they CAN'T use the Topkick (if they did I totally missed it somehow). They are claiming that it PROBABLY won't for the same reason I point out above. Bay will want whatever can be advertised so he can save money. If that means Ironhide ends up as a GMC Sierra, then so be it.

Yet, here we are with 4 pages of "Zomg the toaster got discontinued so it can't be used!!" jokes.

8. ManiactoaLaco

ManiactoaLaco Well-Known Member

I'd like to introduce you too Micheal Bay my friend...

Oh, and why! I love movie Ironhide! And his car is so pretty..

MTL

9. AlphaOmegaBlurr

AlphaOmegaBlurr Many paths to choose.

News Credits:
    Ironhide will be okay. He tell me.

10. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope that's to small he's equivilent in size to a f-650/750...^^

11. Burnout

Burnout Rogue Mercenary

Very True. They should just do what Grand Theft Auto Games do...make cars that look and sound similar but have differance in names and epparance but would easily be recognizeable as said character :)  BEsides now maybe he will scan a VAN or somethign simliar and be freakin RED!!

12. Smeg

Smeg Well-Known Member

They haven't had any problem using cars that weren't available yet (Bumblebee) or that never will be available (Sideswipe). I don't see why it should cause any problems if Ironhide returns as a Topkick in the future.

13. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Oh yeah haha

14. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

why not just keep him the same way? he doesn't need to be a new model for every movie.

15. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Only three of GM's vehicles are/will be able to be bought - Bumblebee, Skids, Mudflap.

Jazz - died as did Pontiac
    Ratchet - sold and became Chinese
    Ironhide - discontinued
    Sideswipe - will probably not be anything more than a prototype design
    Volt - company still debating whether to produce or not

16. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Bah they'll just reformat him like other TF's in the past. I mean blackout and megs were "dead" (yeah we all knew that wouldn't happen) and now they are back in TF2. Though I really liked the tough guy ironhide topkick.

17. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone actually seen a Topkick on the road? I was beginning to think it wasn't real to begin with. I've already seen two Camaros on the road, but never a Topkick!

18. Smeg

Smeg Well-Known Member

Scratch that. Skids and Mudflap are non-production concepts. Chevy plans to produce the Spark, which is based on the Beat (Skids) and may or may not be planned for America depending on who you ask. The Trax (Mudflap) isn't planned for production. And if you really want to get anal, Saleen Camaros (Bumblebee) ain't available either.

19. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    :bowdown:  . but but, where are you going to put this big badass topkick?! a regular garage wont be able to accomodate this monster! ;) 

20. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

Did they ever start selling topkicks?