Giving Up - TFSource Article

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It’s a depressing subject, giving up toy collecting, but it’s one that many have considered from time to time and even acted upon. One might be driven to the brink of surrender by finances, space, obsession, disinterest, priorities or a feeling of being overwhelmed. It can lead to feelings of liberation, or pangs of regret. As intensely personal as the collection itself, the reason to quit collecting depends on the person, the way in which that collection was built and maintained, and their circumstances or stage in life.

Giving Up | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good read,

The only thing I would add, Is another angle. I have a boy now, and Im starting to second guess this whole "daddy's toys" thing. Im not one of the closet collectors. Most people that know me know im into collecting.
    When I grew up, the only toys in the house were for kids. My dad built Models, and he didn't have any toys as a kid. I wonder if there are repercussions psychologically for a kid growing up with an adult toy collector.
    That is the only reason I have considered "giving up". I have always collected some sort of toy...So I have considered just keeping my MPs and Alts, and calling those "collectables" and getting rid of everything else. I don't want to just give it all to my son..Not that I wouldn't want him to have the toys, more of a "things must be earned" logic we're trying to instill.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Damn good read Maz. Really fascinating to read all of the different perspectives of collectors.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As somebody who's gone back and forth on quitting and contuining collecting, thanks for this article!

I'n off to bed now, but am saving it and will read it tomorrow for sure! :) 

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    good read maz, lots of different perspectives.

6. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is one of your best articles, Maz. I share many of the same concerns of your contributors; fortunately, I have not yet reached a point where I have to quit.

I would like to add one point. One good thing about this hobby is that it's possible to recoup a portion of or even the entire amount that we've spent if ever we decide to get out. Cannot say the same thing about how a lot of other people spend their money.

7. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Beautiful article and pics, Maz! I especially love the Mini-bot pics. :) 

I'm currently giving up most of my movie stuff, even my previously beloved MPM-2 Masterpiece Bumblebee. I've lost my fondness for the movieverse for some time now, and I also need the cash and space.

8. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

Your writing is so eloquent. This is some of your best yet.

9. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Great article, there's something we can all relate to there. I think I also got back into TF's because I was going through a rough time in my teens, and they were a way of recalling happier days.

I've amassed huge amounts of TF's in my time, and have probably owned about 60% of all TF's that have been released domestically in the UK since 2001. However, there have been periods of needing money, space, or just plain losing interest in the hobby for a while, and I've purged my collection several times in one way or another.

And what's interesting is that, largely, I've never missed what I've sold. I was terrified of selling off my classics collection, but it actually felt liberating as I no longer had to "keep up with the joneses" in pre-ordering the latest figure because the chances are it would be hard to find (and probably wouldn't make an appearance in the UK). There's been only one time when i've sold something and wished I hadn't, but other than that I'm actually pretty good at knowing which figures I could happily part with. There's about 10 figures I own that I would never sell, and I actually hope to get down to that magic 10 some day. It would certainly save on space!

These days, I think I'd now probably describe myself as a "casual" collector. I still know my stuff about TF's and follow this site daily, but when it comes to the actual purchasing of TF's I only purchase what I like the look of (so no line completionism for me), and I only display a few TF's at a time together (regardless of the line) and rotate them out every now and again. It's actually a really nice, relaxed way to collect, as you appreciate the figures more on their own merits rather than how they fit into the mass of figures crammed together on the shelf.

10. Genetic

Genetic Morg Than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    In all honesty I think the psychological effects would be good if done right. I used to tell my ex's kids that they could look but not touch and if they wanted to see anything I'd bring it down and show them. I told them that the toys were old and expensive so they learned from that.

Most importantly I think it sets a good example to a child. There's far too much pressure to be an adult and be serious; most people hide their collections because they fear it being labelled childish. People always love my collection and tell me how they'd love to collect something so clearly most people want to do it but feel it's socially unacceptable. Teaching a child to be true to themself and to be happy is probably the best lesson they could learn.

11. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm currently going through a reduction of my collection, selling off all the figures that I bought pretty much for the sake of buying them. I've worked my way through the Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Movie and Binaltech/Alternator parts of my collection and I'll be moving on the the RID part next. I do plan to keep my G1 and BW figures and I'm still a Generations/Classics/Masterpiece Collector, but I'm selling off more than I'm buying (both in numbers and value).

