GIJOE better then ROTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by aprim, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Her tits are too small.

2. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

tf2 is better gijoe

3. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

my two cents:

If GI Joe is written even marginally better than ROTF, it will be declared as super awesome while ROTF will be denounced as super fail.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This describes me exactly.

I was wearing Joe hater pants too, but now I think I've warmed up to it.

ROTF left a kind of "meh" taste in my mouth. It was alright, but for some reason I just felt unsatisfied, which was a feeling that grew more and more. And the more Joe trailers I see during this time, the more I warm up to it. I'm even alright with the whole goofy accelerator suit thing.

The only thing at this point that I just don't get it the Cobra Commander stuff we have seen. It could be just a stop along the path to his final look though so I am not going to let that affect my opinion of a movie I haven't seen yet.

It looks like it could be fun, some early reviews have called it fun, and that is really what I want. I know it isn't going to be the Joe I grew up with, and I am ok with that. I think it will do alright, and do what Transformers did for the brand: expand it to a much wider audience.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pencil thin mustaches are only ever good in Jimmy Buffet songs.

6. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    The Action Force name should be put in Context:
    From 87 onwards, most European countries were using G.I.Joe, aside from the UK which dropped it in 1990. IIRC, the only countries which retained the name after that were Germany and possibly some countries such as Sweden, Norway etc.

The European ROC package has filecards with multiple languages on them... leaving room for about one sentence. I'm fairly sure G.I.Joe will stick in all European markets.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

It's not really a question of realism... military exoskeletons ARE something that's been discussed a lot, and GIJOE has always had an element of sci-fi and cutting edge technology. But I would say that techy "007" flavour has never really totally overridden the fundamental "team of ordinary soldiers who are just damn good at their various jobs" feeling of original GIJOE... and when I say "original" bear in mind that I'm usually talking about the comic books, which were better written and more realistic than the cartoon.

From the trailers, I think the futuristic aspect has now officially overwhelmed the original "vibe" of GIJOE.

Wetsuit actually had a more conventional airmask/headset thing. Deep Six is probably the character you're thinking of, who had an armoured pressure-resistant deep sea diving suit... which is not exactly unrealistic.

Sgt Slaughter was ridiculous under any circumstances, and is better forgotten if at all possible. :) 

:lol  Maybe that's it! :) 

But hey... Baroness was never really defined solely as a busty type (not until a generation later, when fanboy artists started drawing her that way). She can be a voluptuous Monica Bellucci OR a sleek Kate Beckinsale, but in the end I think it's all about the sexy glasses, man! Without them, it's just not her. ;) 

zmog

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Nah, it's all about the tits.

Actually that's my rule for life.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If given the choice I would have liked for them to go more with the comic book feel than the cartoon feel, but going in I figured it was would have to go one way or the other. On the bright side at least GI Joe is brand that seems to be able to pull either the silly over the top like the cartoons or the more serious like the comic books.

Hard to tell from the trailers if they managed to nail the team aspect of GI Joe or not. Hard to tell if they pulled of Cobra as well since making something GI Joe means getting Cobra right. The summer has seemed rather short on really cool movie bad guys so I can only cross my fingers that Cobra can manage to be stand out bad guys worth of the list of great film villains.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Agreed. What's kind of cool about reading the old GIJOE comics, is I now realize that it's really the Cobra Show. The series hinges WAY more on the various personalities and power struggles and twists within Cobra than with the actual members of GIJOE. With a precious few notable exceptions (Snake-eyes mostly) the Joes are pretty much just a rotating cast of guest characters to prop up the Cobra cast. Which is cool, but not something I'm expecting the movie to capture.

zmog

12. tfan123

tfan123 Well-Known Member

F**k critics! while i did love gijoe just as much as ROTF, ROTF is still #1 on my best movies of the decade list.
    So, just to recap: F*ck anybody who disses ROTF, Micheal Bay, Megan Fox or any body involved with this move!well except maybe shia labeof and tom kenny

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

...you bumped this thread?

Really?

Really?

Good grief. Thread over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.