Glass Wall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ssjkazer, Aug 30, 2018.

1. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    So for a while now i feel like there is a huge disconnect between me and other people i can see its there in every conversation ive ever had its like there is a Glass wall in front of me, all the feeling and connections to the people just seem to muffled yet i can hear and see everything just fine

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    In terms of what do you mean? I've always enjoyed talking to each and everyone of you and consider everyone on here my friends even if i don't know you in person. This fandom/love we all share together in transformers is special so not sure what you mean.

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    im meaning face to face with everyday people, while talking to them its like there is a glass wall in front of me filtering out stuff like emotions and im not talking about happy or sad or angry im talking about things that normally lead to them like annoyed or frustrated i just cant seem to read this on people its only once ive ticked them off do i have any idea i was saying something wrong

4. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

Might be an undiagnosed mental disorder.

I've had a few pop up in my bloodline, specifically with me, that I had no idea were coming.

Ya never know man...

5. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

I'm pushing 40, and lately I find myself just not able to focus on anybody. Like you, I see and hear them talking, but I just don't feel like paying attention. I call all my kids' friends Bill because I just don't feel like learning their names. Like I just can't be bothered. I got other shit to do.

6. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Sounds like you are just protecting yourself from the emotional connections that may wind up hurting you if you became invested. Like a defense mechanism. But you are just applying it to everyone, even people who may not hurt you.

It's just self protection. I do something similar.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That or a mild autism spectrum thingy

8. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I have similar problems but they're born out of other issues. I just try my best. I think if you go through life like that you'll be alright.

9. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    hmmm this is possible a few family members have Aspergers

10. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    If you're under 20 you should be able to get it diagnosed and get some therapy for it...

If you're older, you might be on your own like me, BUT...there is a lot of information online about such things, including a lot of videos by Aspies and other people on the spectrum which I've found very helpful.

--Moony

11. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    yeah well past the 20 mark

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What kind of people are you having these issues with? Co-workers? Strangers? Family? Do you have close friends or relations where you don't feel like this wall exists? Is this a new situation with people you feel you're previously been more open with?

People throw up barriers in certain interactions based on the perceived intimacy of the relationship, ie. the co-worker you spend a few hours with each day in a professional context isn't going to make themselves that emotionally available to you, just because of the nature of your relationship.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    As am I. I was told its possible to get a diagnosis when you're older (I got a tentative one from a VA social worker), but its harder and not entirely worth it because you're past the age where therapy would be helpful. Might make you eligible for some benefits, tho, so wouldn't hurt to look into it at least. Looking things up on my own, tho, I've found very helpful in at least answering the 'why am I this way' questions, and getting ideas for coping strategies.

--Moony

14. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    the interesting thing is i had a head injury when younger so everyone pointed and said my issues where because of it, you know the whole is flys like a duck swim like a duck it must be a duck, well in this case in think they where wrong lol, im thinking my best way to get though this glass wall is every time i feel its there i just bite the bullet and say exactly whats on my mind instead of holding back

15. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

I do the exact same thing.

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    You may find that saying everything and exactly whats on your mind doesn't help people get closer to you. Knowing when to hold back in a lot of conversations to avoid hurting or pushing people away can be just as important as being open with them.

From your first point, you made it sound like you were having trouble with understanding where others are coming from, is this an accurate understanding? If that's the case, I'm not sure that amplifying your own thoughts/feelings is going to solve the issue. If you feel like you've been repressing yourself in interactions and not letting people know how you really feel about things, then yes, its definitely worthwhile for you to explore how you can express yourself more openly and effectively, but I think it's important to look closely at what the issue you're describing actually is and how to address it.

17. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    yes i have alot of trouble understanding where others are coming from, i have no idea if im annoying them or not, i suppose that might be half the reason for me not saying what i feel because i dont want to say the wrong thing at the wrong time

18. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Could just be apathy.

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    What about my previous post? Is this a new thing or is this something that's always been the case?

20. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    sorry missed that, its kinda universal, except my family and my best friend, even my other friends who ive known for 10+ years, but my best friend has the same kinda issue so we can relate but neather of us have managed to work though it, as i get older it seems to be getting worse, though today i managed to punch though it and i just blurted out to them hey we should hang out whats your number and they gave it to me, it could just be a adult thing having trouble making new friends and meeting new people, to be honest i dont know.

on the internet i have time to think about what i want to say and how to say it so it doesnt seem to be to hard here but thats over a chat board even something like video calls though me off