GIJOE better then ROTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by aprim, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

So what roles will be allowed in Ephlandtopia? And how else am I supposed to gauge whether to go and see a film than by listening to the opinions of people who've seen it?

Anyone who bases their judgement on one reviewer is asking for trouble. I don't know anyone who likes exactly all the same things I do. You read around, get a feel for what different people think and why. A review is one person's subjective opinion. You're as likely to agree or disagree with it as you are with any other opinion. Arguing that critics are pointless because you don't always agree with them is a deeply flawed notion.

2. Rodimus666

Rodimus666 Member

Please tell me you're kidding...

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    How about looking at the commercials/advertisements/trailers, and seeing if the film interests you?

I agree. In fact, I think that was my whole point.

Again, I'm pretty sure I covered that. Did you happen to read where I wrote that although that's helpful, I'm the final say on what I will like?

I didn't argue that critics are pointless because I may or may not agree with them. They are pointless (again, in my opnion) for the exact reason you yourself stated: they are one person with a subjective opinion that I'm as likely to agree or disagree with as I am any other. So therefore, I can't really place much value on that opinion, can I?

Thank you for arguing purely for the sake of arguing.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    700 million and my enjoyment of it suggest it turned out great. Be careful when stating opinions as fact.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    this

6. EvaleSuperion

EvaleSuperion Banned

News Credits:
    Sorry to say this, but ROTF is probably one of the worst films ever, so it doesn't say much when they say G I Joe is more enjoyable.

Yes, ROTF had some GREAT scenes, but besides some of the fighting scenes it SCREAMS FAILURE!

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Baby ILD's #1 fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Toy wise, I already see kids running past the TFs to pick up Joes. But that doesn't mean it will do better or worse. Just an observation I made in more than one store.

8. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Still doesn't tell me if it's good. It tells me if they could salvage 60-120 seconds of interesting material from the film. Have you ever seen Crocodile Dundee? Not a great film, did very well largely on the strength of a trailer that contained all the good bits. And they WERE good, but there wasn't enough to sustain a film.

To be honest, I'm staggered anyone would seriously suggest that adverts for a product are a better guide to it than the views of people with experience of it. I'm sure the Iraqi tourist board would say Iraq's a delightful place to take your holiday. People who've been there recently might disagree.
    If it was, you need to look back at what you wrote. You may have meant "you should listen to more than one critic" but what you said was "'professional movie critic' is a very unnecessary role in our society." Bit of a difference.
    Yes I did. It doesn't make any sense, so I left it alone. Of course you have the final say on what you like! I'm not going to sit here telling you that you like apples if you're saying you can't stand the things. However, if you then argue that apples should be stricken from the face of the Earth, you will be wrong.
    You still haven't explained why they don't have a role. You don't listen to critics. Fine. That doesn't explain why they don't have a role in modern society, unless you're suggesting that everyone thinks like you.
    Don't be a sore loser.

9. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

I didn't like what I saw from the trailer. That Eiffel Tower with green acid thrown upon it looked really fake.

10. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope so, I enjoyed ROTF but I really want to see this GI-JOE movie.

11. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Be careful when stating my opinion is fact.
    It turned out bad, to me, thats is a fact. But to you, it was Great! Im cool with that.

700 million don't really mean anything to me, I see it twice and still didn't like it.

Its seems for every 1 person who a hates it, there is one who loves it. So be it.

12. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    you win.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Yeah, Oscars politcs aren't really a valid dismissal of a single critics view of a film. Lots of people consider the Oscars for RotK to be apologies for recieving none for the arguably superior previous movies.

I don't really understand your point here. I laid it out quite clearly why critics can be considered a valuable resource for those who carefully consider their viewing choices. You've taken what I said to mean "treat critics as the messiah and follow them".

If I can only afford or spare the time to see one movie a month, I had better damn well be sure I am getting my time or moneys worth. Where do I turn? Trust previews? Hell no. Being suckered in by well edited trailers is the worst possible way to judge a film of being worth my time. Everyone's been suckered in by an awesome trailer at least once if not more(Hellooooooo Phantom Menace).

If I'm under restrictions then all I can do is arm myself by researching the topic at hand if the movie doesn't get a free pass due to director, franchise etc.

Critics are there to help me make an informed choice. End of story. Whether I'm making damn sure I see every movie Ebert hates or I'm surveying my 10 favourite movie critics via Rottentomatoes, I'm going in with more knowledge and assurance than I ever would by going in off just watching a trailer.

Feel free to swap out the word "critic" for "friends" or whatever, the outcome is still the same, I'm using others opinions to make my own call before wasting hours of my life and ten bucks.

14. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    you win harder.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

's not about winning, it's about reaching an understanding. Myself, I tend to fall in to your method of thinking most of the time, but at the same time, if I find myself erring on the side of caution I hit the critics like they owe me money ;) 

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I want GI Joe to be a success.
    I really do.

But look at the advance reviews on AintItCoolNews for... um... any movie and then compare the movie's financial success and impact on popular culture and you will find the majority of the time the two do not match.
    Hollywood history for the past few years would be quite different if it matched the views on that site.
    I guess I wouldn't be so skeptical if AintItCoolNews wasn't generally so contrary.
    GI Joe is clearly the underdog when compared to Transformers.
    I suspect that if the film is successful and there is a sequel then AintItCoolNews will be stating that the sequel is no good -in advance of its release no less.

And honestly, I don't understand the "this movie is better than that movie" school of thought.
    I liked Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade better than Quantum of Solace.
    Does that mean that I didn't enjoy both of them?
    You hated it and saw it twice?
    And there has to be a different ratio than 1:1.
    There is no way you reach $700 million if half of your audience is displeased.

17. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    No way GI Joe will suck compared to the best movie ever Revenge of the Fallen.

18. Revan

Revan Well-Known Member

When I first heard about a live action GI-JOE movie, I nearly wet myself. Then hearing that Ray Parks was going to play Snake-Eyes. I nearly fainted. I was so excited, and the teaser was sweet. But, now with them showing more of the movie. I'm not impressed, those "Halo" power suits seem stupid, and the animation for the film looks pretty poor. Granted it may just be a rough cut, but still. It almost looks like the studio is trying to make it look like a comic book on the big screen. If they wanted the real world feeling with this movie they should have cut those power suits from the movie. And stuck with the charactors and some advanced vehicles. Like that Cobra hovering fighter thing, that Duke jumps to. I can buy that ship, and something like the HISS tank, as "real world". But those super-suits are pushing it.

19. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That's ironic, because powered armor is a technology that's actually being developed, and HISS tanks aren't (AFAIK).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.