Basically I decided if I wasn't going to open the figure, there was no point in buying it or keeping it and it's made a big difference.

12. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone. I can certainly attest to having been guilty of "keeping up with the Joneses" at times in the past. It just bites you down the line anway.

Also fully agree with Genetic's words about turning it into a positive influence for kids. My daughter has her first Transformer, a Generations Wheeljack and from my standpoint it fights gender stereotyping, it provides her with a challenge and a puzzle that maybe she's currently too young to solve but she loves the toy and hands it to daddy and says "man" when she wants it transformed...it's lovely to share that with her. Oh, she can almost say "Wheeljack" too :D 

All the best
    Maz

13. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

This was a great article. I, too, have had doubts about whether to continue collecting or not. Money isn't an issue for me, and I'm definitely not a hoarder (only a small space is needed for my collection). My uncertainty has more to do with how people might look at me and my hobby. I've gotten to the point, however, where I don't care. I'm not going to let society or age dictate my interest. I'm simply going to keep doing this until the passion is gone (if ever). Also, like you Maz, I have a little one that I can enjoy this with as well.

14. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Great work Maz, I myself often re direct my collection and focus on only certain areas of the fandom. Sometimes when I feel like I'm getting burned out I just refocus on only what means something to me personally. I end up selling a lot of fluff and redirect it to something with personal value.
    My son who is now 9 sometimes emulates my (BAD) MIB/MISB habits lol. He has shelf's full of toys he don't want to open. He will definitely open some stuff but when he gets something special to him he likes it perfect. I do not encourage this behavior sometimes it’s just built into you.
    When I was younger I kept every box, cardback and piece of paper that came with my toys. Which turned me into the collector I’m today.

Great read!

15. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Well done Maz, and great read. I found that after I stopped "keeping up with the Joneses", dumped the fallacy that I had to catch 'em all, realized that going to Botcon isn't an obligation, reduced the sheer volume of what I had to what I REALLY like, and became pickier about what I add I am enjoying collecting MUCH more than I have in many years.

Now I can look at the "what's in the pipeline" announcements and no matter if it's mainstream US, a foriegn release, Botcon/TFCC, 3rd party...I don't cringe at "wow, that's going to cost a fortune" because I'm only going to chase the half dozen or so that hit that sweet spot to make me want to pull the trigger.

Once I stopped being a completist it was like a huge weight was off my shoulders.

16. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well..Thats a pretty fresh angle I didn't look at.

17. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    great article as usual Maz! I'm going to get married in a few months time and preparing for married life kinda puts me in this crossroads so your article really hits me where it counts.

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get back to the boards much these days, but I'm always down for a Maz article. I can relate to many of the perspectives shared there. At one point I owned just over 6500 Transformers, plus every statue, bust, and "extra" I could find. I began the process of clearing them out in 2009, and while it continues to be a huge effort with a lot of stops and starts, I've never had a moment's regret during the process of liquidating.

It took the arrival of a TF line that I greatly disliked to make me realize buying for the sake of having them all was a destructive approach. Once that realization took hold, I also realized that 90% of my TF collection had zero sentimental value, and yet every month I had to pay for air conditioned storage to maintain it. Additionally, I did some planning/math and realized I would need at least five 12x12 rooms to adequately display everything, which is ridiculous. The fact that in the last five years I've seen nothing on store shelves that has piqued my interest has also helped.

My TF collection is probably under 800 now--still a lot more boxes to go through, but closing in on the finish line. The day I look forward to is the day I have only exactly the things I want (keeping G1 84-85, MP, Alternity, Alt/BT). I still feel an appreciation for some of the great characters--Dinobot, for example--but no longer feel the need to own a dozen versions of the mold. Or even one, for that matter.

Thanks again for the article. I guess my tag over the left shouldn't be Generation All anymore. :) 

19. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm scaling back for a similar reason. Weddings are expensive!

20. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes it is! I'm not scaling back though since my fiance doesn't want me to. Heck, she loves my collection and even wants me to continue regardless if we get married and start a family. I'm just now gonna be more selective with my purchase.